Fall alert buzzer

claireizz

Jun 1, 2014
I have been told that there is an alert type thing that you wear as a pendant or watch and that goes off if it's notices an impact like a fall. Not the type of pendent that they press if they have a fall as my nan does not think to do this, but that automatically senses it and goes off. The one I was told about calls a call centre who then call the numbers on a list but there is a cost for this. Does anyone know of one that is just a one off cost and does not call a centre but goes straight to the list?

claireizz

Jun 1, 2014
Apparently social services might cover the cost of they do an assessment and think it would be a good idea...

magic800

Dec 11, 2014
My Aunt has had the wrist fall sensor which was given to her by social services following a stay in hospital, she has had two more falls while she was wearing the sensor and it has not gone off. Her carers found her on the floor each time. The first time I thought she may have fallen coming through the kitchen door and maybe her wrist didn't actually hit the floor but her next fall was in the bathroom so I don't know why that did not trigger the alarm especially as the paramedics triggered it off by removing it from her and dropping it on the kitchen worktop!!

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
I have been told that there is an alert type thing that you wear as a pendant or watch and that goes off if it's notices an impact like a fall. Not the type of pendent that they press if they have a fall as my nan does not think to do this, but that automatically senses it and goes off. The one I was told about calls a call centre who then call the numbers on a list but there is a cost for this. Does anyone know of one that is just a one off cost and does not call a centre but goes straight to the list?

Hi!
Yes the wrist one was our third alarm..my dad has dlb and falls out of bed and generally.
It goes of it sensors a fall..it can also cancel itself if they sit up or it senses a person making getting up motion moves..

It can be pressed also by hand my dads has gone off being accidentally set off. They ring via the box or phone. Ive insisted they speak to fam member before cancelling call..
It is s service thats sn increase in cost..and a financial assessment dictates whether you get it cheaper..its £5.57 a week ish..
Its like a plastic alien ship on a strap..
The next step is pressure alarms that dictate when their body leaves the bed etc. Also door alarms flood alarms etc.
I rang social services for alarms.
There are all sorts.

My dads phone alarm goes straight to list..but that doesnt have fall sensor but if it is set off its then handsfree.

I think most falls alarms would notify a centre..but there might be something on the web..

Best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
A friend has a fall sensor that in the event of a fall sends alarms to people he has nominated and advises his location. If he fails to answer his phone, then they are to call an ambulance for him. He is elderly, has not been diagnosed with any form of dementia but shows many behaviors that suggest to me that he has problems.

The theory behind this sensor is great but this gentleman often leaves the sensor on a bench, table, car seat where it gets knocked to the floor triggering false alarms. He also often turns off his phone so if the sensor goes off, he doesn't answer the phone and there have been a couple of occasions when an ambulance was called unnecessarily.

He lives on his own but within a retirement village and won't ask for help. He tries to change the settings/phone numbers on the sensor and messes it up so a family member has to make an additional visit to fix it and then he gets grumpy and says they are interfering.

If you can find one to suit your situation, it would be brilliant but you just need to be aware that it might not be plain sailing no matter which one you get. Do your research thoroughly before you buy.

Good luck.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
My Aunt has had the wrist fall sensor which was given to her by social services following a stay in hospital, she has had two more falls while she was wearing the sensor and it has not gone off. Her carers found her on the floor each time. The first time I thought she may have fallen coming through the kitchen door and maybe her wrist didn't actually hit the floor but her next fall was in the bathroom so I don't know why that did not trigger the alarm especially as the paramedics triggered it off by removing it from her and dropping it on the kitchen worktop!!

Just to say that exactly the same thing happened when my mum fell in the bathroom wearing her fall sensor wrist alarm. I asked the Carelink centre why it hadn't triggered, but the only thing they could suggest was that if you 'slump' down rather than falling hard from a height the sensor may not hit the floor or may not hit it hard enough.

Mum did not lose consciousness but could not remember that she could press the button for help so it was the morning carer who found her on the floor. This was the incident that ultimately led to her moving into residential care.

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
We had the same problem with mum, the falls sensor had stopped working, I had to throw it at the wall to make it go off. Her bed sensor was supposed to trigger if she was out of bed for longer than 20 minutes also failed to trigger because mum had switched off the socket which powered her lamp and the falls alarm as she couldn't find the lamp switch. The second time she fell in the early hours of the morning the bed sensor just didn't trigger and no-one knew why. Assistive technology, like any technology, can be expected to not work when really needed. I've worked in IT for over 30 years and anything that's only required to work at a specific point (stand by power supplies, cut in back up disks etc) seem to fall over at the critical point!

claireizz

Jun 1, 2014
Thank you for all your comments. If she falls she tends to fall hard so I think I am going to give it a go...will let you know how I get on.