My life- without the one I love

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I would be one of those people. The ones that leave it to the new owners. I have tried to leave places clean but I know people would come in and clean it again anyway. I think everyone has different standards and some of you would be horrified by mine. I am not exaggerating, I can see dust behind this monitor that has probably been there for years as I can't reach it easily.

In fact, when we left our last house, we were running very late and didn't have time to clean where the wardrobes, boxes and cupboards had been. The new owner asked us to go back and clean up as there was mould on the carpets and the walls (we didn't know as it was behind all wardrobes and cupboards). It did look awful.

We did our best to clean it up for him. Now I think we would have told him he'd bought the house and it was his problem!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Just been catching up with threads/posts. Soobee, I wouldn't have gone back and done the cleaning!!!! What a cheeky new owner!

My house is now clean! I have a new cooker and hob:) The firm who delivered went beyond the course of duty in fitting them as, of course, there weren't the correct amount of sockets etc.-or safety regards the hob. They advised that I didn't need a new cooker hood as it didn't work because the electricity had been disconected:confused: It looks new so just needs an electrician and a polish. No wonder the previous owner didn't use it. The fitters thought that she had disconnected it when she had a new temperature control thingy fitted for the central heating and she didn't spend out for another socket! (or something like that-electrician coming next week)

Dau and Grandson visited for 5 days-a force of nature that little boy;) Took me hours to clear up after they left:D Then I checked my camera and saw that he had used it to take some pictures of his 'art installations' i.e. my clothes pegs in various patterns in the garden!!!! He is so funny.

Spent the day so far sorting out two of the bedrooms-I wish I could remember to not bang my head in the small room-it's in the eaves and I forget that the ceiling slopes in the corner. I've got friends coming next weekend with their teenager and his friend. Housefull!

I'm sleeping better:)I'm walking the dogs on the beaches so lots of fresh air. Pete would have loved it here. My little cat went missing for a week-I've no idea how she got out. I was frantic. Then she suddenly appeared out of the blue. I've a feeling she has an adopted family somewhere as she wasn't unhealthy looking-far from it. She now turns up every evening for her food and to sleep on my bed, has her breakfast and disappears during the day! I'm very relieved that she is safe and well. Dogs still mad as hatters and getting loads of attention in the cul-de-sac-I've got to know my neighbours really quickly:D;)

I hope you are all coping ok'ish.

Love

Lyn T XX

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
Dear Lyn, how lovely reading you post! I'm so glad you have so many positives to report! Sleeping; happy dogs; contented cats; technical stuff getting sorted-brilliant!
And as for Grandsons and mess, my 4year old GS lives with us so I know ALL about that!!! But he is an absolute treasure,especially when he puts his arms around his tearful confused Grandad and says "don't worry it'll be alright!"
Wishing you lots of happy dog-walks on the beach, with Pete beside you in spirit!
Love Gx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Lovely to read your update Lyn. I'm so glad things are going so well.
Nice to hear you have friendly neighbours too.
We're in a close but it took ages for people to talk and left to me, they probably never would have but Dave talked to everyone so it eventually helped!

How far are you from the sea? Saffie loves to walk on beaches and run in and out of the sea and in every rock pool. Wish I could move nearer to the coast!

It's so good to hear you being so upbeat. I know you've done the right thing moving there. love xxx

Last edited:

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Somehow missed all of these goings on!

Hacky house holders! bring out the worst in me...make me VERY judgemental and I KNOW how frowned upon that is ;) :D

THE CAT MISSING FOR A WEEK OMG!!!

SOOOOO glad she is back.

She is the reason I would never have a cat...I'm too controlling of things I'm responsible for...not laid back enough to have a cat.

I was adopted by a cat once, Nanook. A splendid old tom cat. He was lucky that our little bishon frise, Leo (who thought he was as big as a lion) was very elderly, blind and deaf. Nanook managed to slink his way around the house using Leo's disabilities as a tool.
Sometimes he was caught out as, while missing the use of most of his senses, Leo's nose was still fully functioning. :D

Glad Misty has made her home and found her space, she is showing you the way.

Pete would love it...bet he would have bashed his head on those eaves a few times too!

Nice weekend to look forward too and loads of living in between, sounds just about as good as it could be, helping you over the dark hurdles of memory.

Loads of love to you, Big Billy, Cindy and Misty. XXX

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thank you all for your good wishes. Saffie, I live near to a beach:) Beaches actually! One just over a mile away-at the Harbour. And another one just a minute or two by car. Lazy? No! My Big Billy would be so exhausted walking up the hill -and there is no footpath. :eek: Cindy would run up the hill but I would lag behind with BB. So once I've parked the car it's a 3/4 mile walk downhill to the most glorious beach ever. No toilets, no cafes but seclusion and rock pools and sand. The dogs have smiles on their faces when they see it. So did my Grandson.:) Rock pools and a six year old are a match made in Heaven. Luckily I remembered enough about the sea and it's creatures to impress said Grandson. He said 'Grandma you are so clever'!!!!;):confused:

Of course Cindy and Grandson ran up the path (steep going back) I lagged behind with BB-Dau somewhere in between:)

Gwen-you aren't judgemental-you have strong opinions that's all. We love you for it:):) I'm sorry to read on another thread that Peter needs an operation. You really have more than your share of worries-I hope it all goes well-we demand an update when the time comes. Any chance of you starting your own thread?

