Toilet problem, denial and aggression

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Thank you Kevini, I usually check my posts as well, being subject to missing letters and a self-correcting iPad ( well, it thinks it is!).

Prospector

Sep 30, 2014
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Just a follow-up note. I have finally got my wife clear of UTI and she is happily wearing discreet incontinence knickers (I call them "disposables" when talking to her ). I have also managed to get her to wash properly each day.
She is not incontinent, as she knows she needs to go, she just sometimes can't work out what to do when she gets to the WC or bathroom. Her AD started as posterior cortical atrophy which has a big impact on her visuospatial perception. I have mats and towels on these floors which makes clean-up easier. Since clearing her UTI she has been more on-target when using the toilet.
I may have been wrong about the donepezil, as I have witnessed a few more occasions of very loose poo in between healthier-looking specimens since she stopped taking it. Quite possibly donepezil might help her work out what to do.
She is just starting on memantine and we'll review with the doctor whether to re-try donepezil after this has established, especially as now she has a better cleaning routine to reduce her risk of UTI.
It's been a long and hard few months, but I feel like we are starting to come out of the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Good to hear that things are looking up a bit Prospector. Hopefully the memantine will work for your wife and this will also make life a bit easier for both of you.