So bizarre !

Il Gufo

Feb 27, 2013
You deserve a medal Ann!

As I said yesterday, haven't posted on here since a few days after I lost my lovely Mum in January (and then when I did post yesterday it was a mini novel about her funeral - think I got carried away). Anyway Ann, I just want to send you big hugs and tell you how much I admire your strength in dealing with all your problems. Have only read last few pages of your thread - and I'm exhausted just reading about what you have to cope with every day! Just one of your problems, MIL, arthritis, what sounds like less than helpful OH (forgive me if I've got that wrong), would be a challenge. Combined they sound unmanageable to say the least. But somehow you are more than managing. You deserve a bloomin' medal!!!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks Il Gufo - OH does help - its just that I don't think he always 'gets' every aspect, particularly around the personal care and the effect of long periods solo with Mil. I'm not shy baout giving him the details though, lol!

No idea, GL - some days I feel like I simply can't sustain this indefinitely, others - yep, hard work and I'm frustrated and tired, but feel that I'm coping pretty well anyway and it dosen't feel so daunting. Last night it was the sheer sadness and pity that I think wore me out. And that was also one of those evenings where I know that she is better off here with us - because I doubt, without she qualified for one to one care (extremely unlikely), that in residential any staff would have the amount of time free to spend on reassuring and comforting her. Not because they wouldn't want to, but simply because economics wouldn't allow for it. I can't say I made her 'happy' last night - but I do know that what I did do to try and distract and reassure her almost certainly helped, even if only a little bit.

Bed absolutely soaking - pull ups on and drenched too. She actually said to me that she woke herself up when she started to wee, and put the pull ups on then - no idea how much of that is true :( She'd tried to strip off the wet bedding, and has ripped the waterproof mattress topper - beyond repair, which leaves me with just 2 to rotate. They are really expensive, but stop the discomfort caused by lying on just the plain plastic of the mattress cover, with only a sheet over it , so I will have to replace it. No sign of cellulitis flaring up, no smell of urgent need for the loo, no cough or rattle in her chest - and no constipation, either. Will just have to keep an eye - she's full of woe, this morning, saying she feels funny, and its not fair because she is sure she book a days holiday today. Little Miss Doom and Gloom, I'm afraid!

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hi Ann a simple question here. How long do you think you will be able to keep all this up?

Not looking forward to your post saying you're broken and in crisis..... But it seems to me.... You're nearly there..... broken and in crisis.....

5 people in your home ann not just one......

Hugs xxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Not looking forward to your post saying you're broken and in crisis..... But it seems to me.... You're nearly there..... broken and in crisis.....

5 people in your home ann not just one......

Hugs xxxxxx

I'm not 2jays - honest :) Tired most of the time, frustrated and stressed some of the time, but not broken or in crisis, not yet xxxxx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Please don't let yourself get to crisis point my lovely.

I won't, hun - I have everything in place for emergency respite/permenant care - IF its needed - and just knowing that really helps. Now that we know that she can cope with respite, knowing that we can have breaks when we need them helps too. I've got a safety net in place, in effect - that knowledge makes a big difference xxxx

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I won't, hun - I have everything in place for emergency respite/permenant care - IF its needed - and just knowing that really helps. Now that we know that she can cope with respite, knowing that we can have breaks when we need them helps too. I've got a safety net in place, in effect - that knowledge makes a big difference xxxx

Good.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs

Sounds like you have an insurance policy there that should be a part of all Care Plans.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Sounds like you have an insurance policy there that should be a part of all Care Plans.

I wish the ability to have things like that in place IF needed was more available - I've read on TP of people desperate for respite, or desperate for a permenant placement and the sheer grief and hassle they have had to go through - I'm particularly disgusted by accounts I've read of carers knowing that they can't cope any more and then having to battle Social Workers or doctors who insist that home visits are enough, or that the person being cared for must have a say - when its clear that they are well beyond having the capacity to understand just how much support they need. I know I'm lucky - every time a place comes up, its offered to us. We are constantly reassured by day care - which is run from an EMI home - that if we are struggling, they will help by having her longer days and will make her a priority for an emergency bed if we need it. We have a great CPN and SW team here, who I have full confidence in and who i know will also pull out the stops to help. Compared to a massive amount of carers that i read about on TP, I have a wealth of support on hand - and I so appreciate it x

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Please don't let yourself get to crisis point my lovely.

It can creep up on you, and BAM!! There it is..... Crisis point....as I know only too well....

