Digital clock

Notenoughsleep

May 25, 2015
Wales
My Nan has vascular dementia and gets very confused as to what time it is, and what date. I have looked online for digital clocks with large figures that display both the date and time but they are either £70+ or have the date in the American format of year first. Can anyone recommend a clock and perhaps also send a link? Thanks so much!

Hi,
Bought mine second hand from eBay for £36 - there's one or two there at moment starting £25. Commonly called the Grayson clock. Brilliant, although my mam often tells me there's something wrong with it "as it says it's Tuesday" when it is Tuesday!:)
good luck!

Hibni

Sep 16, 2013
Have you by any chance got an old laptop or know someone who could give you one? I have an old laptop running 24/7 in my mother's bedroom and it displays day, date and time. I use a program called hugeclock that you can find by searching on Google. It's shareware, so you can use it for nothing, which I did for about a year and then decided that as it was so useful I would pay the $10 that was requested.

lavenderblue

Nov 2, 2014
UK
I've just bought the Dayclox Digital Calendar Clock from http://www.helpfulthings.co.uk/ selecting for no VAT, for my elderly mum.

Very clear day and time; option for 24 hour or 12 hour (which displays am or pm after the time). Date can be set for British or American style, ie

3, June 2015 or
June 3, 2015.

These are not radio controlled clocks so it will need adjusting manually in October. Between 7pm and 7am, the very clear white lettering dims to a bluish/grey so the clock is not quite so bright if being used in a bedroom. It is mains operated, but if there is a power cut or if the adapter is inadvertently switched off or if it needs moving to another room, an internal battery retains the settings and the time in the background and the day, time and date come back on, correctly, once the clock is switched back on again.

These are expensive clocks, but it was bought as a special birthday present and my mother, who is finding it hard to keep track of days, is really delighted with it.

On Friday, I paid £49.99 (no VAT) plus postage (came 1st class signed for).

Note that the illustration on the website shows the earlier model. The latest version, which I received, has a comma after the date whether it is set for British or US date style. Also the size of the text for the date, month and year seems a little larger in the newer version (i8.1) that I received.

Last edited:

lavenderblue

Nov 2, 2014
UK
Meant to add, that if you buy direct from the manufacturer, there is a model available with yellow lettering on black and also a choice of screen frame surrounds.

There is also a model with a line out for displaying on a monitor screen or TV screen for use in hospitals, care homes etc.

Empath

Jun 3, 2015
I know what you mean, the prices are very high. Especially for something that may or may not be useful.

Like someone else mentioned, I made one using a digital photo frame. Does the job very well.

Someone else very helpfully has a guide on their blog (and the files you'll need). I used a cheap frame from tesco for mine.

Oh, apparently I can't post links yet. But if you want the link, just pm me.

Otherwise, Google 'dementia day clock' it'll be on the first page

lavenderblue

Nov 2, 2014
UK
I bought this and was told I didn't have to pay vat as anyone with dementia can get certain things vat free so it was £59 and was just the job!
http://www.alzproducts.co.uk/DC-i8.1.html?gclid=CI6vlYmO98UCFZMZtAod0nsAoQ

This is the same clock that I bought, last week, for my mother. It is currently £49.99 with the "No Vat" option (plus p&p) which was the best price I could find, last week.

I had it sent to my address in case it needed adjusting. The default setting was for 24 hour mode, so this needed changing to 12 hour mode, as my mum does not like 24 hour clocks. It also needed adjusting for BST before sending on to my mum.

When I phoned her, yesterday, it was the first time for months that she hasn't asked me several times during a phone call "What day is it today?" She says it's the best present she could have been given and she's "chuffed to bits" with it.

So although it was expensive, if it helps to keep her better orientated for day of the week (and she occasionally loses track of what time of day it is, too) I'll consider it worth it.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Day, Date, Month

It really is worth getting a day, date, month clock and use this in combination with a Mon - Sun labelled dosette box for medication. This enables my father to take his tablet regularly. He can see its Tuesday, he can check on the clock if its Tuesday. o tablet in box...he's taken it.

Even though he lives with us with people coming and going you can miss whether he has done it or not and now I don't have endless questions to answer during breakfast about whether he has taken it or not.

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
I just got one of these clocks last week after reading this thread have been meaning to get one for ages. As her friend was there when I took it on Friday it was wonderful. Day after when my OH went it was horrible She doesn't think she likes it. She said she can't really tell the time properly as it is to small. OH said she could still use the wall clock for telling the time!!
She kept telling him it was 6 o'clock & he kept telling her that that was the date. Was just wondering how long it took others carees to get used to it?

She was in a complete loop with it & OH couldn't distract her (not that he is very good at that anyway)

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I just got one of these clocks last week after reading this thread have been meaning to get one for ages. As her friend was there when I took it on Friday it was wonderful. Day after when my OH went it was horrible She doesn't think she likes it. She said she can't really tell the time properly as it is to small. OH said she could still use the wall clock for telling the time!!
She kept telling him it was 6 o'clock & he kept telling her that that was the date. Was just wondering how long it took others carees to get used to it?

She was in a complete loop with it & OH couldn't distract her (not that he is very good at that anyway)

Lizzybean, it may be a question of timing it right? ( Sorry about the terrible pun :eek:)

Mum loved hers immediately, but that was maybe 15 months ago. I don't think she could learn to understand it now. For example I got her a new fan as its like a sauna in her flat. She insists it's a heater and can't switch it on or off anyway.

I hope your Mil does get used to the clock. We've found it a godsend for helping mum keep some idea of the days.....she was also very proud of it when it came.

All the best :)

Lindy xx

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Thanks Lindy, was hoping to hear from you. I will give it some time & if it is still causing confusion I may cover up the clock & date & just leave the day there???

Who knows if that will work but you've gotta try haven't you?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum uses a day clock that a friend of mine has devised from a digital photo frame. Mum likes it because you can program it with appropriate pictures during the day to give a visual clue as what will be happening.
http://sussexrokx.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/day-clock-for-people-with-dementia.html
This might be the link that someone else on here tried to post. The only way Im connected to this is that he is a friend of mine, so I hope its OK to post it.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I chose the one I got because it was an analogue clock, with a large day and date (she doesn't understand the need to wear her glasses all the time :rolleyes:). My mum by then was very anti anything that resembled the modern digital age - reverting to an analogue watch. She absolutely loves it and used it straight away and if she is at mine actually glances in the direction the clock would be at hers to work out the day and date. She doesn't know in advance when birthdays are but does when it is the right date. Other things I have produced haven't worked as she can't learn something new. I think there is only a window when this will work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet