Disappointed

triumph25

Apr 2, 2012
Forest of Dean
Hi all, I know it's a bit selfish, but I am so disappointed. After OH seizure last Friday, we went to see his consultant on Tuesday, and she recommended that we cancel our holiday. It was to be a Mediterranean cruise! The first for both of us, and realistically the last proper holiday we could go on!

I feel very down about it, and don't want to tell OH as we were both so looking forward to it, and I don't want him to think it's his fault!

It was making each day seem that bit more bearable, having that to look forward to and discuss the different places we would visit. It didn't matter that he forgot, because we could go through it all again the next day!

Now it's very difficult trying to carry on as normal, when inside I'm very blue!

This illness takes so much from us in so many ways, even or especially our dreams!

:eek:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It isn't selfish triumph, it's only natural to regret what might have been.
Our plan was a cruise too, not in the Med but along the canals of the UK in our narrowboat (barge). Sadly it's not to be so we just use it as a floating caravan in a marina until my wife's mobility means we have to sell it.
Could you set your sights a bit lower some of the cruises in Norway and the fjords are good and much nearer.
K

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Triumph, so sorry to read your post and I really can sympathise as we had arranged a first ever cruise to the Norwegian Fjords a couple years ago and the day before we were due to go OH got a deep vein thrombosis and we were told not to travel. We'll never be able to do anything like that now together, he wouldn't be able to cope. Perhaps you could arrange a holiday in the UK with help on hand, have you looked at www.dementiaadventure.co.uk? Big hugs. xxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to read your news too Triumph.

Beate has used the Dementia Adventure company and spoke very highly of it.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I have but there are no trained nurses there and personal care costs extra so in your case Revitalise might be a better option. Their next Alzheimer's week is end of September.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Park House at Sandringham will take dementia patients and they do have a trained nurse there.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Park House at Sandringham will take dementia patients and they do have a trained nurse there.

Oh wow, what a find! I wish I'd known about this earlier! They have a themed trains and automobiles week starting tomorrow! Mind, until end of October they are a little on the expensive side but it's good to have options! Bookmarked.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Wish it wasn't so far away from South Wales , looks really good.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
So sorry you've had such a big disappointment Triumph. Hope you can find something from the suggestions. I'll certainly be making a note of these, so I'm glad you posted.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
So sorry to hear you've had to cancel Triumph. This is always my nightmare when I book a holiday, but thank you for posting, I shall also be bookmarking all the suggestions for future reference. xx

Tiller Girl

May 14, 2012
Narrowboats

It isn't selfish triumph, it's only natural to regret what might have been.
Our plan was a cruise too, not in the Med but along the canals of the UK in our narrowboat (barge). Sadly it's not to be so we just use it as a floating caravan in a marina until my wife's mobility means we have to sell it.
Could you set your sights a bit lower some of the cruises in Norway and the fjords are good and much nearer.
K

Hi K

We also have a Narrowboat on the canals. I did think I'd be able to cruise with my OH but to be honest , he is getting to be a liability. I'm fortunate at the moment that my son can come with us but the OH does get a bit agitated especially around bedtime.

We don't go out in August but I'm hoping to do a little bit if cruising in sept/October. someone did tell me of an online cruising club that you can join. He said I'd be able to cruise with a group of others and they'd be understanding of OH. I think the chap said it was called CutWeb.

Tiller Girl

triumph25

Apr 2, 2012
Forest of Dean
Thank you all so much for your replies,& very useful information, much appreciated.

Sorry to take so long to reply, but somehow never seem to find much time! Can't think why! ;)