Evening sitters - any help or cause more confusion

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
Just wondered if anyone had evening sitters.
My mum lives alone, I visit twice a day and my sisters go once a week each plus have her to stay one weekend a month.

She is getting very confused in the evenings when she is alone. She phones me up asking how many animals she has as she has been looking for them all ( only has one dog). Last night she phones at 10.30pm asking who was picking her up to take her home. I had to go round and put her to bed as I couldn't convince her she was at home over the phone. She remembered today that she felt this way but can't understand why.

My sister thinks we should get someone to sit with her every evening from say 6.30-8.30. I am not convinced and feel it will confuse her more as it will not be the same person every night, she will wonder why they are there, once they have gone she will then start looking for animals or make her even more convinced she is in the wrong house.
My other issue as always is that it will be me having to find these wonderful sitters, sort out paying them and deal problems when they don't turn up etc.
Just wondered what others think.

Cheesecake4242

Apr 9, 2013
Just wondered if anyone had evening sitters.
My mum lives alone, I visit twice a day and my sisters go once a week each plus have her to stay one weekend a month.

She is getting very confused in the evenings when she is alone. She phones me up asking how many animals she has as she has been looking for them all ( only has one dog). Last night she phones at 10.30pm asking who was picking her up to take her home. I had to go round and put her to bed as I couldn't convince her she was at home over the phone. She remembered today that she felt this way but can't understand why.

My sister thinks we should get someone to sit with her every evening from say 6.30-8.30. I am not convinced and feel it will confuse her more as it will not be the same person every night, she will wonder why they are there, once they have gone she will then start looking for animals or make her even more convinced she is in the wrong house.
My other issue as always is that it will be me having to find these wonderful sitters, sort out paying them and deal problems when they don't turn up etc.
Just wondered what others think.
ched on'

I agree with you, there is not much point. MIL in extreme state of confusion from 4 to 8, looking for dogs, her mother etc. She constantly rings but we ignore calls. We then ring her at 8, she is absolutely fine. I have thought about sitters but I think it would make her worst as she will remain 'switched on'. At least with the phone in her hand she is doing something rather than pacing up and down getting agitated. There is no reasoning with her or trying to distract her. She is best left alone.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Only tried an evening sitter once for my mum, early evening for a few hours. Did not really work and it was the same lady who sits with mum during the day, It just confused poor mum and when I got home she was so agitated that it took me ages to get her to settle in bed.