Forward Ho!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Guy to look at the well/ pump etc has just been. Another €80 paid out! On top of the €70 for a new wheelbarrow on Saturday. :-( Think I need a lie down! Dau and SIL said that as it was probably his fault, they will pay the bill, so I hope they do.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
LadyA - can I join the "down in the dumps because there is no-one to share the problems with" group. What is rain? Feels like the Sahara here on the South Coast. I have even started dreaming its raining and always wake up disappointed. Hope your migraine is better - horrible things to contend with. Loving thoughts and hoping William is stable WIFE

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Feeling much better and more hopeful today. I was out in the garden very early - watering!! We did have some heavy rain a few days ago for which I was grateful but the earth is so dry we're back to square one.
Thanks for your good wishes Verity.
Hope you get some help with your pump Lady A.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I was not out in the garden early! I woke a few times in the night - actually thought of getting up at around 6.30, and then I thought "What for?" but I didn't think I'd go back to sleep. I absolutely did though - and didn't wake until 9.30!! After some really weird dreams! And I'd forgotten to put my bin out last night - but there's only one bag in the bottom of it anyway, so no matter. I don't generate much rubbish!

It's a teensy bit overcast, but there's no rain in sight.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Must have needed the sleep Lady A. I'm very forgetful about putting out the rubbish too, especially since they changed the day. Remembered yesterday though and even got around to putting out the bag of pyracantha and rose trimmings. We don't have much rubbish, a lot goes on the compost heap - even old clothes if they're wool or cotton. It's surprising how quickly they rot down. Hopefully the voles who live down there will make use of them to line their nests in the meantime. I will NOT think there are rats!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hello LadyA - Hope you don't mind me popping in occasionally. Hubby needs so much attention (VaS) so I never seem to have enough time to keep up with all the posts, let alone reply.

I do admire how you carry on the way you do while you continue to love and care for your husband in the CH you have lots of hard work obviously maintaining your garden, etc. Although we live in town, it was a revelation to me when I worked in an office and, for the first time, I realised that living in country often meant private water supplies, wells, septic tanks, etc. Townies like us often have rose tinted specs and wish we could live in the country without realising all that it involves.

It's good that you slept well - sure you needed that.

Hope today is a better day for all of us. xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Still no more gardening done! The headache is gone but the spasm in my shoulder muscle isn't! It's agony, in spite of copious amounts of pain relief gel.
The nursing home were thrilled with the bath lift, which I brought in today. William still looks like he has deteriorated a bit, and I mentioned it to one of the staff. She agreed, and said she can see his face is gone a bit more hollow in the cheeks and at the temples. She said he hadn't eaten much yesterday evening or this morning, but had eaten a good dinner at lunchtime today.

I have to wash and blowdry my hair and prepare to glamorise myself tomorrow, for going with mum for afternoon tea at the very posh Waterford Castle Hotel, which is on a private island in the middle of the river! Dress code "smart -casual ".

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My fish & chips are only now in the oven! I was filling the buckets for watering in the polytunnel - when suddenly the water stopped flowing! I couldn't believe it - thought the pump was acting up again, having just been repaired yesterday! Came into the house to call and leave a message for the repair guy, and realised it wasn't the pump - the power was off! So called the electric company, and the power came back about half an hour ago. Waiting impatiently for dinner, although I'm not terribly hungry - I didn't have lunch until nearly 4!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Watering a polytunnel with buckets sounds like hard work LadyA - no wonder your shoulder hurts. Glad the pump wasn't playing up though.
Poor William - I hope his days are peaceful and he enjoyed his lunch.
Oooh, posh tea. Hope you and your mum have a wonderful time:):):)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Watering a polytunnel with buckets sounds like hard work LadyA - no wonder your shoulder hurts. Glad the pump wasn't playing up though.
Poor William - I hope his days are peaceful and he enjoyed his lunch.
Oooh, posh tea. Hope you and your mum have a wonderful time:):):)

But it uses less water than with a hose! And it's so good for me - no bingo wings here! :D
I have always watered this way, even in the veg garden. Bucket and a jug and watered each plant. If you water all around with a hose, you are in effect, watering the weeds!

Hair is not washed yet. Think I will leave it now until the morning.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Sorry you're in pain and that William isn't so good, but hope you enjoy your posh tea. Have heard of the Waterford Castle Hotel. Its reputation has even spread to this part of the world. Let's see you in your finery

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hope the shoulder is better, I remember doing something to mine lifting a full 2 gallon watering can to water my hanging baskets which were head height. Who needs to go weight lifting when you've got a garden to look after. Really missing mine at the moment but hope SIL will finish clearing the clay and remains of an old garage base and then we can think about top soil. Will have to content myself with pots and troughs this year. Hope the Waterford Castle event is a great success, enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hope the shoulder is better, I remember doing something to mine lifting a full 2 gallon watering can to water my hanging baskets which were head height. Who needs to go weight lifting when you've got a garden to look after. Really missing mine at the moment but hope SIL will finish clearing the clay and remains of an old garage base and then we can think about top soil. Will have to content myself with pots and troughs this year. Hope the Waterford Castle event is a great success, enjoy!

It has cake in abundance I believe - how can it fail?:D

The shoulder problem stems from an old injury which led to a very lengthy "frozen" shoulder. It eventually healed after a fashion, but I don't have full movement - and the joint doesn't move properly. It looks as if it's moving properly, but apparently is not. So it's putting strain on the muscle. You can actually see if you look closely that there is something different about that arm at the shoulder when I raise it. I took an anti-inflam tablet last night - it's weird. Sometimes I can go for a couple of weeks without it bothering me at all. Must have been using the strimmer at the weekend made it flare up, although I had the weight of the strimmer in the other hand.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012

Started physio for my arthritic knees and apparently the weight lifting involved in rolling my heavy bedbound husband is better than doing nothing. Who'd have thought? New mantra when handling 'This IS doing you good '

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I had 1 1/2 years of two-weekly physiotherapy sessions with ultra-sonic therapy thrown in on the shoulder. "Keep it exercised so it doesn't freeze up again" is the best prognosis. Seems there's lots of scar tissue formed around the ligaments or tendons or something, and that's restricting movement a bit. (But no-one can tell me where the "scar tissue" came from!) But they do tell me that if I don't keep it exercised the tissue will tighten and movement will become more difficult. Hey-ho! :rolleyes:

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Interesting to hear that you do all your watering by hand- I do too, partly because the garden is too long for the hosepipe but also because I'm too inept to know how to connect the hosepipe up:( Now I can feel sensible because I'm not watering the weeds and I'm counteracting bingo wings!! I do have a sore arm though -not diagnosed but it's the one Nick always hangs on to. Think I may visit a physio.
How were the cakes?:):):)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx