Bathing Issues

Clarance

Jul 8, 2015
Hello all, I have started carng for a lady with Dementia for the last couple of weeks and I just can't encourage her to have a wash/shower or bath. The family are relying on me to do this and I have tried several different things but not had any luck. The lady is fully mobile and can still feed, wash and dress herself. It has probably been at least four weeks since she has had a full wash. Any advice for tips and tricks to try would be appreciated. Thank you :)

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Warm the bathroom, run the bath or set the shower running and say your bath is ready. Can't waste the water...that would be wrong.
Get out the clean clothes and have them ready.....or explain that you are putting the wash on and you noticed her skirt/blouse/ jumper needed a wash.
Tell them they are a bit whiffy...
Write it on the calenday "Bath Day"....

I tried each and every method at one time or another. Sometimes they worked!:rolleyes:

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
I used to say I needed to do the washing and I am afraid I told her she was smelly and I wouldn't take her out unless she had a shower but then she was my mum!

ClaireUK

Apr 17, 2014
My mother in law hasn't had a bath for at least a few years. We have suggested to my father in law, that he just runs her a bath, and I have used suggestions from here, but I don't think he is accepting any of it. (nor will he accept help). He is burying his head in the sand. We visited at the weekend, and the house smelled terrible. We have mentioned opening windows to air the place, but it falls on deaf ears.

lookingglass

Nov 7, 2014
Yes, good luck and do try the suggestions. But, my mum won't allow any carer or myself to help her wash or shower and she does neither herself. She is not very clean and there is nothing I can do about it. All the carers try but she refuses personal care. I have just had to accept that she will not shower and I just wash her clothes a lot when I can and do a lot of Fabreezeing! Not funny really but what can you do you can not force someone to wash.

Stanleigh

Jun 13, 2014
This is one area that is so difficult. My dad is in a CH, and refuses all personal care, he will let my husband shower him, but it has to be a cat lick! We tell him it will only be quick and then we can go and have a cuppa and some cake, sometimes it works sometimes not. If we can't visit for whatever reason, the shower won't happen....what can we do..I sometimes wash him with a flannel, and that has to suffice. I guess you just have to with the flow....

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan