New here and need advice about medication and carers

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Deb, about the struggle over the carers--I've seen others on here post about having a similar issue. Maybe one of them will respond to you, but one tip I've seen involves somehow convincing the person with dementia that they are doing the carers a favor by "allowing" them to come and work. Sometimes this involves a story about how they need the money, or they need the training, or something bad will happen to them if they can't work at your house, or that they are free, or some combination of the above. Maybe there is an approach in there that could work.

I'm glad you got a sympathetic ear from the bank person!

mousehold

Mar 25, 2015
Norfolk
I have to write this ..

If only I had known at the time, several years ago, that all these things were normal. I just cannot explain how much I agree with the 'beating yourself up' sentiments. I am still doing it now that she is in a care home. I feel I failed to keep her at home after 5 years of running her life so she could stay at home till she got too bad. It seems to be something like we feel responsible for the things that come with the illness and we never pat ourselves on the back saying 'you're great for all the things you're doing to help this person, no one else would bother'.

The whole disease is exhausting physically and more so mentally. I have learnt so much from it though about what really matters in life. But I feel wrecked and so sad for her suffering I just don't know what to do with these feelings. This forum is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976