So I'm glad to hear you have everything in place and good support.... just in case.... xxxxx

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
God Ann, hope things are better today. You've probably already thought of this and investigated. Is she getting too much stimulation at day care? Do you know what I mean? not very good at explaining myself, but when mum has had a busy day, I just can't calm her down, the connections she makes with what she has seen or heard through the day are truly strange. Probably talking out of my hat, but thought I'd throw it in there!!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning,
Forgot to say yesterday that OH was losing more words than usual, and some things were incomprehensible. And so it proceeds down it's horrible path!

Ann, well you know what I think! So I wont go on, but whoever said it can creep up was right, though it's sometimes overnight.

Got a relatives meeting at care home ( sorry, care centre!) tonight. I have no idea what happens. May I complain the every day O
H has more haematomas on his hand and wrists? They're not so big these day, ( change of medication) but much, much more frequent.

I am sitting here trying to change DDs to my account and apply for TV licence etc ( when did I first watch TV, well I was about 6 when parents first had TV!) and I can't find an appropriate phone number either. Sewage company was going to ring me back, they're 30 mins later than max time they gave me!

Heaven help me, I will be raging by the time I've got this done!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I wish the ability to have things like that in place IF needed was more available - I've read on TP of people desperate for respite, or desperate for a permenant placement and the sheer grief and hassle they have had to go through - I'm particularly disgusted by accounts I've read of carers knowing that they can't cope any more and then having to battle Social Workers or doctors who insist that home visits are enough, or that the person being cared for must have a say - when its clear that they are well beyond having the capacity to understand just how much support they need. I know I'm lucky - every time a place comes up, its offered to us. We are constantly reassured by day care - which is run from an EMI home - that if we are struggling, they will help by having her longer days and will make her a priority for an emergency bed if we need it. We have a great CPN and SW team here, who I have full confidence in and who i know will also pull out the stops to help. Compared to a massive amount of carers that i read about on TP, I have a wealth of support on hand - and I so appreciate it x

Phew! I'm glad you have everything covered. When I read your post early this morning I was just so concerned for everyone in your household. Last night sounded such a difficult evening.

Love

Lyn T XX

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Ann (apologies in advance if this offends anyone on TP),

Have you ever recorded MiL when she is ranting ? Especially when she is accusing you of xyz

I was at crisis point , and when husband became more verbal and violent with me,
I chose to record him (audio / mobile) .... threatening to kill me...
He told me how he was going to do it (when I least expected it / several ways )....

I don't think the SW worker believed me ... or thought I might be exaggerating...
to try and force a respite situation, that they were not giving me.

Thing is.... there was only me and husband at home most of the time..
My word against his.... and the SW always chose to believe my husband not me :(

I needed evidence / proof .... that I was telling the truth....

Does the CPN know about these accusations? Will they support you?

Have you thought about a Hospital type bed.... with the foam covered mattress?
I know these are not the most comfortable option....

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I am raging because of the cool assumption that, as OH now in care, I don't do anything for him! I spat out that I spent all morning attending to his finances and would she like me to work out how many times I visit and end up feeding him. How can someone who works for crossroads be so ignorant!

Like your idea, Grace. Why do professionals prefer to believe the diagnosed person rather than the carer. Cynical me says money might be one of the reasons!

Red, how are you?

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
I'm okay, thanks, Spamar. Just want to get home now.
Following you all - boiling with indignation on all your behalf's, concerned for Ann. Magazine wants my feature, though no deadline as yet.
As you can see - I'm 'in haste!' Got to go pick up death certificates if they're ready. Just been told by someone else I haven't ordered enough because all the banks will want an original. Of course they will. Why make something easy for a carer when the powers-that-be can make it difficult, eh?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
God Ann, hope things are better today. You've probably already thought of this and investigated. Is she getting too much stimulation at day care? Do you know what I mean? not very good at explaining myself, but when mum has had a busy day, I just can't calm her down, the connections she makes with what she has seen or heard through the day are truly strange. Probably talking out of my hat, but thought I'd throw it in there!!

Great minds, Tin - I've wondered that myself!

As far as I can make out, Mil choses to spend her day in the main section of the home, rather than in the day care unit - she sometimes spends time with a damp cloth, going over the tables, she will maybe fold tea towels and maybe help put flowers into little vases - same sort of 'little' jobs she will sometimes do here at home. So, she isn't involved with the activities in the day care unit hardly at all. In the main home, there is entertainment of some sort once or twice a week, though she often choses to go sit in one of the other lounges rather than watch or take part. Now and again she goes out for a coffee to a cafe with several others. On Tuesdays she has singing for the brain and the hairdresser calls once a fortnight on that day too. But, most of the time, I'm told she tends to sit, often snoozing or sometimes chatting to staff or residents, though she does tend to move from lounge to lounge throughout the day. I don't think that there is a massive amount there to over stimulate her - but who knows? I do know that there are two 'difficult' residents there, that she tends to clash with - I was really shocked the first time I heard the way that she spoke to them, and vice versa - but from the staff reaction, its not an unusual occurence. I have wondered if on days when she is very agitated, if she has perhaps had more than the usual number of run-ins with either of those two residents?

