A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sylvia do you think we could set up a TP book club?

We do have a long running Thread Cat

A TP book club - what are you reading now?

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?22607-A-TP-book-club-what-are-you-reading-now

For everyone to read the same book might be difficult. I know when Dhiren was home I didn`t read at all because a] I couldn`t put my mind to it and b] if I did I would be interrupted.

There is nothing to stop you asking others if they would like to share and discuss specific books.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Sylvia and Saffie, I can relate to so much that you say. I admit, I dread the winter with the dark cold evenings, but know I have to weather it.

The activities I have started doing are things I know that Roger would have had no interest in, other than the Art course, but he was a talented artist already, unlike me! He would never have gone to the gym or learn to play the keyboard, which for me started to create a new life for myself, even though there are times when I don't want a new life.

I loved my old life (pre dementia), and miss Roger dreadfully. There have been news articles recently that he would have loved to have known about, plus of course things from my life, and even during his illness, I shared these things with him, even though he didn't fully understand.

I am used to my own company, but miss Roger being here. I know I have to accept that he's not coming back.

WE all find our own ways of coping, and no one way is right or wrong, just different.

Sending my love to you both. xx

Last edited:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
We do have a long running Thread Cat

A TP book club - what are you reading now?

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?22607-A-TP-book-club-what-are-you-reading-now

For everyone to read the same book might be difficult. I know when Dhiren was home I didn`t read at all because a] I couldn`t put my mind to it and b] if I did I would be interrupted.

There is nothing to stop you asking others if they would like to share and discuss specific books.

Doh:eek: I've even posted there.
Ignore me:D

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I love York but think I`d be a bit of a party pooper for now.
Maybe next year.

I'm no party animal these days, Sylvia, so you'd be in good company.
Edinburgh wasn't at all like Solihull. None of the hustle and bustle that we experienced there. It was very relaxed and a few of us spent quiet times in our rooms in the afternoon. A necessity for me I'm afraid as my head wasn't behaving itself very well!
It will be next year when we actually go! x

Last edited:

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I was just going to say that Saffie, the bit aboout it being next year I mean.:D
Sylvia, I have plucked up enough courage to say that I hope to be there for at least one day, and would love to meet you as well as the others, but I will understand ( just disappointed) if you cannot make it.OH says I should go, it's simply a case of shyness really. My daughter tells me I have very low self esteem. People don't believe me, I can act strong if I need to, like I did with Mum's funeral, but I can be very shy. Daft I know, I'm 62 years of age.... and I feel like I did on the first day of school........but there you are!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
No need to be scared Maureen and the shyness will soon disappear once you meet us all!
I was terrified going to Solihull but it was fine and there were about 26 there the first evening!
At least you know us Sylvia - well, that might not exactly be an inducement to come! :eek:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I would love to go to a meet up - but would be quite a journey from here, and probably work out far too expensive, with the exchange rate. :-(

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to hear of how you're feeling Sylvia. I can't begin to understand how it must be for you and the others you mention so I won't pretend that I do. I'm just so glad that you can all share how you feel here and find some comfort in knowing that others do understand how it is.

Saffie just beat to it by saying that York is next year!:rolleyes: It would be so lovely if you could come. I know that York is a bustly kind of place but I always feel that you can get sense of calm sitting in some of the lovely places like the Minster. As Saffie said in Edinburgh some of us didn't do very much other than sitting together talking or indeed having a rest in our rooms. Do think about it! x

Silver Lining

Nov 20, 2013
We didn't feel the need to go

Hello everyone from Silver Lining - Back again - My daughter and I didn't feel the need to go to the Funeral Home, John's funeral is on Tuesday.

We had 2 privileged hours with him at home after he died before the undertakers came and felt this was enough.

Kind Regards to everyone from Carole.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
It would be lovely to see you again Sylvia and I would love to meet another northern 'lass' cragmaid and Lady A it would be nice if you find a way of coming to York as well xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Can't find anything about it - when and for how long? I have an FB friend in York. But I'm just such a scaredy-pants about travelling on my own these days!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Sylvia, I do hope you are feeling a little less down hearted. I don't expect you to be bright and chirpy all the time of course, but I hate to think of you being glum, and know that there is no easy remedy.. I hope the family is well.x.x.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m not glum Maureen, really. I`m just a bit antisocial because it`s quite stressful trying to rebuild a life and make new friends
after so many years of caring.

I`ve never been a social butterfly and relocating 13 years ago meant any friends I had were left behind. We still keep in touch by emails and phone calls but all our plans to get out and about when we came here were put on the back burner when the move identified Dhiren`s dementia.

It`s just unfortunate. I`m very self contained and making friends at my age is not easy.

The family is fine. The two girls are off to University, the eldest for her MA and the middle one to Manchester and Pharmacy. The youngest, Harry takes his A Levels this year in drama and media studies. Their grandfather would have been thrilled.

Thanks Maureen. You are very thoughtful.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
One massive step forwards

I love Musical Theatre . We both loved Musical Theatre.

We did manage to see quite a few shows before illness struck, however, once dementia set in and we had to rely on public transport it became more difficult. We went to London to see a show and Dhiren was in tears of exhaustion by the end of the day.

I`ve always wanted to see Blood Brothers. By the time a friend and I decided to go to see it in London , it was too late, the show was closing.

I happened to see it was being performed in Canterbury and so for the first time ever, next Saturday, I`m going alone to a matinee performance.

It might not be a big step to many who are used to going alone but it is for me and I know most people in long term relationships will understand.

I can`t wait. :)

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs

We did manage to see quite a few shows before illness struck, however, once dementia set in and we had to rely on public transport it became more difficult. We went to London to see a show and Dhiren was in tears of exhaustion by the end of the day.

I`ve always wanted to see Blood Brothers. By the time a friend and I decided to go to see it in London , it was too late, the show was closing.

I happened to see it was being performed in Canterbury and so for the first time ever, next Saturday, I`m going alone to a matinee performance.

It might not be a big step to many who are used to going alone but it is for me and I know most people in long term relationships will understand.

I know you will enjoy it. We saw it in Grimsby quite some time ago. So pleased you are going.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent

Blood Brothers is a wonderful show, not as well-known as it should be especially the final song 'Tell me it's not true'. I hope you have a fantastic time.

Status
Not open for further replies.