Shopping trip

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The weather has been so hot and so is mum. Her summer clothes were beginning to look a bit disreputable (CH industrial washing machines give all the clothes a good beating :rolleyes:) so she, a friend and I went on a shopping trip for new clothes.
I havent had such a laugh for ages! Mum went in her wheelchair and it was very similar to taking a small child shopping in a push chair! She loved the fuss and, once we had got over her initial worry that she didnt have any money, had a wonderful time. I must say, though that some of her comments on the clothes were a bit candid and she didnt like a lot of them because "they would make me look like an old woman" !!!
All the shops have got sales so we got some wonderful bargains and ended up pushing her along with the wheelchair festooned in bags - a bit like the scene from Pretty Woman where she come back from her shopping spree. :D
Unfortunately, once she got back to her CH I had to take the clothes away again to put name tags in them all, but yesterday I took her to church and she looked wonderful in her new fawn coloured trousers and a top with butterflies on it. :D:D

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
Oh Canary. What a lovely picture you paint. Your mum sounds like she had a lovely time. Its those good memories we need to store up to look back on when the days are darker. My own mum (87 yrs) is forever commenting "i'm not wearing that, I'll look like an old woman". I did ask her one day how old someone had to be in her mind before they were old. "you're very cheeky Isabella" was all the reply I got.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
"I did ask her one day how old someone had to be in her mind before they were old"

Mum used to say that she was never going to get old because old people were at least 10 years older than her!
She stopped saying that a few years ago though, when she realised that she didnt actually know many people who were older than her (wry smile) and now, of course, she thinks that she is young again :rolleyes:

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Oh Canary. What a lovely picture you paint. Your mum sounds like she had a lovely time. Its those good memories we need to store up to look back on when the days are darker. My own mum (87 yrs) is forever commenting "i'm not wearing that, I'll look like an old woman". I did ask her one day how old someone had to be in her mind before they were old. "you're very cheeky Isabella" was all the reply I got.

Even in her pre-dementia early 80s my mother wouldn't wear what she considered 'frumpy old lady' clothes. And although she is way past caring now, I still won't buy them for her.