Anyone caring for alzheimers along with parkinsons?

Joidevivre

Aug 4, 2015
I would like to know if the Parkinsons advances usually faster than the Alzheimers. My husband can hardly move around or get up out of chair. Usually needs a walker. Yet the Alzheimers seems to come on a little more slowly.

The good thing is that he can't walk around getting into things. But then again, I have to wait on him for everything. Anticipate water, etc. Reposition the walker when he wants to move. Still dresses himself even though it takes about 40 min.

What about the continual picking at skin? Is this Alzheimers or is it Parkinsons? I'm making an activity apron for him and usually try to encourage long sleeves. But he reaches down the back of his shirt and scratches his back. Any advice you can give me?

He is not taking any drugs. Always seems to have a bad reaction from any of them. He is too far gone to want to "maintain" this I would think.

Open for comments.

irishmanc

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
Sorry to hear about your situation. Not really sure what the answer is to your question but you raise an important issue about the fact that dementia and Alzheimer's are often accompanied by other diseases. My Mum has cerebra-vascular disease with vascular dementia and parkinsonism as secondary. I have been told that it is the cerebro-vascular disease that is the main cause of her health problems and that everything else flows from this. A good GP should be able to help you to understand if one is secondary to the other and how they might relate to each other.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
My husband has pca which is a rare variant of Alzheimers and now has Parkinsons type problems as well which I have been told is the damage spreading to the part of the brain which causes Parkinsons and is a secondary condition.
He too had itching and was constantly picking and scratching at his upper arms , shoulders and back. The district nurse recommended E45 Itch Relief cream which can be purchased cheaply from any pharmacist. I apply this for him every morning before I get him dressed and the itching is no longer a problem.
Tre
PS I did discuss anti parkinsons meds with the consultant but declined when he advised this would likely advance the Alzheimers. He does have a low dose of an anti-epileptic to keep the myoclonic twitches under control but we just live with the tremor for now.

Joidevivre

Aug 4, 2015
My husband has pca which is a rare variant of Alzheimers and now has Parkinsons type problems as well which I have been told is the damage spreading to the part of the brain which causes Parkinsons and is a secondary condition.
He too had itching and was constantly picking and scratching at his upper arms , shoulders and back. The district nurse recommended E45 Itch Relief cream which can be purchased cheaply from any pharmacist. I apply this for him every morning before I get him dressed and the itching is no longer a problem.
Tre
PS I did discuss anti parkinsons meds with the consultant but declined when he advised this would likely advance the Alzheimers. He does have a low dose of an anti-epileptic to keep the myoclonic twitches under control but we just live with the tremor for now.

I found that pure coconut oil works wonders on the itching. But even when there is no itching, he seems to be obsessed with picking or scratching at himself. Says that he does not itch. It is just that his hands are acting apart from his mind.
Thanks for your reply.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
hello Jodie and welcome to TP. My Husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's 3.5yrs ago, and now we are both sure that dementia is beginning to surface. At least he is still able to recognise the symptoms that mother has, and he knows what to expect which is so depressing for him and me.

I am sure you will find loads of advice and help here.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My late Husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and bi-polar at the same time! Both late diagnosed (AD missed on a scan). A few months before he died he was also diagnosed with Parkinson's and prostate cancer. I don't know if AD caused his other problems but looking on the internet I would say he had been suffering from Parkinson's for some time. My Husband was the most laid back of people and I would never have associated bi-polar with him when he was well. On this Forum it is quite often mentioned that when the brain damage occurs due to dementia other diseases appear.

Poor mobility occurs in Parkinson's and AD at times-so it's difficult to know what is causing the problem.

No real answers I'm afraid.

Take care

Lyn T XX

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
My husband has early onset AD, and nothing else as far as we know. He frequently picks at his skin - eyebrows, lips, around finger nails, elbows. He says it doesn't itch, but gets stroppy if I ask him if he can tell me why he's doing it. The answer is usually, indignantly, "I'm not"! I have tended to put it down to some degree of stress or anxiety, although I can't always pinpoint any cause at the time. I find distraction works best and he doesn't re-start.

EG