Can i pick ur brains please??

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Mum has had 2 utis in the passed 4 weeks and ive just dropped another sample at the doctors cos i think she has another one!!. She had antibiotics and they didnt work so she ended up in hospital on a drip!. She is permanently on a low dose antibiotic but it doesnt seem to b doing any good. I was wondering if any of u lovely, helpful people can tell me what happens now? More antibiotics? Can she keep taking them like this or will she become immune? Can they do anything else for uti's?. Seems never ending. . Thank u

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Chelsea girl :)

I'm not an expert on this :eek: but I do wonder whether they have identified the specific bug that is causing this UTI. Perhaps they'll be able to do so from this new sample. Then potentially they can give the right antibiotic, rather than a generalised one, which may well be more effective.

Hope this makes sense :eek:

Good luck

Lindy xx

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
I don't know, Chelseagirl. I had similar problems with my mum too. Awful, isn't it.

All I can think is getting the doctor to try different antibiotics. With my mum, the amoxyciilin never seemed to work. They tried Tri...(cant remember the name) which I think was better. Finally there was one beginning with N (which I can't remember either!) which did seem to work.

It sounds as if the original infection didn't clear properly.

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Hi Chelsea Girl and also Starry,

My mum suffers with these infections too-a lot and has ended up in hospital before with iv antibiotics,
The infections seem to be more frequent now,so I googled D-Mannose,because some I know mentioned how they helped a lot to keep UtI away.. I've ordered some of the powder and tablets and some urine test sticks,I will give them a go,but of course she would still have her antibiotics if the doctors said she needed them,may be worth a try..

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Aitchbee

Nov 3, 2013
Hi Chelsea Girl. We have the same problem with Mum. Frequent UTIs and she is on a low dose antibiotic which doesn't seem to work. She has a UTI at the moment - a sample was sent to the lab for testing so the Dr has identified which antibiotic she needs (Co-amoxiclav), however he is reluctant to prescribe it as Mum has taken this antibiotic twice recently. I think he is concerned she will develop an immunity to it. My sister and I have an appointment with the Dr tomorrow to discuss all Mum's meds so we will be asking the same questions that you have raised.

submarine

Apr 5, 2013
London
My mother had recurring UTI s for months. It was truly awful. Finally the doctors did a culture test. She has been on a low dose of trimethropam ( spelling )? alternating with cephalexin every 2 months in order not to build up an immunity.
It has worked for a couple of years now. For us it has been a godsend but it is controversial due to the implications.

Hope the doctor finds something that works ......

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Can i pick ur brains please

Thank u all. Mums on trimethoprim which doesnt seem to b working. The doctor just called and sed she has got an infection. A new prescription is being sent to the local chemist for collection so we'll see how that goes. There seems no end to this at the moment.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby has been having UTIs every few weeks and sometimes needs hospital. He was prescribed Macrobid this week. In his case, having a catheter may be a contributing factor.

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Hubby has been having UTIs every few weeks and sometimes needs hospital. He was prescribed Macrobid this week. In his case, having a catheter may be a contributing factor.

Hi lilac blossom, i was told when mum was in hospital, that catheters usually make uti's worse!! Great, something else to think about ☺

Time trader

Dec 30, 2014
Mum has had 2 utis in the passed 4 weeks and ive just dropped another sample at the doctors cos i think she has another one!!. She had antibiotics and they didnt work so she ended up in hospital on a drip!. She is permanently on a low dose antibiotic but it doesnt seem to b doing any good. I was wondering if any of u lovely, helpful people can tell me what happens now? More antibiotics? Can she keep taking them like this or will she become immune? Can they do anything else for uti's?. Seems never ending. . Thank u

My late mum suffered dreadfully from chronic cystitis, has this equally nasty condition been suggested for your mum?
Proper hydration is crucial particularly during a uti. Of all the elderly people I know, including lots with memory problems, NONE drink enough water. So I would suggest pushing the hydration. Good luck and I hope they sort things out for your mum.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Chelsea girl. Uti are extremely common in older people unfortunately and it is not always possible to continue on antibiotic therapy for a number of reasons , one being renal failure . My mum falls into this category so after having quite a few courses of antibiotics I have tried to treat her myself . I researched a product called d - mannose which has helped considerably ( which I have recommended before and is mentioned in someone else's post for this thread ) and although I test her urine frequently, it is only very occasionally that she shows signs of infection , as I keep her on a maintenance dose . If she does show signs I give her 2 days worth of a teaspoon in 60 mls if water and the signs thankfully disappear . However please discuss with your GP before taking it , though according to the research , urologists have now started recommending it . It's certainly worth a try . Good luck .

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Hi Chelsea girl. Uti are extremely common in older people unfortunately and it is not always possible to continue on antibiotic therapy for a number of reasons , one being renal failure . My mum falls into this category so after having quite a few courses of antibiotics I have tried to treat her myself . I researched a product called d - mannose which has helped considerably ( which I have recommended before and is mentioned in someone else's post for this thread ) and although I test her urine frequently, it is only very occasionally that she shows signs of infection , as I keep her on a maintenance dose . If she does show signs I give her 2 days worth of a teaspoon in 60 mls if water and the signs thankfully disappear . However please discuss with your GP before taking it , though according to the research , urologists have now started recommending it . It's certainly worth a try . Good luck .

Hi louby, thats really interesting and if the uti's keep on i will certainly talk to the gp about it. Thank u x

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
My late mum suffered dreadfully from chronic cystitis, has this equally nasty condition been suggested for your mum?
Proper hydration is crucial particularly during a uti. Of all the elderly people I know, including lots with memory problems, NONE drink enough water. So I would suggest pushing the hydration. Good luck and I hope they sort things out for your mum.
Mum definately doesnt drink enough. We try to get her to drink but often she doesnt finish a cup of tea etc or just leaves a drink on the side untouched! X

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Cranberry juice helps...well it did with Mum, she went through a spell of cystitis off and on for a couple of years. You can get cranberry tablets at some better quality Health Food stores too. But keep pushing the liquids too.