concerns re living conditions

memaggie2

Nov 9, 2014
scotland
I'm writing on behalf of my son in law who does not know how to deal with his father who has a difficult personality to start with. His main concerns are the condition of the house , there is a hole in the roof, the property is very damp he had central heating fitted 2 years ago but has never used it saying it is too expensive, he had a large ariel fitted to the house because he believed he would be able to hear the tv better. He has had new carpets fitted whilst there are holes in the ceiling. He has/had a serious skin condition and needs to take medication which he frequently doesn't take. At times he appears confused but this is variable.
He has expressed bizarre beliefs such as flying saucers being soon in production for travel.
His personal hygiene is poor
His doctor appeared to be reluctant to speak about him to his son due to confidentiality issues. He is in his late eighties
My son in law lives in northern Scotland while his father lives in Manchester any attempt to get him to repair the house / use the heating is met with anger and hostility.
The son does not have the money to do the repairs himself even if he was allowed to do so the house is owned ( shared ownership with son i think ) there is no other family.
He did get social services to call but they just went away when he wouldn't let them in. Any suggestions will be welcome thankyou

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I didn't want to read and run, but I don't have much sensible advice that would help.

My only thoughts are that Social Services need to be aware that he is a vulnerable person living in poor conditions. Having said that, if "Dad" doesn't agree to help, there seems to be little anyone can do.

Sorry I can't be more helpful .

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello,
It is very difficult. The only thing I would suggest is for the son to write to Social Services with a copy to GP, outlining the details as you have done here. At some stage in the letter it may help if he states 'this man is at high risk and vulnerable'. This sort of statement does tend to make both take more interest and maybe act where they can.

I am sure it would also be wise to indicate that he is prepared to co operate as best he can from long distance.

I am sorry not to be more helpful.

memaggie2

Nov 9, 2014
scotland
Hello,
It is very difficult. The only thing I would suggest is for the son to write to Social Services with a copy to GP, outlining the details as you have done here. At some stage in the letter it may help if he states 'this man is at high risk and vulnerable'. This sort of statement does tend to make both take more interest and maybe act where they can.

I am sure it would also be wise to indicate that he is prepared to co operate as best he can from long distance.

I am sorry not to be more helpful.

Thankyou i'll put that in the letter i intend to write