Power of Attorney (amongst other things - the list seems endless) - please help.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Council tax exemption on grounds of severe mental impairment is indeed a top tip! You can only apply though once your father has Attendance Allowance, and then the GP usually has to confirm the impairment ( local authorities do vary in their methods, though!)
xx

And you can ask for the council tax exemption to be backdated...I got mum's backdated to the date she first went to GP and was referred to memory clinic, even though she didn't get a formal diagnosis until 5 months later when she saw the consultant psychiatrist .

dustyanswer

Jun 23, 2015
Good news

Thank you Pickles53

That's really good to know. They have, however, refused to discuss anything with me until POA kicks in, even though I explained the circumstances. Is this typical of all councils or just Gateshead?

dustyanswer

Jun 23, 2015
The epic list!

Miss Shiraz,

That makes me feel a little better actually. I have already redirected his post and have bought him a diary. I hadn't thought about getting him to write questions in it, but I will; it's a brilliant idea.

I tell anyone who asks that he has Alzheimer's, as I will take help if it's offered. I hope those that offer are aware of this.

Once I have POA, I have a long list of people to contact, but I gather it can take a while to come through.

I'm tempted by a key safe, but as he's hopefully moving soon, I wonder if it's necessary (of course you're all shouting at the screen now). I don't know when completion will be, but we've already been in the process for 4 weeks.

Once he's out of the big house, I'll organise a cleaner, and I'll sort cleaning of his new little flat, once he's in. If I took his gardening away, he's compus mentus enough to be very upset and annoyed, so I may organise that for when he's moved too.

In terms of work, whilst I don't want to rant, they have been disgusting. They have tried toput obstacles in front of every comment/ request I've made. Their current gambit is that I haven't filled in appropriate application forms but won't tell me a) where to find them or b) how to access them. I have since complained to the Local Government Ombudsman (I work in a school), as I don't see how I am supposed to find these documents if I haven't been told about them, or, more importantly, am spending every spare minute with Dad anyway. The problem I have in this respect, is that I'm running out of fight, and am tempted to quit. The flip-side of that, of course, is that they could treat someone else as badly. Has anyone else had such dire treatment by their employer?

Please, also, let me know if there's anything glaring that I've missed. I sort of know what to do when POA kicks in, but not sure if I should be doing more in the interim.

As ever, I really appreciate all your help and support, and hope I can repay the favour somehow.

Things to consider that have helped us with MIL -
- getting post re-directed to you or get address changed with the bank etc
- get Dad a diary to write reminders and appointments in, things to ask you. Encourage others to write in it if this hrlps. We can see who has visited and its also a good reminder for her. Sometimes goes wrong when she doesn't know what day of the week it is
- we told as many of her friends and neighbours about her dementia so they can look out for her and try to understand her behaviours,
Registering the POA with banks etc whilst it takes time, makes life easier when you need to access info.. prioritise what needs to be done first. We actually reviewed her finances putting savings in all one place (less companies to deal with!)
- she has a cleaner and gardener each week, its someone else to keep an eye out and wd pay them direct
- key safe on side of house with front door key. Various people have the code including doctors. Doc also has the PoA registered.
The list does seem endless but you'll get there... get the most used and important stuff done first, even making a list just helps as it gets it out of your head onto paper.

in terms of part time work, the law changed earlier this year and employers need good grounds to decline. I don't know the full details but worth researching before approaching your employer.

good luck... keep asking questions as the folk on here have lots of experience to share

dustyanswer

Jun 23, 2015
It scares me what would happen if Dad had no-one. How would an actual Alzheimer's sufferer cope with any of this? :eek:

Thanks Jennifer and Canary.

God, it's all so bloody complicated, isn't it? No wonder my mum can't be bothered with it all - I'm starting to feel that way myself!

LS

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Thank you Pickles53

That's really good to know. They have, however, refused to discuss anything with me until POA kicks in, even though I explained the circumstances. Is this typical of all councils or just Gateshead?

In some ways I didn't rate the local council where mum lived but they were much more understanding than this over the council tax issue. I had the old type of EPOA but they never even asked about it.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
There is a confusing section which reads: "If you do want this statement to be filled in, the best person to do it is the one who is most involved with your treatment or care. This may be someone you have already told us about on this form.

If you are signing this form on behalf of the disabled person, please get someone else to fill in this section."

Does this mean I need to ask my husband to fill that in, as I'm not allowed to? Imagine if Dad had to do this on his own!!!

Hi dustyanswer

I waited until I had POA and then completed the AA form on behalf of my Mum earlier this year . I attached a certified copy of my POA along with it (they do send the copies back I believe but I added a stamped addressed envelope requesting it's return to be on the safe side). However as my Dad is her main carer I still listed him as such on the form and there is a section near the end where you can put any other comments so I wrote a few paragraphs on his behalf saying how hard he was coping with looking after Mum and reiterating what I had detailed in the form about what he had to do (ie keep Mum for wandering off, keep her safe in the kitchen, washing and dressing her etc).

It does seem as though you repeat yourself endlessly but I just kept re-emphasing over and over the bits that Mum needs help with and can't do any longer. Don't just tick a box and move on - use the comment box and go into more detail.

My local council just sent me a form for the GP to sign to get the council tax reduction - they didn't ask any questions or seem that interested as I suppose it is now becoming a routine request for them. I just have to wait for Mum to be officially diagnosed in Aug before progressing.

For the banking side of things, I set up on-line accounts for both my parents. As they already have bank accounts, I was able to do everything on-line without dealing with the bank or mentioning my POA - I just got my parents permission first. Dad is happy as he finds it easier to keep an eye on their accounts plus it is a simple process for him to make payments. The fact that my sister and I gifted him with an ipad to use for the on-line banking also pleased him no end LOL.

Really sorry that your work has been so awful. My sister and I have been very lucky that our company lets us work at home when we need to, work flexible hours so that we can take time out to take parents to appointments and take time off at short notice (when Dad had to spend a week in hospital and we needed to care for Mum). Maybe because it is a healthcare company they have to show more compassion to staff but there is no reason for your workplace to make such hard work requesting it :(

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's not means tested in terms of assets but actually getting cash is dependent on if you have any other earnings coming in (or any other benefits such as a state pension).

I'm not sure which page you were trying to link to as the link appears to be broken.

missmarple

Jan 14, 2013
Sorry about the missed link, was trying to link up to an NHS choices website which states it isn't means tested.I think we actually agree JenniferPA, on further reading seems like they don't look at how much savings you have, but if you keep your job and earn in excess of £110 pw (which I would think is well below what most people earn) then you wouldn't qualify.

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
It scares me what would happen if Dad had no-one. How would an actual Alzheimer's sufferer cope with any of this? :eek:

I guess someone else would have to take the initiative and if they didn't, they'd be stuffed. If it were not for me looking into all this, mum and dad wouldn't be getting any of the forms filled in. They didn't even know the benefits existed.

LS

maclaren

Oct 2, 2013
Thank you for that. I appreciate any support at all. :)

I'm getting a pack for Attendance Allowance sent out, which Donna at DWP assures me is not means tested because Dad is 77. We shall see.

I've had a top tip about Council Tax, which I didn't even know about.

Is there anything else I should be considering, do you know?

Hi,
Just a bit of advice re the AA Form. My Dad who is 79, has middle Dementia, heart condition and a false eye was initially declined, so my mum phoned them up and bluntly said ' what else would you like wrong with him, a wooden leg!' and they then agreed.
Point is please put EVERYTHING down in detail from the smallest condition to the largest.
Dont be put off by 50 pages, it will be worth it in the end Good luck!

Reflection

Feb 25, 2015
Reflection

Could I just take this opportunity to thank folks on this site for the info they
have written about applying for POW ourselves. We had been quoted £500 from one solicitor, but after reading your blogs we decided to have a go. After downloading the forms and visiting the doctors to sign their portion, we signed ours. These were for Finance and Welfare. Sent them off, and 3 weeks later them came back passed. Maybe we were lucky but its worth trying first before you go to a solicitor.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Round here, and I think most places, Age UK among others will do it for you. No cost, though they might ask for a donation. That's up to you! But you probably wouldn't be giving them hundreds anyway. They know the buzzwords and do forms all the time. They suggested to me that I should be able to get something in my own tight and that was an amazing help, when I didn't even know I was entitled to anything!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoriH61