Husband's glucose level

blackwood77

Jul 17, 2015
Hi I'm blackwood77 and a new member. Husband has dementia and type 2 diabetic
Is glucose level a factor if dementia worse?

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I don't know for certain but I think in someone without dementia there is a change in mood with a high blood sugar (with a low blood sugar it is different again). One of my diabetic friends put a chart on facebook only today which was supposed to be funny, lots of different smiley or frowny or tearful faces depending on the time of day and what she had eaten, what her sugar levels were like.
Is your husband in control of what he eats or is this a problem now? Do you check his sugar levels and have you noticed changes, and are you able to subtly control what he eats?

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hi Blackwood77, welcome to TP. I don't have any experience of diabetes and dementia but I'm sure others on here will be along with help and advice soon.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

blackwood77

Jul 17, 2015
Glucose/ dementia

I don't know for certain but I think in someone without dementia there is a change in mood with a high blood sugar (with a low blood sugar it is different again). One of my diabetic friends put a chart on facebook only today which was supposed to be funny, lots of different smiley or frowny or tearful faces depending on the time of day and what she had eaten, what her sugar levels were like.
Is your husband in control of what he eats or is this a problem now? Do you check his sugar levels and have you noticed changes, and are you able to subtly control what he eats?

I try to control husband's diet but he has a "sweet tooth" and can get really naggy if he doesn't get his sugar fix. On metformin now and glucose levels fine so I just let him have what he wants to eat - line of least resistance!!!

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hi,
If blood sugar levels are fine then there is nothing to worry about. Presumably your GP does occasional (maybe 6 monthly) blood tests (Hba1c) to monitor levels. The Hba1c gives an indication of what the blood sugar level has been over the previous 12 weeks, so medication can be amended accordingly.
Amy

blackwood77

Jul 17, 2015
Glucose/ dementia

Hi,
If blood sugar levels are fine then there is nothing to worry about. Presumably your GP does occasional (maybe 6 monthly) blood tests (Hba1c) to monitor levels. The Hba1c gives an indication of what the blood sugar level has been over the previous 12 weeks, so medication can be amended accordingly.
Amy

Hi Amy, good of you to reply with reassuring response, husbands levels tested Hba1c every 6 months. The confusion and memory issues probably then not related, but diabetic nurse says b12 borderline which doesn't necessarily mean optimal and I understand low b12 can affect brain. Docs. apt. 31st July so will ask