Recliner Chairs

sonia owen

Hi All,

Have been looking at these kind of chairs for our mum. She suffer bitterly with swollen ankles due to poor circulation. She as had an increase dosage of the water tablet that she has taken for many years. This now has to be monitored with blood tests every few months.
Thanks
Sonia

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have a word with the OT.

It can be dangerous if the person does not understand how to use the chair and does things like trying to stand up when it's in the wrong position or moving.

Not all chairs can be used with pressure cushions.

Last edited:

gele

Mar 22, 2015
rochdale area
I agree with Nitram,

The rise and recline chairs are great if the person needs help to stand and can walk ok or just wants feet raised without having to mess with a footstool.
However there are downsides
Firstly if your mum is liable to play around with the remote to get herself out of the chair when its not safe to do so it could be very dangerous. My dad has one which was great initially but not now. And its true re pressure cushions. Some aren't suitable. It all depends on your mums condition

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
Hi All,

Have been looking at these kind of chairs for our mum. She suffer bitterly with swollen ankles due to poor circulation. She as had an increase dosage of the water tablet that she has taken for many years. This now has to be monitored with blood tests every few months.
Thanks
Sonia

My mum had one of these riser recliners which was fine before she had dementia but she forgot how to use the remote due to her dementia. Although it was expensive when I sat in it I thought how uncomfortable it was. The can also be dangerous if you have pets who sometimes go under chairs.

You can also have these riser recliners on loan from the OT if you want to see how your mum gets on with it and keep it for as long as you need, if it's not right for your mum OT can arrange for it to be collected.

Last edited:

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
Recliner cchairs.

hi all,

have been looking at these kind of chairs for our mum. She suffer bitterly with swollen ankles due to poor circulation. She as had an increase dosage of the water tablet that she has taken for many years. This now has to be monitored with blood tests every few months.
Thanks
sonia

hi when i was working . My job was to repair recliner chairs. If you are going to get one get one that dose all of the work up lift so there can stand up . Dot go chipe go for the best .

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hello sonia

As already mentioned by other members
I think it is necessary to consider a few facts before buying a recliner chair
My first reaction would be to advice you not to purchase one if your mother is in an advanced stage of AD
I have a riser recliner and have used them, both in hospital and at home .for several years
My late wife had AD and I know for certain that she would not have been able to cope with either the mechanical or electric controls
The controls are not all that complicated in an electric riser recliner there are just 4 buttons, ( 2 for up 2 for down ) , but it can get rather confusing if you happen to press the wrong button and need to return to your original position
You mention your mothers problems with swollen legs and taking water tablets
I have an acute urinary problem ( but I do not suffer with Dementia ))and I can say for certain that although the recliner is comfortable and helps to control the problem of swollen legs , it is a disadvantage if you want to leave the chair hurriedly ( for any reason )
and you need to be careful that the chair has completely rested on the floor before getting up , there is a temptation to get out of the chair if the reason is urgent and although it stops when you release the button, if you are not all that great with your mobility , you can have a ’tumble ’ which I have done several times
If your mother is mainly on her own and suffers with AD , with the knowledge of my own experience I would seriously consider the inherent dangers
jimbo

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Getting hold of a riser chair

Fil non dementia , more and more immobile cannot get out of a chair without help. Currently have a raising gadget which has got him sitting higher but think a riser would be more use.
Have tried a couple of local places without fail, contact OT again ?