Advise about my dad

xarus76

May 27, 2015
Good morning.

My dad is 72 years old. Since more than one year he is experiencing several symptoms which are typical of a dementia condition like Alzheimer although he does not have some others that are as well important for such a diagnosis. He is being checked by a neurologist and psychologist but it would help me if someone has experienced similar cases and can provide good advises.

The main symptoms are:
- loss of short term memory: sometimes he asks the same question that he has asked a few minutes before
- he does not participate to conversations, he is very passive for example when we seat around the table with relatives or friends
- he says that sometimes he knows well the word for something but he cannot simply say it
- he says that he prefers to stay home because he is afraid that people will ask him questions and then he will not be able to reply
- sometimes he starts telling a story but he cannot complete it
- very often he puts his hands on his head and/or face to cover them and does nothing but rubbing his head/face
- sometimes you ask him why he wants to do something and he replies "I don't know, I don't have anything to say"

He has no problems with walking or recognizing people or finding the way home.

He had a major heart problem some years ago an he takes quite a lot of medicines, so maybe this plays also a role.

I don't know whether he has first symptoms of Alzheimer or if he has a serious form of depression (or both).

If some of you has experienced a similar situation, would be great if you could share some good advices or tips.

Thanks a lot!

Mike

Last edited:

Dunkers58

Nov 9, 2013
Hampshire
Hello.

I am sure there are many people on here who will recognise some of the symptoms. the first two certainly with my mother. Your dad needs a proper asessment so it is good you have some appointments in place. It is impossible to say which signs/ symptoms any one person will display. Clearly your Dad seems to realise there is problem and is quite naturally frightened by it. As you say he may also be depressed.
I hope some others come along and offer advice.
best wishes

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
I'm sorry, I wish I could give you some useful advice, but I just wanted you to know that this sounds a lot like my dad. And my dad also has heart problems (triple by-pass 11 years ago) and is on many medications for it. Whether the two are related or not, I don't know.

As hard as it is sometimes, I quickly got used to having to repeat myself, sometimes over and over, day after day. I do hope you get answers from the assessments that your dad is going through, which will help you all to deal with the situation.

Best wishes :)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It may or may not be dementia. There are several things that can cause dementia-like symptoms. Im glad he is seeing a neurologist and hope they get to the bottom of this problem soon.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Mum had a triple heart bipass 20 years ago and has been on blood pressure tablets ever since. She started exhibiting the symptoms you mention above about 2 years ago. She is now mid-stage Vascular Dementia, although when she was diagnosed they did say it was mixed Vascular and Alzheimer's. So it's possible your Dad might be the same. I suspect the neurologist will refer your Dad for a CT and/or MRI scan which will reveal if it is Vascular Dementia.

The best advice I can give to you Mike is to arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can. You or another family member need to go to the appointments with your Dad and ask ask ask loads of questions. Write them down beforehand because it can be a bit overwhelming and I find I always forget something if I haven't made a note of it. Phone up your local Age UK who can give you loads of help and advice.

Don't be afraid to question the doctors and NHS professionals either. They're not always right! And don't be afraid to protest if you feel you're not getting the help and support you need, your Dad is entitled to it and so are you.