I'm dreading Friday

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
What lovely people you know - fitted wardrobes eh? What next on your list.

Sounds wonderful that you will finally have a lovely bedroom for yourself :)

I can't tell you how happy your post has made me. xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sounds good DG. When William went into care, I did a lot of clearing out and redecorating here - he was a chronic hoarder and our living room was his "office" crammed to the rafters with desks, shelves, and floor to ceiling, wall to wall bookshelves. Piles and piles of "stuff". It took ages just to clear it out, then remove the shelves which were screwed to both the walls and each other. But I redecorated it into a lovely relaxing haven of a living room. I know it's hard for some to do this kind of work when their husband or wife goes to care - it feels like it's clearing them out - but to me, I felt I'd rather do it while I still had William and could go visit him, rather than have to face it so finally after he was dead. Now, I'm really glad I did.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
So glad all went well with the move and that you are gradually adjusting to the changes yourself, I am sure there will be many things that are different including some you won't have expected. Great that you are making some positive changes for yourself as that will help. Good to hear of the support you are getting which is priceless. Take care x

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Dumpygirl, thank you so much for that lovely update. It made my morning :) So glad things are slipping into place for you. Course, most of us cheekily ask our pals to pop up a picture of the results :D Hope the decorating goes as planned and that you love the end result.

A little something for yourself is no bad thing :) Have a lovely day.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Sounds like your friends and family know exactly what to do to support you at this time, A little interior design is good for all. Enjoy the 'new look' .

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Lovely to read your post and to know how things are progressing. You are so blessed to have those lovely friends helping you to adjust. Enjoy your lovely new bedroom. xx

dumpygirl

Nov 20, 2013
derbyshire
first visit since Grahame went into the care home

Well here I am again. After taking Grahame to the Care Home on 31st July we were advised to leave him for at least a week to settle before we visited so that is what we did. This afternoon my youngest daughter Cathy and I visited and were quite expecting it to be a traumatic experience. We rang the bell and a lovely young lady let us in and was told that Grahame was at that moment sitting in the quiet lounge watching Mary Berry. Off we went down to the quiet lounge and stood at the door for a few minutes just watching him sitting in the corner quite happy and relaxed and looking very comfortable in his easy chair. After a minute or so we approached him and the smile that came over his face was heart warming. He was over the moon to see us. We sat down either side of him and were brought a tray of tea by one of the carers. I could not quite believe it. He said hello to Cathy and then looked at me and I said "who am I then" and he said after a pause "my sister in law". He had been shaved very well that morning and had nice clean clothes on. We chatted for a while and then we asked to see his room and he took us there. He turned right instead of left but after that he just kept on walking and looking at the names on each of the doors until he came to his own name and said "this is my room". In we went and was pleased to see it all looking clean and orderly. After that we went back to the lounge and chatted some more and then Cathy said we had better be going now, quite expecting him to say he wanted to come with us but to our great surprise he just said "well it was nice to see you. Come again very soon". When I say "chatted" it was really not making much sense on his part but at least he was calm and not agitated.
He did not even get up as we were leaving. On the way out we talked to the carers and they said that he had been sleeping well, eating reasonably well especially the puddings and cakes. I am in shock and cannot quite believe how well it all went. Of course there is no guarantee that the next time we visit it will be as good as this as we all know that alzeimers patients can change like the wind, but we were so glad that it all went so well today and hope and pray that it will continue.
On the notice board it was saying that there will be a talk with slides of Japan next Friday at 2.30 and all are welcome. I shall go and watch this with Grahame. In the meantime hopefully my children will visit and I hope that they will have just as good an experience as we had.
I will sign off now as it is getting late.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Thank you for your lovely post dumpygirl, I'm so happy you had such a positive visit. I'm sure you must have all sorts of mixed up emotions but it's very good to hear how settled and well looked after Grahame is.
Hope you have a good night.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

dumpygirl

Nov 20, 2013
derbyshire
Thank you for your lovely post dumpygirl, I'm so happy you had such a positive visit. I'm sure you must have all sorts of mixed up emotions but it's very good to hear how settled and well looked after Grahame is.
Hope you have a good night.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thank Esmeralda. I hope so too.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
That is good to read :)

Hopefully you too are settling into your new living arrangements.

Hugs xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
What a relief for you that this first visit went so well, fingers crossed for future visits. Hope the Japan slide show is also a success. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a heartwarming post about your first visit DumpyGirl/Anne. It will give comfort to others contemplating the residential care decision as well as easing your mind.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
DG, so, so pleased for you. It's such a relief isn't it, when we see our loved ones so well settled. I know it does tug a bit t the heart too, to see them sailing a little further away from us, but it's so worth that tug, to see them happy, relaxed and content, getting the care they need. xx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Dear Dumpygirl, so pleased for you, hope next time you visit your hubby will be contented, must make life so much easier for you.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Sorry I seem to have missed your earlier postings, Dumpygirl but am so glad your husband is settling well. My OH went to his CH just over a year ago now so experienced the same feelIngs as you. It took him a long time to settle but he finally did and visits are now mainly a great pleasure. With best wishes.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
So glad to hear you had such an encouraging visit. It must have been a great relief to find that Grahame has settled so well.

Last edited:

dumpygirl

Nov 20, 2013
derbyshire
grandsons go to visit their grandad today

:(
That's lovely news:)

This afternoon my daughter Cathy took her two boys to visit Grandad in his new care home. Can't hardly believe it but she said he was still very settled and relaxed and although he thought she was his sister the visit went well. She wants to take him out one day for a beer and a snack and asked me what I thought. The carers were all for it, in fact they said that yesterday (Sunday) he was asking how he could get to church so does anyone have any advice about this. She felt that he would stagnate if just left in the care home as it is get up, breakfast, sleep in the lounge in the chair, wake up for lunch, sleep in the lounge until tea and then watch tv until bed time. I feel that we ought to try this and if it is difficult then we will know for next time.
It would be interesting to hear what other TPers did in this situation and how it worked out. Thank you all for reading my posts and for all your love and support.

Last edited: