Night incontenence

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Who told you not to take him out everyday? Yes it's difficult to deal with incontinence when out but don't let that stop you - he has a right to a life as normal as possible. People at the day centre should be well equipped to deal with incontinence.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband is doubly incontinent. He is out more or less every day. I go into the disabled access loos with him and I change him there as and when necessary. I always go out with a bag containing a change of clothes. I have a portable urinal bottle which comes in the bag with us along with wipes and gloves and bin bags.

I have it down to a fine art now!

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Beate and Izzy, my hubby is so difficult now to take out, l have been taking him out everyday for 2yrs thats when he stopped driving, l am very tired and need to rest more, so Dr advised me not to take him out everyday, he refuses to go to day care or clubs, l take him out 3 days a week, Friday is his first day out with Crossroads, hopefully he will go. He is not incontinent in the day as long as we find a toilet, not always possible.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hello Beate and Izzy, my hubby is so difficult now to take out, l have been taking him out everyday for 2yrs thats when he stopped driving, l am very tired and need to rest more, so Dr advised me not to take him out everyday, he refuses to go to day care or clubs, l take him out 3 days a week, Friday is his first day out with Crossroads, hopefully he will go. He is not incontinent in the day as long as we find a toilet, not always possible.

So sorry, I didn't realise that the restriction was to do with your own well-being. It makes sense to follow medical advice in the circumstances.

Let's hope he gives Crossroads a go and likes it. This should help you both.

gingernut45

Mar 7, 2013
Cambrigeshire
If hubby likes the pull-ups, try getting them from a mobility aids centre, you can get vat off them then. I find that most retail shops don't' understand the vat forms, the sales assistance are rarely asked about them. Radar keys are also available from mobility aids centres and shop mobility centres. You have to pay for them, but they open ALL disabled toilets in the country, and they are clean.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you gingernut45 l bought washable jockey pants with padding back and front, they are marvelous, they were from age uk, don't know how long they will last, they are very well made, saves throwing soiled pads in the bin. Ordered a key from Amazon. Thank you for your help ☺

Puck

Jun 10, 2015
Norfolk
Carpet help.

This week my hubby wakes up wants to go to the toilet, by the time he has found the toilet he has finished, so it is from bedroom to toilet, l have put old towels down to soak it up, l do have Axminster carpets so they are tough. He says it is not me, its all the other people in the house, quite a challenge, l have now got incontinence pants, wish me luck that l will be able to get him to put them on tonight

After you have got the worst up try a thick layer of salt which can be brushed up afterwards. My husband has two urine bottles by his bed and this has worked well. But about once a week for the last 3 weeks I come in to find untrained in bottles and on the floor. He remembers nothing and is quite upset. At the suggestion of my daughter I have bought a rubberised bath mat but this morning he had missed that and gone beyond it. Any suggestions from anyone. I am a completely new forum person and feel all at sea!

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello puck welcome to Talking Point, l have now got washable padded pants from Age uk they are wonderful the pads are stitched in you can put them in the washing machine, my hubby is on sleeping pills he would wake up to go to the toilet, but before he got there he had wet himself, no problem now the pants just soak it up. He is ok in the daytime as long as we find a toilet when he wants to go. Sorry you are having problems too.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
You can get them from Amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_50brue6j83_e

Our council gives one free if you have a Blue Badge.

They are a godsend!!!

WOW I had never heard of these before! I have ordered one just now on the AgeUK website, a snip at £5.60 including delivery!

This forum is chuffin' brilliant, it's been so helpful with practical advice as well as the emotional support.

But how come I had to read about them here and none of the countless organisations and NHS professionals thought to tell me about this? AND I've just read here that incontinence pants might be free for Mum via the NHS and nobody had told me THAT either! Just about to make a phone call....

Puck

Jun 10, 2015
Norfolk
Hello puck welcome to Talking Point, l have now got washable padded pants from Age uk they are wonderful the pads are stitched in you can put them in the washing machine, my hubby is on sleeping pills he would wake up to go to the toilet, but before he got there he had wet himself, no problem now the pants just soak it up. He is ok in the daytime as long as we find a toilet when he wants to go. Sorry you are having problems too.

Thanks, but I feel these might be a backward step as so far, 6/7 days he manages perfectly. I will remember them for the future as it will probably gets worse.
My husband was diagnoses 8 years ago and I think because I got him tested early it has been a slow progression, but has speeded up in the last year. Today is our 6th respite day, and I'm not sure if I get more from being alone or meeting up with friends!

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Puck thank you for your reply, my hubby has had Alzheimers for 8 or 9 yrs, only diaanosed 3yrs ago, but has got so much worse over the last 6mnths, this is such a horrible disease, every week seems to change, how we manage l do not know, it is so good to have this forum to discuss our problems, friends and family don't really know what we are going through, take care, keep posting its good to chat

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
WOW I had never heard of these before! I have ordered one just now on the AgeUK website, a snip at £5.60 including delivery!

This forum is chuffin' brilliant, it's been so helpful with practical advice as well as the emotional support.

But how come I had to read about them here and none of the countless organisations and NHS professionals thought to tell me about this? AND I've just read here that incontinence pants might be free for Mum via the NHS and nobody had told me THAT either! Just about to make a phone call....

Nobody told me either! They knew I was using a wheelchair at the time. Always had to buy my own, and find out about the key from probably this site. Bought one, so that problem also solved.

It is good here, isn't it :)

They probs didn't tell us coz we didn't ask?

Puck

Jun 10, 2015
Norfolk
I know it's been awhile since this subject started but at one stage with my husband I had three urine bottles by his bed and a low level light on. He managed well with these. Another time if getting the necessary bit of anatomy into the urine bottle was too intricate, I had a plastic tall rubbish bin minus lid by the bed. Being big it not only did not need a good aim, but didn't splash up! The things we try ladies.y