Dads brother has died

crybabe

Nov 28, 2012
hi all, my first time posting although been a lurker for a few years. My dads brother died last week and my problem is do I tell him. The last time they saw each other was 4years ago at my mums funeral. He was diagnosed 6years ago and has good days and bad days. I am so confused and don't want him getting upset.Im his main carer and do everything for him please could I have some advise thanks

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP crybabe.
I'm sorry about your uncle. If you dad never saw or spoke to his brother I wouldn't tell him. I don't see any reason to upset him unnecessarily.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm also in the 'don't tell him camp'. If your Uncle wasn't part of your Dad's life on a day to day basis I don't see anything good coming out of telling him. While your Dad may not remember the sad news he may just remember the emotions stirred up.

I know it's in our nature to be honest with our parents so I can understand how difficult this must be for you.

Take care

Lyn T XX

crybabe

Nov 28, 2012
Thanks for your replies, that was my thoughts not to tell him but wanted some other thoughts and advise ,thanks again

hariyaksh

Aug 26, 2015
hi all, my first time posting although been a lurker for a few years. My dads brother died last week and my problem is do I tell him. The last time they saw each other was 4years ago at my mums funeral. He was diagnosed 6years ago and has good days and bad days. I am so confused and don't want him getting upset.Im his main carer and do everything for him please could I have some advise thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I agree with Cat that there is virtually no point in telling him. Either he'll get very upset and it may adversely affect him, or he will be indifferent. So, all in all, both these scenarios are unnecessary and can be easily avoided.