Oldest person with dementia?

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
I'm wondering if it would be OK to query who was the youngest sufferer?

I seem to remember reading about a woman, aged 29, on BBC news online.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I seem to remember reading about a woman, aged 29, who was the youngest recorded sufferer. It was on BBC news online.
I think you might be referring to Alzheimer's disease as opposed to dementia, as the original question asked.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Witzend, I wouldn't like it for my OH either. Get those who have EPA to have a word with care home, or next of kin might do. Or if mum has periods of lucidity, get her to sign an LPA h&w.
Has anyone signed DNR? Cos I agreed, when I signed it, I said that everything was to be referred to me and things decided on case by case basis. It's a tricky subject at the best of times.

The original question asked about dementia. Alzheimer's, early onset (as in the reference) are all types of dementia - there are over a hundred types, I believe. Dementia is a blanket term for all of them. At least that's what I believe!

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
In all of these childhood illnesses, dementia is not the diagnosis.
It is used in these instances as an umbrella term to describe a symptom that, combined with others, could help to identify the syndrome that the child is living with.

Ergo, dementia, as discussed and described on this site, is not a childhood diagnosis.

I have had two severely disabled children, one deceased, one still surviving his congenital, severe disabilities.
Both had/have 'dementia' as one of the symptoms of their syndromes.
I would never accept and have never been presented with a 'diagnosis' of their condition as dementia.

Early onset dementia is not the same as a child with a complex syndrome that includes dementia as one of the symptoms.

The devil is in the detail.

And believe me after consultations with geneticists since 1982, I've had lot's of details.

I add this only to clarify my previous post not to ignite discussion.

I truly can't be bothered with it, living as I do, as I am, right at this moment, with all areas of the spectrum of brain disorders.

Too challenging, too tiring, too soul-destroying, too smelly.

My pa-in-law is 88, he has mixed dementia and is currently sitting on my son's bed playing Lego Jurassic park with my son.

Both of them have poo-ed their pants and been eaten by dinosaurs.

Such is life.

I'm just grateful God invented latex gloves and air freshener.

Mam's birthday tomorrow, she would have been 88, thankfully her debauched life :)))saved her from the extremes of dementia and she died at 86 and a half.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Witzend, I wouldn't like it for my OH either. Get those who have EPA to have a word with care home, or next of kin might do. Or if mum has periods of lucidity, get her to sign an LPA h&w.
Has anyone signed DNR? Cos I agreed, when I signed it, I said that everything was to be referred to me and things decided on case by case basis. It's a tricky subject at the best of times.

The original question asked about dementia. Alzheimer's, early onset (as in the reference) are all types of dementia - there are over a hundred types, I believe. Dementia is a blanket term for all of them. At least that's what I believe!

pm

Last edited:

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Witzend, the feeding issue is such a big one, isn't it, and it is very hard indeed to know what is right or not and what a member of staff has been trained to do, or what their conscience tells them to do.
I am afraid I feel it is simple, for myself my view is, if someone refuses food, let them refuse it, as part of the natural process of going in the elderly. It seems to lack respect to not do that. having said that, I suppose I wouldn't take the same view on personal hygiene, eg say that because someone doesn't want to be cleaned they shouldn't be, but then that is ultimately to prevent them discomfort.

My Mum only had one phase of not eating. Throughout, she has eaten ravenously, partly the effect of drugs we think. She is thin as a rake, mind, the food doesn't go into fat on her.

garnuft, what to say, you sound understandably weary of your situation. X

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
This is really to Witzend and Raggedrobin, from my experience of late/end stage Alzheimer's. My Mum was always fit too with very little medication, however, she had a fall in the care home in January resulting in broken hip. She rallied enough for us to get her into a as it turned out, very good Nursing Home from hospital. Disability/incontinence at some level of awareness I feel really upset her and possibly she decided . . . who knows.Bedbound now and days before her death she pointed at the wheelchair and said 'I hate that thing!' and told us how much she loved us. bedbound and restless, she was fed those fortified yogs, and had little sips of drinks. At no point was she forced. The difference I feel was that the NH had lots of experience of end of life care, and had called the doctor who agreed with my brother - no more meds etc. In fact I put it in writing to the doctor that I agreed with DNR etc, as I did not want any questions raised. Every time we went, the Nurse was around and I was so grateful. I think its down to their experience and training - maybe a joint, well-considered letter from siblings re no forced feeding would do it? Admittedly we have the modern LPA, but this was not mentioned. We were fortunate to have this feeling that all concerned understood the territory - which raises the question, when is the end the end? Its very sad when they do go as then your memories, good and bad come back, and it takes some time to sort your head out. I'm only now starting to feel relieved, 5 months on. Its really been the hardest time, and I do realise that maybe I'm lucky in that Mum did not linger in the end. Heartfelt sympathies.

Last edited:

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
My gran is still going strong at 101 and a half. (very important the half)
She's been in the NH for 2 1/2 years now, getting more infections, having more falls, but keeps on recovering. She is presently trying to persuade me to let her move in with me. She'll be no trouble she says. I told my husband it would be over MY dead body.

I have had a period of acceptance of the situation, but right now I'm just back to fury with it all. Almost like the calm before the storm. But right now I'm going through a right old humdinger of a hurricane with it all.

Back to being 'at wits end'

Helen