Relevant Persons Representative DOLS

Fragmentsofred

May 16, 2012
Just suddenly received a letter out of the blue telling me that the (don't) care home applied to remove mum's civil liberties. Mum is severely disabled and unable to move and all I did was ask why they hadn't bothered to get her out of bed for a year and they respond by going behind my back to get her rights removed.

I thought as her representative I should have been informed but I was not, it was done behind my back.

They didn't manage it, it was refused thank God but what the hell are they playing at? I'm incredibly worried now that they really do want to imprison her. I need to change homes I think.

Should I have been contacted? it says I should. My biggest worry is that because I care and point out when they do something wrong they may have wanted to get rid of me and stop mum from seeing me. I wouldn't put this past them, I've had attacks at the last home because I spoke out, later it was closed down.

Any help or advice would be great. Thanks. :confused::mad::(

Fragmentsofred

May 16, 2012
I re-read the forms and found that they had put me down on the form and clearly stated that I had been consulted. I was not. I know this was done in response to my asking why they ignore her and leave her to fester all day long because it was done on the very day I complained.

They also state on the form that there is no POA when I have that too.

This in my mind amounts to fraud. It clearly states that I know about this when I knew nothing until the letter came through. I feel sick this is not the first time a care home has underhandedly launched attack on my for caring. The last place got closed down. :(

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well that's a different situation entirely. I would suggest calling the AS hotline to see what options you have because I agree, this does rather sound like a failure to follow the required procedure.

Fragmentsofred

May 16, 2012
Thank you I will.

Now that my mind has taken it in I see that they have suggested that even though mum would love to come home, they suggest I'll forget to feed her and that I won't be able to care for her when I would obviously pay for private carers etc. It is the first step to undermining me.

It seems as if they just wanted to wound... this is all because I complained in front of a Nurse assessor who then asked why mum never got out of bed. They suggest moving her to another home would be bad also yet I don't feel I can visit that home now knowing that they have done this behind my back.

I will look towards obtaining help to get her moved to another care home... preferably not a bupa one.

Thank you for your time.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My Husband had 5 Dols placed on him over the years. 4 times in a MHU and once in his CH. Each time a SW informed me this step was being taken-including the DOLs at the CH. In my experience this was an oversight by SS's-but of course things change and it is possibly a mistake by the CH. Having a DOLS is a very common thing because of a case taken to the Supreme Court (not Dementia related if I remember correctly). Every resident in my late Husband's CH had a DOLS, so I'm actually surprised the DOLS wasn't granted.

It is possible that your Mum voiced her wish to go home and, by not granting her wish, the CH could have been viewed as effectively detaining her against her will. The DOLS has nothing to do with stopping a person from visiting their relative; it COULD stop a relative/friend from taking her out if it was deemed in your Mum's best interests.

Sometimes we have to be very diplomatic in voicing concerns regarding our relatives care; I had no complaints towards the CH my OH was in but one visiting daughter, whose Dad was in the home, used to be very vocal in front of other visitors when she had a complaint-it was upsetting for everyone who was within earshot. I feel It is better to have a quiet word with the Manager to start with rather than involve other professionals.

Edit: just read Jennifer's link. Sorry a DOLS can involve stopping visits from friends/family. I suggest you get advice as per jennifer's suggestion

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfisch