My Mom

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Hi all. Just an update on my poor Mom. When she was taken off her medication she seemed a lot brighter, was saying the odd word, not so sleepy It did not last long. The last few visits she has not spoken, seems sleepy again and is unaware that we are there. The only thing she can manage to do is drink her coffee, which is now thickened as she was starting to choke. She does smile at us, but they tell us that she does not recognise us, we are just a familiar face. I always tell her I love her and it would be lovely to know she knows what I am saying. My eldest daughter got married last Friday. I took the photos in today to show her. She had no idea what they were and who we were talking about. She would have been so proud of my daughter and I have shed quite a few tears because of this. Anyway thats the latest on my Mom. xx:cool:

annii1

Jul 5, 2012
west sussex
Oh Wendy. It's so hArd to see our mum's with this terrible illness. Just giving her a hug and saying you love her must make her happy I do the same with my mum, best wishes

Jenn

Feb 24, 2009
Leeds
I'm in the same situation. Visited Mum this morning, she's very sleepy and the words when they came out were disconnected not making sense. This is a big decline even compared to 3-4 months ago. I held her hand and sat with her, I tell myself she is comfortable, not unhappy, not in pain but she is fading away. It's like having a computer where all the files are being systematically deleted.
In your case you've got your daughters wedding to think of and that's all good.
I wondered actually about next time I visit wheeling her into her room and playing music. I think music touches places other can't, anyway worth a try.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
So sorry, Wendy and Jenn :(

I agree that music touches parts of the person / psyche / soul that mere words can't. I find the same with mum. Conversations are next to impossible now, but we do sit and listen to music and I am sure this helps her ( as it does me, too)

All the best

Lindy xx

Jenn

Feb 24, 2009
Leeds
Its rotten isn't it, I try to stay positive about it all but sometimes it really grinds me down too, it feels like one slog. Especially as my Dad died of dementia 5 years ago. I don't know about you but I don't tend to discuss it much with other people as I don't want to embarrass myself and get upset. I know its much harder for people who have to care for a dementia person full time, or for people with early-onset dementia - after all my Mum is 86 now - but sometimes it does make me very sad.
But then again you've got to stay positive!

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
There are a lot of us in the same position, and it is sad and so awful. Went to see mom this morning and she was obviously uncomfortable, but could not tell us in what way.
She looked so lost and far away and staring into space. I look at her and it is no longer Mom. The only thing she can now do is drink a cup of tea on her own. If she knew what she was like, she would hate it. xx

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan