Newly diagnosed 2 days ago

Tovah

Jul 22, 2015
Hi all:

First, I'd like to say that it took me a half hour to figure out how to post. lol.

I was diagnosed with moderate dementia 2 days ago. It was no surprise to me. It's been coming on for years. I have a fashion blog, however, it takes me forever to write now as I can't remember words and count on spell check.,

I'm 58 years old and it seems to be progressing quickly.

I do the usual forgetfulness within seconds of hearing something.

I was told I'd never be able to have a job again.

I'm sure it's all listed, however, when did you KNOW that something was wrong?

I can only drive within a mile radius now and reading is imossible. I used to read at least 2 books a week.

I get angry quicker, and cry when I can't seem to figure things out.

Anyway, I think you get the gist. I know I'l get good info here and I look forward to meeting you.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello Tovah and welcome to Talking Point. You will certainly find support, understanding and friendship from members. Sad that you need to join us but great that you found us. Look forward to hearing more about you and you joining in.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome from me too Tovah. I'm sure you'll find lots of help, support and understanding here.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Tovah

I`m sorry to see you on Talking Point with a diagnosis at such a young age. I hope you have good support at home. You`ll be sure to get it here.

Tovah

Jul 22, 2015
Hello Tovah and welcome to Talking Point. You will certainly find support, understanding and friendship from members. Sad that you need to join us but great that you found us. Look forward to hearing more about you and you joining in.
Thank you. I think I found the right place to join.

It was so confusing for me to join that I'm exhausted now. lol.

Tovah

Jul 22, 2015

Thank you Jaymor. I look forward to it!

Tovah

Jul 22, 2015
I`m sorry to see you on Talking Point with a diagnosis at such a young age. I hope you have good support at home. You`ll be sure to get it here.

Thank you Grannie!

It's actually a relief to finally have a diagnosis for all the crazy things I do. lol.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Tovah,
It’s always a sad day when we have to welcome yet another victim of our terrible illness to Talking Point ‘BUT’ welcome as you have come to the right place for support.

I was also diagnosed at the age of 58 years old which is now some (Ten and a half years ago) and I can understand and relate to your problems having been through the same situation again and again! “BUT” there’s still life after diagnoses, the most important thing is to first accept that you have dementia and that as of yet nothing in this world can change that, and then just look forward and keep fighting at the illness day after day, stay as positive as any of us can with the illness, push your mind to keep it actively working and try to keep your body physically active, YES I know it’s all very difficult but we must try to sat active in all respects.

Also try to maintain a hobby, you said that you have a fashion blog well keep on working at it don’t give in! I myself by profession was a Master Baker and Confectioner and even now I still do all my own baking and bread making YES it’s very difficult and I keep forgetting my recipes but the motivation is the most important thing…

Keep posting and best wishes
Barry

4 Baking day Yuni birthday cake2.jpg

Tovah

Jul 22, 2015
Hi Tovah,
It’s always a sad day when we have to welcome yet another victim of our terrible illness to Talking Point ‘BUT’ welcome as you have come to the right place for support.

I was also diagnosed at the age of 58 years old which is now some (Ten and a half years ago) and I can understand and relate to your problems having been through the same situation again and again! “BUT” there’s still life after diagnoses, the most important thing is to first accept that you have dementia and that as of yet nothing in this world can change that, and then just look forward and keep fighting at the illness day after day, stay as positive as any of us can with the illness, push your mind to keep it actively working and try to keep your body physically active, YES I know it’s all very difficult but we must try to sat active in all respects.

Also try to maintain a hobby, you said that you have a fashion blog well keep on working at it don’t give in! I myself by profession was a Master Baker and Confectioner and even now I still do all my own baking and bread making YES it’s very difficult and I keep forgetting my recipes but the motivation is the most important thing…

Keep posting and best wishes
Barry

View attachment 47076

Hi Barry!
Thank you so much to welcome me.

I've read so many of your posts and they're always so wonderful.

Do you already have a post that describes what it was like for you at 58 to know you had dementia?

I feel like I'm on this highwire and if i'm not careful, i'll say the wrong thing to somebody or i'll get lost (which I do). I'm not able to hide it anymore and that worried me.

I've worked or volunteered almost all my life (i volunteered in an alzheimer unit last) and now I can't even get a job as a volunteer.

If I don't do something right away, I'll forget it. It's this weird state where I feel so strange with myself.

Anyway, i thank you so much!
Tovah