dementiaville

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
:D

I thought the Dementiaville care home was lovely, but the people featured seemed mainly in early dementia. The care home guy was great with 'John' but how many care homes can afford for one worker to take one guy on an outing every week? Or was it in his own spare time?

I wondered about that too, with 30 residents that's quite a commitment of one person's time. I hope all the other residents get that much 1-2-1 attention. Also wondered what other problems 'John' had; on the basis of what we saw I was a bit surprised that he was in residential care but I'm sure there must be a reason. What did strike me was how much it helped that a number of the residents were still quite physically capable so it was easier to take them out and do things with them in the home itself.

So there a few caveats, but I was impressed with the respect and dignity shown to everyone.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I have worked for both ITV & BBC (not C4) in covert filming rather than this overt type and the issue of consent is covered quite intensively and sensitively. Consent would have been obtained from the residents and if they were deemed incapable then by someone with PoA.

As this series is about the work of Dr Sheard and Dementia Care Matters I doubt there was any real difficulties getting consent or the residents probably wouldn't be there in the first place if they didn't already go along with his approach.

http://www.dementiacarematters.com/dementiaville_programme1

A link to the BBC guidelines.......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/page/guidance-vulnerable-contributors-full

Thanks Pete. Very helpful. But I can't find any reference to PoA in either document.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I found myself watching with relief and admiration, despite thinking originally that it would be a programme I couldn't bring myself to watch. I loved the easy, friendly, kindly rapport the staff had with residents.. it made me rejoice that such lovely people turn their energies to work in care homes. I thought briefly of others in this world who dedicate themselves to making money or achieving power and thank heavens above that there are other lovely people who choose to be carers. I expect this sounds Polly Anna-ish, and maybe the programme makers missed out some warts, but you can't fake caring, I don't think, and those staff cared. They were excellent.

Yes, it was sad that the lady lost her husband, but the subject was dealt with respectfully.

There was another programme on last night, about Ambulance services. I had the same warm feeling about those crews as I did about the care home staff. They were super. Thank heavens for decent kindly people everywhere looking out for our vulnerable loved ones.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Thanks Pete. Very helpful. But I can't find any reference to PoA in either document.
:eek: I maybe should not have used PoA as we use it on this forum.

"Vulnerable adults may not always be in a position to give informed consent; for example, people with learning difficulties or significant dementia. In such cases, in addition to the consent of the vulnerable person, someone over eighteen with primary responsibility for their care should normally give consent on their behalf, unless it is editorially justified to proceed without it. On occasion this may also apply to others, such as those who are grievously or terminally ill. It might also be advisable to consult with those closest to them before inviting them to participate in our output. We should also consider whether people who are very recently bereaved have the capacity to give informed consent."

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thanks again.

In such cases, in addition to the consent of the vulnerable person, someone over eighteen with primary responsibility for their care should normally give consent on their behalf, unless it is editorially justified to proceed without it.

So it seems that normally the vulnerable person should give consent and only then should a primary carer come into the equation.

I'm still thinking that that would rule out a lot of PWD and thereby significantly skew the 'sample' presented to the public, encouraging the widespread view that it's 'all about memory'.

I'm assuming that the 'editorial justification' would be extremely dubious if a PWD had not given consent.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I'm still thinking that that would rule out a lot of PWD and thereby significantly skew the 'sample' presented to the public, encouraging the widespread view that it's 'all about memory'.
The programme would have months/years in pre production so organising consent from residents/relatives would not have ruled out many if any at all.

As for it being skewed I do not think it is. The programme is about a particular approach run by a particular Dr. and I think that is made quite clear. I do not think it's intention is to cover all aspects of Dementia.

I'm assuming that the 'editorial justification' would be extremely dubious if a PWD had not given consent.
I only do the sharp end of the filming, the editorial side is way above my pay grade but if someone or their relative had expressly said "No" then that would probably be adhered to in this kind of film. It would not be difficult to keep the residents separated whilst filming and surely there would have been enough willing residents to cover more than just this one episode.
:)

Girlonthehill

Jan 1, 2015
Dorset
Channel 4 on Thursday at 9

"compelling and moving series showing progressive ways of caring for people with the condition"

Brilliant programme, first part last Thursday two more go. Compulsive watching and so good for my dad to see he is not alone in how he feels about mum being a care home. Butterfly system should be used by all zcH with dementia sufferers.

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
Second programme in series "Dementiaville" on Thursday 11th June at 9 o'clock - Channel 4

Have just seen on internet saying that "Dementiaville" will be on at later time 11.05 pm so best to check if you want to watch it.

Last edited:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Brilliant programme, first part last Thursday two more go. Compulsive watching and so good for my dad to see he is not alone in how he feels about mum being a care home. Butterfly system should be used by all zcH with dementia sufferers.

I agree with you, but last week I read somewhere that this form of 'treatment' is controversial, cannot imagine or see why!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I wonder how many like me have no idea what zcH means ????

I'm number 2 in line with no idea, only seen it twice on this forum, made a few guesses, but they don't fit and why is it zcH [capital H only].

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I'm number 2 in line with no idea, only seen it twice on this forum, made a few guesses, but they don't fit and why is it zcH [capital H only].

I suspect that whoever typed it went to press the shift key to make a capital "c", missed it and pressed the z.
Its the only explanation I can think of.

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
Dementiaville - Episode 3 - Thursday 18th June at 11.00pm

Four wives embark on emotional journey's to build new memories with their husbands who suffer from dementia.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Dementiaville - Episode 3 - Thursday 18th June at 11.00pm

Four wives embark on emotional journey's to build new memories with their husbands who suffer from dementia.

That'll be interesting. Building new memories? I can understand giving the person lots of new experiences but not building new memories. I'll need to watch it.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I sort of understood it as building new memories for themselves (the carers), so they don't just hanker after old times but see that they can still do things together.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I almost missed last night’s Dementiaville programme (Thurs 18 June) but managed to catch the last half hour or so. Perhaps due to it being on at a later time.

I found it deeply moving, and many of us here would relate to the wives. I shed tears of empathy.

The young blond woman had great understanding concerning the husband and wife relationship and must be a wonderful support to the wives. I wish there were more like her.

Also wish we could have made the most of our time together but my husband lost all interest in doing things together some years before he went into a care home 4 years ago. I tried but he'd say he didn't want to go out and "Why would we want to do that? to whatever I suggested or tried to coax him to do.

Unfortunately I missed last week’s as my daughter was on a rare visit from ‘up north’ and I completely forgot about the programme. :( A pity as I think she would have been interested. She cannot often get down for a visit so is less 'involved' concerning dementia, her Dad's progression, my situation, than she would be if living nearer to us.

Will see if I can catch last week's episode online...

Loo x