Have you used an Alzheimers Cafe?

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Have just read this thread - what a wonderful idea - will be on the phone tomorrow to see if there is one here.

Welcome Andy and thank you for raising it. AZ Soc is marvellous but we do need to dig now and again.

Last edited:

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Our Local Branch has a Carer/former Carer Coffe and Chat morning and spouces with A.D. and Dementia
have entertainment, raffle and it has been going for several years in our area and it is so popular.
For those who cannot drive, we arrange a taxi to pick them up and take then back home.
I wonder how many other Branches do this ?
Christine

Blueandy

Jan 5, 2008
Ramsgate, Kent
Hi Sylvia
the address I have is:
47 Orchard Road Westbrook, Margate Kent CT9 5JS.
Hope this helps you.
Regards.
Andy.

Hi Sylvia
I now have the correct address for the Alzheimer's cafe in Westbrook.
People meet at the:

Forget Me Not Cafe
Westbrook House
150, Canterbury Road
Westbrook
Kent.
Tel: Jenny on 01843 254114
The hours of opening at present are:
Tuesdays - 2-4
Saturdays - 2-4
It may be possible that this venue may be open for 3 days a week depending on attendance, so please tell others you know about this much needed service.
Regards.
Andy.:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Andy.

I won`t be able to go until the weather is warmer, I can`t get my husband to put his foot out of the door while it`s so cold. I`ll certainly try it out ASAP. and have copied the details.

When I went to the Memory Clinic Support Group last month, at St George`s Church in Ramsgate, the staff from the Sarre Centre, had only just heard about this Cafe.

As soon as I`ve been I`ll let you know.

Thanks again

Love xx

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Am told our area in North East Wales will have an AZ Cafe soon.

Will keep worrying at it because it sounds so good.

Last edited:

Blueandy

Jan 5, 2008
Ramsgate, Kent
Alzheimer's cafe.

Hi all
as the Alzheimer's cafe is still a fairly new concept, it appears to depend on who runs these venues as to the activities and support that is available, also their knowledge of the original idea that the Alzheimer's cafe is modelled on.
I am aware there may be financial constraints on the organisers regarding the amount of input that can be available ie, guest speakers,literature etc.
However, it may also depend on how well these venues are attended as to the need for the service. It has been pointed out to me that there may be people who do not have internet access, and also may have difficulty in getting to a venue if there is one in their area, so would just like to ask people who read this to get talking to other people and make them aware of this service.
I have read about other Alzheimer's cafe's and how people tend to help out people in their area by offering a lift or keeping them updated about what is going on. We all know that any help/support that can be accessed is like gold dust and a life line for many people. I am sorry to go on, but I am passionate about this concept and believe that it can have many great benefits for people with MH problems and for carers.
If you are unable to find and Alzheimer's Cafe in your immediate area, please message me and I will do my best to find the nearest venue to you. Thanks again.
Andy.:)

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
I have been attending an Alzheimers Cafe in Farnborough, Hants for many years, we usually have a monthly talk, a rolling programme of different subjects, which is repeated on a yearly basis. We usually have two social evenings, one at christmas and one in the summer where a jazz band entertains. We have coffee, tea, and nibbles and wine after the presentation. The cafe is normally full to overflowing which proves there is a need for this sort of club. The cafe is set up like a real cafe with candles on the tables, which makes for a nice relaxing environment, it really is a very friendly evening out. It is also useful as lots of professional people come to the cafe, and they are always ready to answer any questions or help with any problems that you may have. I'll try and find the website.

Carol

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Our cafe is called The Friendship Cafe and is run by our admiral nurse service. It is such a shame that the Admiral Nurse service is not a nationwide service as they are an invaluable aid for carers. They also make home visits and will stay with a carer throughout the good and the bad times. The cafe meets once a month and the admiral nurses organise a theme for each meeting - last month it was a wine and chese party with questions about - of course - cheese and wine. It was great fun and a lovely pleasant atmosphere. Ken was made very welcome, some carers brought their loved one, others came by themselves. Past carers were also welcome.

We are doubly lucky in that the Local Authority also pays for part timer carer support workers - one for each area in the town. They offer advice and give tremendous support just as the admiral nurses do, they make home visits. They really care about their caerers! Between them they cover weekly or fortnightly events such as renting a local club, where indoor games such as skittles, pin ball games etc can be played, through to Crafty Carers sessions with handicraft sessions such as card making. where carers can come with or without their loved ones, past carers also use the service. During November and December there was a myriad of events organised by the above pepole. We are truely blessed with some wonderful people and a Health Trust, and Local Authority who have put their money into such things. xxx TinaT

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christine03