Forward Ho!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Anniversaries happen as long as someone is alive to remember. Haven't we just had the remembrances for the Great War..... My Dad died 26 years ago, Mum just earlier this year, but I always bought her flowers for their anniversary........... :)After all she may have been widowed, but she had memories of her wedding day .

My own first wedding anniversary was spent apart from my husband....I was out for a meal with some work colleagues and my OH had not even remembered the date....he's a bit like that, not what you might call traditionally romantic.:rolleyes::) Now we're up to 44 years, I find that, with judicious prompting he can remember the card!!:D:D:D;)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Exactly. My dad died in 2001, but mum still celebrates their anniversary every year. She says their marriage is still something to celebrate, and I think she's right.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
That's why I have an aversion to calling myself a widow, LadyA. My marriage was so special to me that I wish to remain a wife even though my husband is no longer here in person. A so-called friend told me that if I don't advertise I am a widow these days I will never find another man! I prefer to live with the memories of the one I had these days. So pleased for you that William managed to pull through the last upset - you deserve that beautiful bouquet for your devotion to him. Thinking of you both WIFE

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
That's why I have an aversion to calling myself a widow, LadyA. My marriage was so special to me that I wish to remain a wife even though my husband is no longer here in person. A so-called friend told me that if I don't advertise I am a widow these days I will never find another man! I prefer to live with the memories of the one I had these days. So pleased for you that William managed to pull through the last upset - you deserve that beautiful bouquet for your devotion to him. Thinking of you both WIFE

Once heard a widow describe herself as a "surviving wife" after her husband had died.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Caught red-pawed! Turned my back for a moment and there she was! And all I'd had was beans on toast!

Attachments

• 1434137117303.jpg
    1434137117303.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 365

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Anyone fancy a "drink " of William's orange juice? :p He loved it though, and "drank " the whole pot full! :)

Attachments

• 1434198906335.jpg
    1434198906335.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 310

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And your cats a naughty cat too

:eek: :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

:D:D:D

I'm exhausted! But feeling well pleased with myself. I got my strimmer going and did some in the back of the house. Then I had to turn it off while I got the front gate open (it sticks). Couldn't get the strimmer started again! So I left it awhile and spent half an hour or so pulling a wheelbarrow full of goose-grass out of my berberis bushes in the back. Not sure what variety they are, one is Darwinii, but the other two are purple leaved in Summer but bare in Winter. With absolutely vicious thorns! Then took the wheelbarrow to the roadside and pulled another barrowload of goosegrass from there. By then the strimmer had cooled, and I was able to get it started again, and I used it at the roadside to attack the nettles, overgrown grass and bracken. Then it was to weeding the polytunnel and watering out there. All this was this afternoon. This morning, I had to go buy a new wheelbarrow! I had got a new wheel for the old one yesterday, but when I went to change it, I discovered the frame was so corroded (it had been a very lightweight cheap one William had bought about 15 or 16 years ago) that it just crumbled away! €70 for a new barrow! But it's a good strong one and not too heavy or large to manage. Then I went to the nursing home (with the wheelbarrow still in the back of the car!) and got to feed William a drink of orange juice with a spoon! He "drank" it all. I spoke with the nursing director too, as she had asked the staff to alert her when I was leaving. She wanted to let me know that they had had the GP in to go through the hospital reports and do the paperwork to confirm that William would not be transferred to the hospital again, which meant that the nursing home could get in stock the medication they might need to keep him comfortable and pain free at the end, so she said they have that in stock now, even though at the moment, he seems to be doing ok. We got talking about the very comfortable chairs they have - high dependency mobile armchairs with footrests. She said that although the Health Service do supply them, it takes six months to get one from them! So, she said that a lot of the chairs they have, families actually bought them for their relative - and they cost a minimum of €2,000 - and then when their relative died, they donated the chair to the nursing home, who were very grateful for them, because it meant that when someone suddenly deteriorated, like William, and needed one, they had one ready.
Which gave me an idea! So I asked her if they would have a use for the Bath Lift I had bought for William, which I still have at home. She was thrilled! They have a standard bath, but don't have a bath lift. She has been hoping to get one, she said it's on her "wish list", because some of the residents would prefer a bath to a shower. So I will bring it to them next week. It's the same kind as is supplied by the Health Service here, but you have to wait so long for an OT to visit and approve anything - and at the time, I needed it badly, as we don't have a separate shower, so I bought it. I'm glad it will get an appreciative home!:)

And for tea this evening, I have had the first few peas and spinach leaves from the garden! :) Happy days!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And here is the roadside, after my strimmer ministrations! At least it's better than it was! Of course, I should have taken a "before" picture too, so you could compare!

Attachments

• 1434219308454.jpg
    1434219308454.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Ah - I get it - that last pic is too big, and you need to slide the bar at the bottom of the post along to the right, to see the full pic of my destruction of the weeds! :)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
You say you are exhausted.... I hope it's a "gosh haven't I done well" exhausted. The feeling of achievement exhausted - ok so the muscles and aches and pains would rather you hadn't... But for me, after achieving so much to get things straight, the exhausted pain is good :)

Me - I'm a tight fisted lady dog.... Yes I would have "donated" the bath hoist.... On the understanding that it was part payment..... :eek:

But you a much nicer person than I am :D :D

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You deserve another Magnum, LadyA. Well done, both in your garden and for donating your bath lift. xxxx

I was just thinking too that a Magnum would be nice Verity - sadly, I don't think I have any! One of the problems with living in the country - you can't just run out to the shop easily!

Right now, I'm going to turn on the water to heat for a bath. I certainly deserve that!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Good strimming LadyA!! Sorry about the Magnum famine, hope you get a chance to lay in new supplies soon. It's important to have treats available at all times:):):)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You say you are exhausted.... I hope it's a "gosh haven't I done well" exhausted. The feeling of achievement exhausted - ok so the muscles and aches and pains would rather you hadn't... But for me, after achieving so much to get things straight, the exhausted pain is good :)

Me - I'm a tight fisted lady dog.... Yes I would have "donated" the bath hoist.... On the understanding that it was part payment..... :eek:

But you a much nicer person than I am :D :D

No, after the hospital couldn't do anything for William, he couldn't eat or drink there without choking , and was completely immobile, but now the nursing home have him enjoying his meals, taking the thickened liquids fairly well and walking with support. They are about the cheapest nursing home around (not why I chose it) but the care they give is so good. Certainly beyond "their job". Some people there, their families could afford to buy an expensive chair, some couldn't. But all the residents are treated equally, no matter their means. William is benefitting from some other family's donation of a chair. I'm happy for others to benefit from the bath lift. Donations of things like that helps keep the fees down too, I'm sure.
Ps. Yes, exhausted in the best way! Great job satisfaction!

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Lovely Lady a , good to share . So many don't see the good in that :rolleyes:

I have magnums in the freezer for those requiring :rolleyes::D:pi shall keep my freezer stocked high incase .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA