My Grandmother has Dementia

hariyaksh

Aug 26, 2015
I am new to this forum so I do not know how things go about it. I would like to start by sharing my story. I have a Grandmother whom I love very much. We used to talk for hours together and I used to share everything with her. One day she started behaving strangely. Her way of talking, her behaviour, everything changed. Ultimately she was diagnosed with FrontoTemporal Dementia or FTD as they call it in medical jargon. Now she barely speaks, stays isolated and do not have the Slightest idea what to do. I did some research but I believe that real life cases would be a far better help. Any suggestions are welcome.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello and welcome hariyash

You can join in discussions, ask questions (best to start a new topic for that) or have a moan/rant. Whatever the problem is, someone on here will have had experience of it.
:)

sarah1987

Aug 17, 2014
I am new to this forum so I do not know how things go about it. I would like to start by sharing my story. I have a Grandmother whom I love very much. We used to talk for hours together and I used to share everything with her. One day she started behaving strangely. Her way of talking, her behaviour, everything changed. Ultimately she was diagnosed with FrontoTemporal Dementia or FTD as they call it in medical jargon. Now she barely speaks, stays isolated and do not have the Slightest idea what to do. I did some research but I believe that real life cases would be a far better help. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi Hariyaksh,

Welcome to talking point. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. That must be difficult for you after being so close. Both my Nan and Grandad have dementia now, I too find it really difficult because they have been such a huge part of my life and now they don't know who I am. I think just try to speak to your Nan the same way you would have normally, tell her all the things you would normally tell her. My Nan doesn't talk very often, she can but she won't initiate a conversation. We tend to just waffle on to her and she responds to that well, you can see her become less restless because of it. Good luck in the future and try to remember all the good times you had with your Grandmother.

hariyaksh

Aug 26, 2015
Hello and welcome hariyash

You can join in discussions, ask questions (best to start a new topic for that) or have a moan/rant. Whatever the problem is, someone on here will have had experience of it.
:)

Thank you. The problem I believe is that I feel she has lost all hope. While I try to communicate with her, she fails to understand me entirely. I'm still struggling to have a proper communication with her.

hariyaksh

Aug 26, 2015
Hi Hariyaksh,

Welcome to talking point. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. That must be difficult for you after being so close. Both my Nan and Grandad have dementia now, I too find it really difficult because they have been such a huge part of my life and now they don't know who I am. I think just try to speak to your Nan the same way you would have normally, tell her all the things you would normally tell her. My Nan doesn't talk very often, she can but she won't initiate a conversation. We tend to just waffle on to her and she responds to that well, you can see her become less restless because of it. Good luck in the future and try to remember all the good times you had with your Grandmother.

Thank You. While it is good to hear the fact that your grandmother responds well, my granny has no idea what is going on around her. Sometimes she won't even look at me while I'm trying to talk to her. I have no idea if she is even listening to what I'm trying to say or my talks make any sense to her. I'm struggling hard to talk to her.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman