feel this is the end for Mum

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
I haven't posted anything for over a year now so here goes.Mum has vascular dementia mixed with Alzheimers,she is 76 and has lived in a wonderful care home for the past 3yrs.She has had this horrible illness for about 8 yrs.On sunday she fell and was taken to hospital with a broken hip which was operated on under gen anaesthetic ( mon).Since then she has deteriorated rapidly;she looks a waxy colour,she cannot swallow and is supposedly being fed stage 3 fluid and a tsp of puree ;she is semi concious most of the time with her eyes partially open;she is not now on any intravenous fluids and not catheterized presumably as she is not taking fluids no urine is being produced; her mouth is dry and open and her neck looks swollen;This is all so shocking that I'm finding this hard to describe;I just wish she could slip away as my sister and our two children feel so desperately sorry for her and we feel so useless.When we visit or ring for updates on Mum ,the hospital staff just say she's ok which she evidently is n't.I just feel so so sad and wish the end would come for her soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Sorry to read that your mum is so unwell. Keep visiting, holding her hand and giving her your love. She will be aware that you are there even if dementia is in control.

Wishing you all peace.

Sasky

Jan 29, 2014
Ashford, Kent
So sorry, I know exactly what you are going through this is what happened to my Mum after she broke her hip it's heartbreaking. I am thinking of you

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
Mum still won't let go

Mum is still hanging on to life;her care home manager visited her yesterday in hospital and we have all agreed that Mum is at end of life and should be moved to her care home where she will be allowed to die with love and care;she looks like she has had a brain bleed according to her care home manager and she is unresponsive with her eyes half open and a very dry mouth.She is being fed teaspoons of porridge and purees- again only about 4 teaspoons a day.I hope she does make it back to the home as they are an exceptional team of caring people and at least she would feel the love they have for her there.We have been to see Mum and we have told her to go peacefully as her Mum and our Dad are waiting for her.I never thought I could ever feel so sad and I feel for my sister,my 16yr old son and niece- that will be all that is left of my lovely family.I only hope that Mum gets the peace soon that she so deserves.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
So hope that the move back to care home goes well for your mum and that you find the strength to get through what is to come. So sorry, but don't know what to type next, so please take care of yourself.

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
Thankyou so much;Mums due back in her care home as soon as the hospital bed is delivered to recieve love and palliative care ;just hope the end of her horrific journey is peaceful .

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Your Mum's CH is definitely the best place for her. She will be with people who know her and who will help her on her final journey.

I hope all will be peaceful.

Love

Lyn T XX

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
So sorry to read about your poor Mum. Hope she is soon back at her care home to be made as comfortable as possible. Thinking of you and your family at this emotional and painful time. Take care.

Weary

Aug 1, 2014
I'm so sorry, I know how awful it is waiting for your loved one to pass and feeling so helpless. Hang on in there all our thoughts are with you . I hope your mum passes gently soon then you will both be released from this horrible illness.

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Hi Tomkitten
So sorry to hear about your Mum. I think this is the worst time as you feel you are in limbo. I hope you manage to get her back to the NH in time so she can get the care with dignity that she deserves.
Sending (((((hugs))))) for you and your Mum.
Luv
Polly x

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
mum back in her CH

Mum finally got back to her lovely care home complete with hospital bed.The staff are amazing and turn her every 2 hrs;she is totally incontinent now but only produces tiny amounts of urine as she;s not drinking anything;the staff try to give her stage 3 thickened fluids via a syringe but its not always successful;Mum's GP has taken her off all meds as she is unable to swallow;I assume that she has forgotten how to swallow but the CH staff say the reflex may come back;I don;t know. but she does have a slow deliver morphine patch ;I don't think Mum will ever walk again as she is so weak she lies in this vast padded bed watching childrens tv.She looks so much more cared for a nd the staff keep her mouth moist ;It is heart breaking to watch her -I ask myself how long can this go on; Mum hasn't eaten or drunk anything properly for 3 weeks.I wish the end would come for her as there is no dignity with this wretched illness.
Thank you everyone for your kind words-they mean a lot as there is only me, my sister and our 2 teenage children in our family and sometimes it is difficult to talk to each other as it is too painful x