Small Vessel Disease

Tess W

Jul 25, 2015
Inverness
Hi. I'm Tess and have been diagnosed with small vessel disease after having a stroke-like event. I'm still waiting for an appointment with the neurologist so all I know is that I have this and I want to find out more about what it means for me. My GP seems reluctant to discuss it.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hi Tess, and welcome to TP. I have a thread entitled "small vessel disease" in the Tea Room, which I started in order to share knowledge. I was worried about my husband for some years before he had a major stroke and the MRI confirmed SVD. He is taking part in research at a major teaching hospital establishing whether control of blood pressure reduces any cognitive impairment. He is in the group, which is keeping blood pressure low.

We live totally in the present, savouring every day. The main changes I have noticed are lack of being able to make a decision, however trivial, emotionalism (cries at the slightest emotional moment), gait changes (wide-based), mobility changes (much slower) and some short-term memory changes, and irritability. Most people would not notice any of those changes but I do as I live with him. His MRI scan 2 years ago revealed multiple lacunar infarcts, of which he had been unaware. He was always at risk of these strokes due to family genetic condition of atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat) and hypertension.

Life continues as normal, just a little slower. Hope this helps!

Tess W

Jul 25, 2015
Inverness
Hi Tess, and welcome to TP. I have a thread entitled "small vessel disease" in the Tea Room, which I started in order to share knowledge. I was worried about my husband for some years before he had a major stroke and the MRI confirmed SVD. He is taking part in research at a major teaching hospital establishing whether control of blood pressure reduces any cognitive impairment. He is in the group, which is keeping blood pressure low.

We live totally in the present, savouring every day. The main changes I have noticed are lack of being able to make a decision, however trivial, emotionalism (cries at the slightest emotional moment), gait changes (wide-based), mobility changes (much slower) and some short-term memory changes, and irritability. Most people would not notice any of those changes but I do as I live with him. His MRI scan 2 years ago revealed multiple lacunar infarcts, of which he had been unaware. He was always at risk of these strokes due to family genetic condition of atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat) and hypertension.

Life continues as normal, just a little slower. Hope this helps!

Yes, it does, Mary. Thank you! My best thoughts are with you and your husband.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My uncle had small vessel disease, it did not cause dementia but affected the signals from his brain to his legs which made his walking slower as he had to concentrate on where he wanted to move his feet to.