Awareness

B

bjthink

Sometimes here I think out loud. I really don't know what I'm doing, despite my years of famous psychological 'expertise', and my extensive over-qualifications. I'm lost. My mother is as much a mystery to me now as she has ever been, and as much of a problem. I do what I can to help her, but it's never enough, for her, or for objectivity.
I'm walking in a fog, and am fuddled.
I truly appreciate the hand on my hand which some of you give me. Thank you, storm. You may underestimate the comfort which you offer to me, but I don't. I want to make all this OK, particularly for my kid 'sister' who has suffered in ways I can't evaluate or cure.
I know I can't manage any of this. But if this internet support system falls apart, so shall I.
Thank you all. You are my comfort blanket. I appreciate every word of help and kindness, more than you know.
xxx

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear BJ,

I agree that there are probably a lot of people who are nasty, damaged and toxic in the world who do not have AD and it's a great tragedy that your mother apparently was one of them. This will have caused incredible distress to you in the past, but ....

It is also a documented fact that AD sufferers can tend to be abusive and aggressive as the disease progresses. Even the most mild natured and kindly people such as my parents, can exhibit these symptoms. My mother has now indulged in some fairly ripe and abusive language and my father has on a couple of occasions attempted to deck me!

But whatever your mother's [or my parents'] mindset may be currently - I don't think that any of them are being 'consciously malignant' now. If we can take that as a given, then we can rise above the 'emotional subjective' and become 'realistcally objective' and address the immediate problems.

This really means putting all the past hurts aside and dealing with the here and now. That means caring for them as they are today and assessing their needs on a day by day basis from this moment onwards.

It does take a quantam leap to do it, but forgetting the past can be done. Storm has proved that and I really admire her for doing so.

We have to look to the future and not into the past if we are to survive as carers in the current time.

Best wishes,

Jude

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Hi all, I agree that we shouldnt dwell in the past but i dont think we should look to the future either, i live for today i go by the saying the past is a memory the future unknown live for today.BJ imyself have done things in the past that have hurt my family and nearly destroyed me in the prosess but i know and my family know that it wasnt my fault but the severe clinical depression that had totally taken me over, i was lucky i got help but there was many so called friends and even family that didnt understand it was an illness as much as cancer is.This still haunts me at times but i have to learrn from it and move on .I very rarely talk about this unless it is to try and help someone understand that sometimes you do lose control of your feelings and actions and believe me it is a dark and terrible place to be.love storm

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Storm
I think by now everyone knows my thoughts and are sick of reading them,day by day.
I live day by day because the past has gone,the future uncertain,
Day by day I just try to make my Peg as happy as I can,how long can I keep her ?
Although she will not remember from one minute to the next does it matter if she enjoyed the moment,of course it doesn't.
I cannot be bothered with complicated ideas to try and jog her memory.I think it is cruel and causes more confusion.
Simple reminders and thats all.
All best wishes
Norman :)

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Dear norman, you got it in one, what does it matter if they dont know what day it is or what they had for lunch with my cooking its best to forget it anyway! has long as we love and care for them and a little gentle guidance all will be well i hope! storm

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Storm & Norman,
Have to agree with both your last postings. Today, now, that is all that matters.
After all, if today is bad, tomorrow could bring that smile or words that make all the difference. Keep smiling, Connie

B

bjthink

Jude said:
Dear BJ,

This will have caused incredible distress to you in the past, but ....

This really means putting all the past hurts aside and dealing with the here and now. That means caring for them as they are today and assessing their needs on a day by day basis from this moment onwards.

It does take a quantam leap to do it, but forgetting the past can be done. Storm has proved that and I really admire her for doing so.

We have to look to the future and not into the past if we are to survive as carers in the current time.

Best wishes,

Jude

As I said, it's very difficult for me to explain, but my mother's underlying condition is NOT in the past. It's here, in the present, running alongside the dementia. Her rants and tantrums and violence are IDENTICAL to those she's had all her life, and haven't changed one iota in tone, frequency, content or length. I am ALWAYS the one she selects for this treatment, and she has always made it clear and continues to do so, that she has hated me from the moment I was born, and that she hates all women, and that only men have value in her life. From when I was 18 months to when I was 8 she made repeated efforts to drown me, holding my head under a cold water tap until I stopped breathing. She had a miscarriage when I was 18 months old, and one theory to explain her fragile mental health is that she had post-partum psychosis which was never treated.
Her psychosis also confused the professionals who deal with her. No one believed me, because they hadn't 'seen' it, but I've got used to that, as an abuse survivor. The whole point of abuse is that it's secret.
Then, in December, her new Social Worker came round when she was 'into' one of her rants, and couldn't stop herself, and went on at me for another 2 hours, in front of the SW.
The difference the dementia makes is that in the past no one witnessed these outside the family, as she was able, very successfully, to mask her condition in front of others. She is a little less able to do that now.
The rant witnessed by the SW is what I've had to deal with, continually, for 60 years.
Following that, last month, there was a crisis meeting with the SW, psychiatrist and CPN, and the SW was brilliant, because she'd been so terrified at the time, and pointed out to the psychiatrist that this WASN'T dementia, it was ongoing psychosis (SW has a background in mental health, in admissions wards of pychiatric hospitals). Until then, everyone had thought, as most here think, that it was the 'aggression' element of vascular dementia, but the part that's different apart from the fact that it's lifelong in duration is that it can't be stopped by distraction, intervention, comfort, reassurance, or any of the conventional tools. These things go on and on until they burn out in their own time, in this case 3 hours in total, until I could manage to get away.
So this is the nub of the problem. The psychiatrist and SW advised me that I'm not safe with her. But I know that anyway. I was advised to take a backseat role as her Primary carer and try to distance myself, physically, but that isn't practically possible, most of the time. The psychiatrist said that with the progression of the dementia it may be that her psychotic episodes diminish in their intensity and might even end. So I suppose that's what I'm hoping for.
The fact is that she's abused me all her life, and the abuse CONTINUES, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the dementia. My distress isn't just in my memory bank, it's part of the here and now.
In contrast to this, I find the dementia is relatively 'easy' if that's not a strange thing to say, and I suppose it must sound unacceptable to all of you, and I sincerely apologise if anyone is upset by that statement because I know that dementia is taking your dearly loved ones away in a very cruel way, and in my case paradoxically it may be giving me someone to love. The person she is with dementia is human and real and suffering, and has some insight into her problem, and I can almost feel love for her. I've never before been able to see her as another human being, as she's never been 'real', and never been a 'mother'. I can now even hug her, and calm her fears, help her through the dark days, and deal with her constant repetition and questioning without ever losing patience. Curiously, I'm now the only person in her life to whom she will openly express her fears and from whom she can accept comfort, although she can turn on me at any moment, as she always has done. And, because she now has dementia, I can share some of the issues involved in that, directly or indirectly, through the TP support system. This, most of the time, gives me a comforting feeling of inclusion which is a pretty new experience for me! Abuse survival is a fairly intense and private affair.
I hope that this may have given you some insight into the compexity of this particular case. It IS very different, and I feel almost completely alone with it, as hardly anyone understands - except now, thank God, the psychiatrist and Social Worker, who are doing their best to help.
Conventional wisdom just doesn't apply! :)

