Bereavement counselling

jsymoonbeam2

Feb 27, 2014
Dursley Gloucestershire
Bereavement Councelling for Carers who looked after Alzheimers patients

Hi

I lost my darling mother to Alzheimers and Vascular Dementia(apparently it only effects 10% of sufferers) on 20 August 2015. I am numb just trying to keep busy but there is this void that I feel cannot be filled. My question is is there a bereavement service for carers like myself. I am aware of Cruse but think that they are just a general bereavement counselling service. Can someone enlighten me. Much appreciated

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Can give a "sort of" answer ...

The GP Surgery my parents attend has a free counselling service and (had?) a free bereavement counselling service. My Mum (even though she was at mid stage with dementia as well as being "stuck" grieving for her much loved sister) was helped through this bereavement counselling service. Coincidentally the counsellor was also a carer.

If the counsellor you've already sorted out for yourself doesn't "gel" with you why not try whether your GP Surgery offers something suitable?

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Hi

I lost my darling mother to Alzheimers and Vascular Dementia(apparently it only effects 10% of sufferers) on 20 August 2015. I am numb just trying to keep busy but there is this void that I feel cannot be filled. My question is is there a bereavement service for carers like myself. I am aware of Cruse but think that they are just a general bereavement counselling service. Can someone enlighten me. Much appreciated

Do you have a Carers Trust in your area? We have one that used to offer counselling but it was counselling for carers not necessarily bereavement counselling. Wouldn't Cruse help you with aspects of bereavement related to your caring role?

In the meantime, other people have mentioned a book which they found really helpful (I'm half way through it and I think it's great) Overcoming Grief by sue Morris.