When you have seen one person with Alzheimer's you have seen one person with Alzheime

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
When I first was diagnosed I came onto this forum and someone always had a footing to her posts which said ' When you have seen one person with Alzheimer's you have seen one person with Alzheimers. I realise more and more how true that is. Cognitively I seem unchanged except for a complete inability to work with numbers. I can join in debates, teach, write etc etc. Using any sort of technology is a real struggle and getting worse. Sometimes I struggle to work out how a pair of trousers goes on. My spatial awareness is so compromised I have to use a walker because any change in floor covering looks like a step or a hole and I fell all the time. In our previous home I could describe accurately how to turn on our ancient gas fire, but my hands wouldn't do it. It was if the link between my brain and my hands was severed. Even worse there is no link between my need to go to the toilet and my recognition of that need. I manage well with my phone alert and family and friends reminding me to 'go' but I also have diverticular disease and the humiliation of what can happen when I have a flair up is awful. I know that 'my' alzheimers is untypical because I also have a couple of fissures in my brain from head injuries during a road accident and this has complicated my condition. Today it all seems too much. I have always believed that the best way to cope with this disease is to be positive and to be open. Today Switzerland and Dignitas seems an enticing option. Sorry dear friends but if I can't howl here where can I howl.

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
thank you for sharing Shelagh, it helps us to understand the frustrations of our loved ones who cannot describe what is happening to them. please contiunue to post if you are able because it is so helpful.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
As Karjo says, your comments are so helpful to us. Thank-you. I wish we could be as helpful to you. As it is, all I can say is, howl away, but feel are empathy with you.

Rainie48

Jul 1, 2015
Cambridgeshire
So sorry to hear your frustrations, it must be really difficult, but like the others it is good to hear how you feel so we can have an insight to this dreadful disease, I do hope you have some good family and friends to help you on your path. Big hug

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Excellent Post

Hi Shelagh you write an excellent post about how the illness affects you and in which I can utterly concur as you have just described how the illness is also affecting me,
Keep fighting ;)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Howl here Shelagh.

I know no one here can make it better.

I`ve been thinking about you and your post since I first read it last night. What to say which doesn`t sound trite, how to sympathise without being patronising.

I have no answers but I do know you can howl here. xx

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
Thank you

I'm feeling better today and grateful for your responses. Sometimes this seems the only place in the world where people truly understand and don't say things like ' oh I do that all the time' 'Oh you are great, no one would know you have dementia' or my favourite (not) ' you should be grateful you are not living in the Middle East'
xx

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I liked it when you wrote ((my favorite (not) 'you should be grateful you are not living in the Middle East'))

I live i the Far East does that still count. LOL :D