Yep, I promise 2jays and Lynn - I have thought through the 'worst case' scenario and tried to prepare so that I have something in place before things hit melt down xxxx

Spamar, Mil is constantly covered in dreadful bruises, mainly on her hands but also up her arms. I've worked out that a lot of it with her is caused by her gripping one hand with the other to try and stop the shaking - but with others, I've watched her just slightly mis-judge a doorway and give herslef what ou would think would be the tiniest of bumps - then seen the massive bruise that develops as a result :( If you are concerned, just could phrase it that you know how easy he bruises, but ask could a note be kept by staff if they spot how he is doing it? Being asked to record specific instances of something can make staff be a lot more careful!

Just seen your last post - Absolutely disgusted that someone from a so called support agency could be so stupid and uninformed! I've had similar comments from 'aquaintences' over Mil being in day care 5 days a week - what they don't know is that a lot of the time she is there, I too am sorting paperwork and finance, cleaning up after her (washing/ironing/checking her room for hidden 'delights'!) or like this morning, nearly 2 hours spent picking up things she needs from various shops. I hope to goodness they listened when you put them straight!

I did film her once, in the early days pre-meds, Grace - I just did it so that if when we did see the consultant and she pulled her then usual convincing trick of appearing quite calm and rational, I'd have some back up - the difference between the two behaviours was so pronounced that I don't think I would have believed an account of it without some sort of proof! Although they don't seem to get what we get in day care, I think that there are enough 'flashes' of awkwardness for them to realise how bad she can get.

Red, Hun - I can't blame you for just wanting to get home - I bet you are exhausted! Its so stupid how they can make you jump through hoops over things like 'original' death certificates :( Where on earth is compassion and consideration at what is obviously a difficult enought time?

Not a brilliant morning for Poor Old Mil - continuous fretting from the moment she came downstairs, worried about getting to college on time, worried about the weather, the trains running late, what about the roadworks? After brekkie and having her hair done, she went to sit on the sofa and the tears started - what was she going to do? Her bag was lost, and her shoes, she had been looking for them for the 'last two hours since I got up' - she hadn't, obviously, this was the first time they had been mentioned and she certainly hadn't 'looked high and low' as she was insisting. They were in the usual place, but this business of crying about something before there is any need is so frustrating.

Once she had gone, I went down to DLS and bought 2 new mattress toppers, some even more absorbant pull ups and some extra absorbant pads for the netties that the continence clinic have sent. I also bought yet more wipes, more gel, two more pillows (I've had to yet again wash the 2 from last night, because again, she had stripped off the cases and put the pillows over part of the wet patch, and they are on their last legs), more spray cleaner and more air freshener for her room. Nearly £100, gone - just like that! She can afford it, I know, but my blood boils at how much they charge for these essential products - she will, if they work, start getting some of the pads/pull ups from the continence clinic - but those orders can only be changed every 3 months, so till then, she will have to 'stump up'. We're also thinking about disposable kylies - simply to cut down on the washing - but the cost is astronomical, and if she gets night time pads/protection from the clinic, she will not get kylies as well.

I'm now puzzling as to where I'm going to store all her pads - the packs for the netty pads are blooming huge! This house is turning into a flipping care home with all the stuff she needs!

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Ann.....
I hope its OK to post this (sorry Mods, if it is not) ...

I've found a company , ( I have no idea what they are like ) that sells waterproof mattresses.

www.furniture247.co.uk hospital grade waterproof mattresses

(I'm never sure, here on TP if we are allowed to post websites , without really knowing them) :confused:

It looks ideal, and wish I had one when my husband were alive.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Ann, no idea how you do it, you definitely deserve a vacation and a medal, in that order!

Spamar, your comment about being so upset because of idiotic people assuming you are no longer a carer and that you do nothing, really resonated with me. I must admit that as I type, I am looking at the pile of paperwork on my desk and have just dodged a call from the insurance company-they can leave a message on the voicemail-so perhaps it's just the timing.

WE know how hard you work. Don't let them get you down!!!

RedLou, how is the cleaning and sorting going at your dad's? Sorry if I've missed a post.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti