Is this the final phase for my father?

vgulla

Sep 21, 2015
Hello All
I have been following these forums for few months now and they have been extremely helpful especially because here in India, there is very little support or counselling for the caregivers from the doctors.

To cut the long story short, after the most recent stroke followed by seizures 7 weeks ago, my father's doctor and us decided he has reached the terminal stage and to continue palliative care at home. These strokes and seizures left him completely bed ridden and doubly incontinent.
It has been an emotional roller coaster to say the least. His food intake has gradually come down and for the last 15 days or so, he is just having either 2-3 spoons of ensure or yoghurt per meal. For the last 5 days, he is having even that just once a day.
Last week he seems to have some wierd sleep-awake cycles with being in deep sleep for 36-48 hours followed by 36 hours of being awake, agitated and restless. Since then, his intake has come down even more. Doctor suggested we give him ativan along with Risperidone at night to calm him so he will sleep. That seemed to have helped.. however, he is now completed knocked off not even waking up when we give sponge bath or change his diapers.
His urine output has significantly come down.
We are not sure what to expect.. and I feel guilty thinking this way but, how long should he hang like this..when he clearly has no quality of life?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP. I'm sorry you're having such a tough time.
Unfortunately nobody can answer the how long question.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello....sorry that you Dad's condition has deteriorated.
Although I'm not a medic, it does sound to me as if the end may be approaching. ....and no you are not evil to be thinking and planning ahead. I found it helped me to face my Mum's death by being practical.

Naturally his urine utput will be low because he is not taking in enough fluids, soft, pureed fruit, ice cream or jelly might help a bit to boost his levels, but if he won't take in liquids you can't force him. I found using a baby's sipping spouted cup helped, because Mum could suck on the spout even lying down. I could even get her to drink tea You can moisten his mouth by giving him little sponges to suck on.
My own feelings would be that if Dad is peaceful and painfree, then this would be a kind end. Unfortunately, and regrettably, there is no time scale that I can give you.
Thinking of you ...love Maureen.x

vgulla

Sep 21, 2015
Renal failure

Thank you for your comforting words. Dad still is pretty knocked off.. with very little urine output. He is not able to swallow and doctors advised not to force feed since they think he might be in end stage renal failure.
We are hoping he continues to be comfortable and peaceful.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi
Sounds similar to OH. Although the day before the end he had massive urine output no one could understand. He supposedly got a chest infection, so he didn't last long, but this is not always the case.
Wishing you good luck.

vgulla

Sep 21, 2015
1 week since he woke up

So, my father slept on tuesday night (22nd) and hasn;t woken up since. He is not able to swallow drops of water also since 26th and has been semi-conscious. Doctor put urine catheter to relieve the abdomen distention. Urine output has almost stopped for 4 days now with about 20-30ml of dark colored coming. His breathing is loud with on and off wet coughs
Hate to see him like this.. but, how much longer before he is at peace?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((hugs))))
I do not think it will be much longer now from what you have said - especially with the breathing.
This is the last final vigil

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
It is impssible to say how long....he must be a strong minded person.
I have sat in your seat and all I can say is laugh, talk aloud and remember, let him sense that he is with you. He will let go when it's time.x.x.

vgulla

Sep 21, 2015
It's over

So, my father passed on 29th Sept. The last 12 hours were particularly hard to see him with his labored breathing (death rattle is apparently the official term for it) but the doctors assured us that he was not feeling as much as the distress we felt. Well, anyway.. the last breath seemed peaceful and we sure hope he is in a better place now rejoining my mother who left us 7 years ago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan Smith