Really need advice with incontinence issues

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Mum is bedbound so has to have the adult "nappies" - ones they call slips. The carers roll her from one side to the other to put them on and stick the tapes at the sides. I have done it myself but had to run from one side of the bed to the other! Also, even though she is 9 stone she is a dead weight, so very hard to move. It really does need two carers and, although I said I could help one carer, the agency wouldn't work with me because of insurance reasons. I have got used to being "invaded" though now and am grateful for their help.

I find the Napisan powder very good - the cheapest place to get it is in the baby section of Wilko's. You could put that straight in the washing machine if you wanted to, but I get all the smell out by soaking it first. It is a bit of a strain on me, lugging the heavy buckets full of water about but I'm used to it. I don't like the idea of my own washing being tainted by urine so that's why I don't put it straight into the machine.

Does anyone know if Kylie sheets (the actual brand) which Lady A says are more expensive, are in any way better than non-branded pads? I might start a thread to get people's opinions!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Mum is bedbound so has to have the adult "nappies" - ones they call slips. The carers roll her from one side to the other to put them on and stick the tapes at the sides. I have done it myself but had to run from one side of the bed to the other! Also, even though she is 9 stone she is a dead weight, so very hard to move. It really does need two carers and, although I said I could help one carer, the agency wouldn't work with me because of insurance reasons. I have got used to being "invaded" though now and am grateful for their help.

I find the Napisan powder very good - the cheapest place to get it is in the baby section of Wilko's. You could put that straight in the washing machine if you wanted to, but I get all the smell out by soaking it first. It is a bit of a strain on me, lugging the heavy buckets full of water about but I'm used to it. I don't like the idea of my own washing being tainted by urine so that's why I don't put it straight into the machine.

Does anyone know if Kylie sheets (the actual brand) which Lady A says are more expensive, are in any way better than non-branded pads? I might start a thread to get people's opinions!
I don't know - but if you phoned the Complete Care Shop, they could probably tell you! I have found their reps pretty good in that they realise that if they want to have repeat custom, they need to give good service. And that means finding the product that best suits you, not selling you the expensive one if you don't really need that. By the way - I also got Raynard Incontinence wipes from them, and Bath in bed wipes, which were both a godsend! The incontinence wipes are like an adult baby wipe- bigger size, tougher fabric. And have a barrier in them, to protect the skin (for those like my OH who wouldn't allow the use of sudocreme or such things! Although thankfully, later, he allowed Caldasene powder). And the bath wipes are face-cloth sized, can be warmed in the microwave, and great for when a bath isn't possible. I used them myself after surgery last year, when I wasn't allowed to wash for nearly a month!

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Hi Lindy,

Napisan has got bleaching agents in it but I use it because it's germicidal and gives a hygienic wash. If it's safe for baby's clothes, I figure it must be all right for my Mum.

It does say not to use on non-colourfast items but I have used it without problems on coloured sheets and nighties.

I suppose I am thinking back to the days when people soaked cotton nappies - I must belong to the old school with doing this before washing! I have a phobia about putting clothes and bedding with urine on them in the machine. At least soaking dilutes it somewhat and hopefully the Napisan kills any germs.

Hope this helps. As you say, where else could you talk about this sort of thing!

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Napisan-Non-Bio-Germicidal-Stain-Remover/18119011

I have got the washable (Kylie) bed pads which I find great. Not sure, nita, whether they should go on a pressure care mattress.....guess that's a question for the nurse?

Re the Napisan - does it bleach colours out at all? We have a real problem with soiled clothing as well as underwear. I've talked to mum's carer about how this happens, and she says that recently, when she helps mum in the bathroom, she has only to begin removing the pad / pants, and mum will suddenly empty her bowels as well as bladder. The result tends to get everywhere :( Could I ask the carer to soak mum's outerwear in Napisan do you think? She currently leaves it soaking, but just in water. I pick up laundry for washing every afternoon.

By the way, I can't think of anywhere else I could ask such questions! :cool:

Many thanks

Lindy x

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Lindy,

Napisan has got bleaching agents in it but I use it because it's germicidal and gives a hygienic wash. If it's safe for baby's clothes, I figure it must be all right for my Mum.

It does say not to use on non-colourfast items but I have used it without problems on coloured sheets and nighties.

I suppose I am thinking back to the days when people soaked cotton nappies - I must belong to the old school with doing this before washing! I have a phobia about putting clothes and bedding with urine on them in the machine. At least soaking dilutes it somewhat and hopefully the Napisan kills any germs.

Hope this helps. As you say, where else could you talk about this sort of thing!

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Napisan-Non-Bio-Germicidal-Stain-Remover/18119011

Thanks nita :)

I have also seen Zoflora recommended so will try both. I can't carry on putting mum's very messy laundry in the machine, and then following up with mine, without some sort of disinfectant. What also got me thinking about this was a recent thread about washing machines and build up of 'gunk' :eek:

Napisan and Zoflora here I come ;) xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Zoflora just smells nicer than many disinfectants. And Lord knows, things get grim enough without living with the smell of disinfectant all the time if you can have the smell of "Spring Bouquet " or whatever instead!

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Zoflora just smells nicer than many disinfectants. And Lord knows, things get grim enough without living with the smell of disinfectant all the time if you can have the smell of "Spring Bouquet " or whatever instead!

Too true, Lady A :)

Speaking of which, there's an odd smell around mum's flat again :( It has in the past turned out to be forgotten / mislaid fresh fish, or a carrier bag full of poo, or knickers artfully placed on a pantry shelf......:eek:

I couldn't locate it today, despite extensive searches, so settled on opening the window to get some fresh air in the flat.....will try again tomorrow.

Oh joy! :rolleyes: :D

Lindy xx