Discriminated Against because of Section

JusticeforOne

Jul 21, 2015
My mother has dementia and was served a Section 28 as she would not let the carers in her home to change her (she is incontinent) and she had an open bed sore. After lots of discussion it was decided that that would be the only option to get her the care that she needs.

The hospital are now wanting to get their bed back and it was decided that she should now go into a home and describe her needs as 'general nursing'. However we are finding that as soon as we mention the Section, we are turned down by the homes. There is so much discrimination surrounding mental health and despite the hospital and our family explaining fully why she was sectioned they seem to be turning her down based on this. The home we were hoping to put her into said the Section was a "Red Flag" for them. How can we overcome this? I don't want her to go somewhere anyway where they have doubts, but I am getting worried that the hospital will force her into a home that isn't of our choosing.

Surely there is some legislation surrounding this, the are basing decisions on what is written on paper rather than the person?

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Some nursing homes have EMI sections of their homes. Those homes should take someone who has been sectioned. Is your Mum still on a section? If she has a long term section (3) then she should be eligible for discharge into the home under a 117 in which case the NHS pay for her care (as they would if she were still in hospital).

You say section 28, do you mean 28 days (section 2)?

Last edited:

JusticeforOne

Jul 21, 2015
Some nursing homes have EMI sections of their homes. Those homes should take someone who has been sectioned. Is your Mum still on a section? If she has a long term section (3) then she should be eligible for discharge into the home under a 117 in which case the NHS pay for her care (as they would if she were still in hospital).

Yes, it was for 28 days, but they decided quite quickly that is wasn't necessary so the doctor asked for it be removed after about 10 days.

JusticeforOne

Jul 21, 2015

It's such a long story, but they thought at one part she is was dying of cancer so it was decided that she would end her life in the hospital and she liked the nurses and they liked her, they were doing us a favour really. She rallied round and now the hospital have reiterated time and time again that she does not need to be on a mental health ward, however she does need a nursing home because of her physical needs.

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
It's such a long story, but they thought at one part she is was dying of cancer so it was decided that she would end her life in the hospital and she liked the nurses and they liked her, they were doing us a favour really. She rallied round and now the hospital have reiterated time and time again that she does not need to be on a mental health ward, however she does need a nursing home because of her physical needs.
Hope that you can can the hospital Social Worker on board. they often call a best interest meeting at which her real, as opposed to previous needs should be fully explored and recorded. This record could then be available to potential Nursing homes.

JusticeforOne

Jul 21, 2015
Hope that you can can the hospital Social Worker on board. they often call a best interest meeting at which her real, as opposed to previous needs should be fully explored and recorded. This record could then be available to potential Nursing homes.

We've had lots of Best Interest Meetings and they all conclude the same, the things I have mentioned earlier. The ward sister read segments of the 19 page report regarding my mother that they have tonight, and concluded that homes would be more likely to focus on the negative rather than the positive. She was sectioned (they don't want to take the reason onboard) she is a smoker and has history of alcohol abuse (which is historic and certainly not current for a long time). On paper they do sound pretty grim and that is what is driving all the declines. We had another one tonight that summarised that they couldn't accomodate her smoking (I've been three times, and each time several of the staff were smoking outside). My mother sleeps for long lengths of time, if anything the nurses use it as an incentive to get her up and about rather than anything. Also that they couldn't accomodate her mental health needs, but were non specific about this as the hospital report shows that she has no challenging behaviour, but commonly is confused as to her whereabouts. Basically she is being shoe horned as an alcoholic smoker that has been sectioned.

This is what the homes see from the report and at this rate she will end up somewhere that does not cater to her wellbeing. She has a mild dementia, and my fear is she will be placed somewhere where she will not be able to communicate properly with the people in her surroundings and have no quality of life. She is still as sharp as a nail which is why the nurses and other patients have taken to her, she still very much retains her sense of humour and wit.

Jess1982

Nov 9, 2014
Hi

My mum was sectioned for 6 months.

Social services were responsible for finding her home. I could view them and agree but there was never any discrimination.

Could ss find a place for you? I think they are perhaps more used to taking dementia patients who have been sectioned.

Good luck