Do you believe your loved one understood you in the final stage?

Gg2

Jul 19, 2014
I hope it went well Elaina and you are ok x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

elaina

Aug 10, 2015
Somerset
Thanks for thinking of me again. I seemed to find a little strength yesterday and even managed to read a poem. Today rock bottom again. Just been to the grave before setting off for the long trip home.
How are you coping? X

Gg2

Jul 19, 2014
I think I'm in denial. I think I'm pretending he's in the nursing home. I feel peaceful about losing my dad who was so poorly, but I cannot allow myself to think about losing my loving, funny and supportive dad who I was so close to. I can't think about it otherwise I think I'll collapse in a heap and having a toddler and baby due in next few weeks isn't leaving me with that option x

elaina

Aug 10, 2015
Somerset
It certainly is hard to accept the reality of it all.
You need to feel at peace at this time before giving birth. I think your dad continues to support you and look after you x

allend100

Jul 11, 2011
Leicestershire
What I believe is that for every hour spent with someone with dementia there are times, maybe fleeting moments, that they know you are there and who you are. For those moments I'll be forever thankful, it was worth every minute of my time, every story I read aloud, every hold of a hand and every stroke of the hair.

I hope you can believe that your dad knew

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Do and think whatever gets you through Gg2 - it's not denial, it's living - we all find ways to keep living - your dad had a hand in making you the lovely woman and mother you are - he hasn't left you, half of you is him - believe he's just in the next room - the loving, funny and supportive dad who was there for you all your life is proud that you were there for him - he will be just next door always - he will be in the next room when you give birth - he already knows the little one you will soon meet - he has no intention of leaving - put up some happy photos of him around the house and smile back at him - wrap yourself in his favourite jumper and have a hug
and if you think these are just platitudes to appease you - well, they got me through my mum's death and they see me through today as I slowly lose my dad
when he looked in your eyes he saw you and I agree with Elaina, he's still watching over you - take whatever comfort from him you need

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
What I believe is that for every hour spent with someone with dementia there are times, maybe fleeting moments, that they know you are there and who you are. For those moments I'll be forever thankful, it was worth every minute of my time, every story I read aloud, every hold of a hand and every stroke of the hair.

I hope you can believe that your dad knew

My feelings exactly allend100 x

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Do and think whatever gets you through Gg2 - it's not denial, it's living - we all find ways to keep living - your dad had a hand in making you the lovely woman and mother you are - he hasn't left you, half of you is him - believe he's just in the next room - the loving, funny and supportive dad who was there for you all your life is proud that you were there for him - he will be just next door always - he will be in the next room when you give birth - he already knows the little one you will soon meet - he has no intention of leaving - put up some happy photos of him around the house and smile back at him - wrap yourself in his favourite jumper and have a hug
and if you think these are just platitudes to appease you - well, they got me through my mum's death and they see me through today as I slowly lose my dad
when he looked in your eyes he saw you and I agree with Elaina, he's still watching over you - take whatever comfort from him you need

Oh shedrech, this is all so true for me too. My dear dad passed away some 12 years ago....my husband said to me that I had only to touch my own cheek, to feel his :) Somehow that helped. I still feel that dad is near me, and has given me unending love and support.

I hope you can continue to remember your dad in whatever way you need, Gg2. :)

Sending you (((hugs)))

Lindy xx

Gg2

Jul 19, 2014
These are absolutely love messages. Thank you so much.

I do believe that he is half in me and I believe I am so strong at the moment because he made me that way. He was also a very sensitive and emotional man and I know that will also come through at some point too.

Once again, thank you so much for the absolutely lovely messages. I also feel there were slight seconds where he knew I was there. I value every moment I held his hand and stroked his hair. I love thinking of him in the next room too. Thanks so much for your thoughts and help xx