B

bjthink

Highlight - so why did I worry?

I was tempted to post this is the Highlight of the Day thread, but since I started this, I thought it ought to be posted here.
This afternoon has been good beyond my wildest dreams. When I went into the cathedral to light a candle for Magic's mum, I also lit one for my mother.
My mother called me at 5, just as I was in the middle of starting my Powerpoint presentation for the Dallas conference (which will take me weeks to complete) and immediately launched into one of her delusions - the guy up the road who 'stole' her address books and fancies her, etc etc, and then started asking me to buy her a new address book, and help her write in all her phone numbers.
In an effort to distract her, I asked whether she'd seen anyone today, and whether anyone had written a message for her in her book. She promptly put the phone down to search for her book, and came back proudly with it to the phone, eventually.
She then said, 'I have a message in my book! It's 2005, February, Saturday 12th - is that right?'
'Yes,' I said.
' I have a message!' she proudly announced. 'And I know what day it is!'
She then went on to read me the message, very painstakingly, from the daughter of her neighbour - who is a diamond, as is the funny, lovely 16-year-old daughter.
It was a very cheeky message about how they'd sat around eating chocolates from one of my mother's 'mystery admirers' (me, actually, but I didn't say that) and how my mother had talked about her schooldays and what a rebel she'd been, and ended up wishing my mother all the best for Monday, Valentine's Day, and hoped that she didn't pull too many young men (!).
My mother so much enjoyed reading this, that she read it to me four times in succession, each time growing in confidence, fluency and happiness.
She told me, 'It's Valentine's Day on Monday, February 14th. Am I right?'
I said, 'You are, mum!'
She said, 'See, I'm getting better, and this book helps me to get better. I need to know what day it is, and now I do. Thank you for giving me this book. You're a good girl. I don't like you, but you're a good girl.'
It brought tears to my eyes.
Today my mother had a dementia day, not a psychosis day. We could share it, and she wanted to share it. It was wonderful.
The book works, for the moment, at least.
Every case of dementia is different.

AuntyAndy

Feb 13, 2005
bjthink said:
In contrast to this, I find the dementia is relatively 'easy' if that's not a strange thing to say, and I suppose it must sound unacceptable to all of you, and I sincerely apologise if anyone is upset by that statement because I know that dementia is taking your dearly loved ones away in a very cruel way, and in my case paradoxically it may be giving me someone to love. The person she is with dementia is human and real and suffering, and has some insight into her problem, and I can almost feel love for her. :)

Dear BJ
I have been reading TP for several weeks now but this is the first time that I have felt any real personal involvement. I was very moved by your last posting yesterday - enough to register with TP this morning so that I could reply . I have quoted your words in the hope that others reading this might see where I am coming from too.

You are not alone - I will not pretend that my childhood was anywhere near as awful as the things you have described, but I too am now in the position of needing to care for someone I have never had a strong emotional relationship with. My mother has not yet been diagnosed with dementia - of any kind- but many of the things I have read on TP convince me that she does have AD. But at the same time a lot of her behaviour is just what she has always been like but now much more so.

I am very glad for you that some thing good has come from your efforts - it seems to me ( from a base of no knowledge whatsoever!) that learned behaviour is the first to go, so trying to keep pathways in the brain in use through repetition seems to me to be worth a try.

Best wishes

Suzy R

Jul 4, 2004
Switzerland
Hi Aunty and BJ

I sympathise and know exactly where you're coming from. My mother's attitude to me, although not as abusive as in BJ's case, was distinctly unpleasant and did drive me away for a while. She's had AD for over five years and her aggression and paranoia (spelling ?) manifest themselves more than ever. It's really difficult to decide when the AD is talking but she still enjoys having a good old dig at anyone or anything at the slighest opportunity.

Sadly not everyone has a close relationship with their parents or children.

Suzy
xx

B

bjthink

Can't tell you how much your posts mean to me, Aunty and Suzy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
I thought I was alone here. At last, two people in almost the same boat, and willing to admit it! It's pained me to be totally frank, on an open forum where I know my situation could upset the generous, gentle, and wonderful majority who have love and loving memory to underpin their superhuman efforts, but it really has helped me, and I'm sorry if I sound selfish in saying that.
Talking Point has worked its magic again.:)
xx