Love

Lyn T XX

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I am sure Lyn won't mind me giving you a hug on her thread Gwen. You must do what feels right for you, although we don't all always agree on TP, you are a part of its family and we care how you are and, if we can, would like to support you as you have supported many others - including me. So do what feels right for you but please, make sure you make some time to take care of yourself xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
No toilets, no cafes but seclusion and rock pools and sand. The dogs have smiles on their faces when they see it.
The best kind Lyn - and as far as I'm concerned, the only ones worth bothering with!
Saffie agrees but she'll tolerate the others! x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Dear Lyn, lovely to catch up with your news and good news at that. A good move for you. It sounds bliss down there, all going well and the bonus of friendly neighbours too. Such a contrast to Saffie's less than friendly ones. There's nowt as strange as (some) people. :rolleyes:

Isn't it lovely when the dogs smile! :) A relief that your cat turned up.

I hope you'll write when you can/feel like it, and let us know how life is with you. Enjoy your friends next weekend.

Gwen, I felt so sad reading your post, and you in tears at the end. Yes it does help to have support, you are all mine. I don't know what I'd do without you, especially now I am housebound. (It is driving me mad) Do think about your own thread, perhaps you are bottling up too much emotion and it would actually help you to write and let it out.

You give so much here, you deserve to be given to as well, and It would ease your struggling through another day.

As Celia said, do what feels right for you. We are here....

Not well said - and I don't want to seem intrusive - but well meant.

Love to both you and Lyn

Loo xxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Just caught up. Lyn. Better late than never! Your new location sounds idyllic and so many visitors already. You sound very peaceful so I know Pete is with you in spirit. So pleased your lovely little puss came home. You must have been frantic but it sounds as though she has her routine off pat now. Take care of yourself. Love. Verity

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Sounds like you are being kept busy Lyn :D , place sounds wonderful and all those beach walks. Xx

elaina

Aug 10, 2015
Somerset
Just read this thread for the first time Lynn. Your story reminds me of the children's film "UP" - have you ever seen it. It is the story of a man who carries on the adventures he and his wife had planned after she dies. It is such a moving film.

It is lovely how you give to others whilst feeling so sad yourself.
Brixham is lovely.
Your husband would be so proud of all that you have achieved.
x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My daughter has just returned from a week in a cottage in Dartmouth and has said how friendly the local people around were. So this seems to be borne out by your experience too.
They had a different experience last year in a part of Cornwall and say they will definitely be returning to the same area of Devon next year. xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh Saffie, I love Dartmouth. I went there the other week on the ferry. Lovely.

Well ups and downs for me. I had two builders come to give me quotes on things I needed doing-both said 'Oh no! I wouldn't do that if I were you, Mrs Lyn T'!! Well the point was I wanted certain things doing-left me a bit downhearted I'm afraid. Then another builder (recommended) arrived and yes he can (and will) do the work I want! He can't start til 18th September-but that's good as he is in demand-and he will take me to see some of his work. Strange thing? 18th September would have been Pete's 69th Birthday. A sign of good things to come maybe? You all know what I'm like with my 'signs'.;) Four weeks of chaos but it will be worth it. I have a gas engineer also coming to fit a new boiler, two rads and a new fire in the lounge.

Weather been cloudy and damp for most of the week but on the one glorious day I found a new beach to walk the dogs. 112 steps but it was worth it. Deserted and large with the most wonderful backdrop of cliffs with birds flying overhead. Dare I say I found a few moments peace? Oh! another thing:) Before I left my last abode I had my car MOT'd and I was told that the brake pads would need changing within the next two months (quoted £324). As I hate anything being wrong with the car I booked it in down here. I was told the rear pads still had at least 5000.00 miles left on them so they just changed the front ones for £90.00. Such a difference in price and possibly honesty?

Take care everyone

Lyn T XX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s good to have an update Lynn and it sounds as if you are doing well. I hope you find many more moments of peace in your new environment.

It`s lovely when dates have special meanings. With me, it`s days......Thursdays. :)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Are you knocking walls down Lyn?
You certainly seem to be keeping yourself very busy.
I expect it will all look wonderful when it's finished.

My daughter said the only things about the holiday were the steps, especially to the cottage which was low and overlooked the water and the fact that a dog-friendly beach was about 25 minutes away. Shingle but deserted.

Are you having a real fire? I'd love a wood burner but have no chimney. I've been trying for years to find a really realistic electric one as the one I have isn't brilliant!

I hope all goes well with your builder. love xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Sylvia why Thursdays? Is it a fasting day or a day of special meditation?

Saffie, yes three walls are to be knocked down. The one between the bathroom and an upstairs bedroom (super, smart shower to be fitted) and the dining room wall into a tiny little room (known as my dumping room) and one from a tiny inner hallway to make the main hallway longer-that will save me walking from kitchen to inner hallway to living room to main hallway to dining room!!!!:rolleyes:I will be able to go from kitchen to hallway to dining room-in other words miss out the living room. I hope that is clear!

No real fire -I had one in a house Pete and I lived in and it was hard work-mind you as Pete's mobility started to fade I had to lump bags of coal/firewood up a dozen or so steps to the front door-that did it for me!

I'm just having a replacement inset electric fire in the living room. The present one is gas-I've never tried to see if it's safe thank goodness-the gas engineer said it wasn't and suggested electric.
When the dining room has been made bigger I'm going to look for an electric stove type thing-I haven't seen anything that I like yet!

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
How proud Kirsty would be of you Lyn!
Or perhaps you're not a follower of Location x 3!

I'm sure it will all look great and very much your's if you see what I mean.
Best of luck. xxx