Fluoxetine

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Just spoken to mum's consultant and because we cannot increase Mirtazapine, increases her urge to move and wander in and out of the house all the time all day long. He wants to try 20 mg Fluoxetine. Anyone have a positive use with this one? He claims it may also help with mum's overly obsessive behaviour about certain things and people, if it works!!!

Any feedback much appreciated.

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
Not very helpful I'm afraid but my husband was prescribed Fluoextine & had a very bad reaction to it very quickly so I cant say anything positive.
Obviously everybody is very different but this is my experience

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ive taken fluoxetine several times over the years and each time found it extremely helpful - it my anti-D of choice.

So there you are - some people find it helpful and others dont. Give it a try and see.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It has to be tried, mum definitely needs something, she just seems down and tearful most days , full of self pity and oh my gods.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Yes I tried it too. It certainly lifted my spirits. I must admit I did get a little "high" on it at times. I found citalopram more helpful but I would certainly give it a go and see what happens. It took me about 10 days to start feeling the benefits. That's worth baring in mind x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Thanks fellow tpers. Citalopram was the 1st anti depressant we tried in April 2014 for 2 weeks, but it didn't help mum at all, that was a year ago and maybe things have changed. So if this one doesn't work I guess we will be revisiting old ground and medication.

We pick up new pills tomorrow so fingers crossed, its so worrying because we have had so many bad days, recently they have been hard to handle and nothing I do seems right. Of course I could be expecting way too much from medication, but what else do we have!!

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. Fluoxetine (Prozac) was the only anti D that helped my mum and believe me over the course of many many months we tried loads.

Our GP couldn't understand why none of the others helped or made mum worse also all the ones she prescribed were SSRIs so all worked in the same way, it really had her puzzled.
When we spoke to mums psychiatric consultant, he explained that when their were problems with the brain like Dementia, anything that worked on the brain may not work as expected .

With my mum soon after she started on Prozac, she became hyper in a nice way Laughing and giggling at everything , this went on for around two weeks and gradually reduced over the third week after that mum was fine and in a much better place in herself .

Sadly it very much trial and error. I do hope it works as well for your Mum as it did mine .

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Mum has been on fluoxetine for two years now, it has definitely taken the "edge" off her everyday eruptions.
Here's hoping for the best for you and your mum.

Thank you, I really hope so. Its so distressing to see my mum like this, she is in a bad place at the moment.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Hi. Fluoxetine (Prozac) was the only anti D that helped my mum and believe me over the course of many many months we tried loads.

Our GP couldn't understand why none of the others helped or made mum worse also all the ones she prescribed were SSRIs so all worked in the same way, it really had her puzzled.
When we spoke to mums psychiatric consultant, he explained that when their were problems with the brain like Dementia, anything that worked on the brain may not work as expected .

With my mum soon after she started on Prozac, she became hyper in a nice way Laughing and giggling at everything , this went on for around two weeks and gradually reduced over the third week after that mum was fine and in a much better place in herself .

Sadly it very much trial and error. I do hope it works as well for your Mum as it did mine .

This is more or less what the consultant has said to me, think we are going to start with 20mg taken in the morning. Hoping to pick up from surgery today.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Just thought I'd let you know that new anti depressant has worked well for mum, started taking 20mg per day on 18th March and so far so good. Don't want to jinx it, but most of her anxiety has gone, wandering has stopped although she does still open and close front door, never goes beyond the garden gate and its not all day long. I think she has even got some normal concentration back at least when we are watching tv. She is sleeping better too, after a short time of playing with the Velcro on her boots that is.

lesley1958

Mar 24, 2015
Bristol
Just to say that I too am on fluoextine and have had no problems. Sadly it is not helping enormously at the current stage of my father's dementia but in slightly easier times I think it has been very helpful.

So glad to hear you have found something that helps a bit.

lobbyobrien100

Apr 6, 2015
New to the Forum and have found a lot of useful advice with having a mum with mixed dementia. Great to know that I am not alone in all this. Mum was put on Fluoxetine just over six months ago and I feel that this has helped most of the time with her anxiety etc. I am sure she would be worse if not on it. Think it, like most medicines, perform differently with everyone.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
New to the Forum and have found a lot of useful advice with having a mum with mixed dementia. Great to know that I am not alone in all this. Mum was put on Fluoxetine just over six months ago and I feel that this has helped most of the time with her anxiety etc. I am sure she would be worse if not on it. Think it, like most medicines, perform differently with everyone.

Mum now been taking Fluoxetine for just over 2 months and all well so far. I am just pleased we have found something that helps ease some of her anxiety and giving us both much quieter nights.

Lisa74

May 27, 2011
I don't have any dementia+anti-depressant experience but I took a small dose of Fluoxetine for OCD and Depression a few years ago and felt awful.

The side effects I had were:

- Irritability
- Shaking uncontrollably
- Nausea (I think I would have thrown-up if I hadn't taken an anti-emetic)
- Nightmares in which I jumped from cliffs!
- Increased blood pressure

My uncle would like my Gran to take an anti-depressant but having felt so bad on Fluoxetine myself I'm unsure about Granny taking one.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I don't have any dementia+anti-depressant experience but I took a small dose of Fluoxetine for OCD and Depression a few years ago and felt awful.

The side effects I had were:

- Irritability
- Shaking uncontrollably
- Nausea (I think I would have thrown-up if I hadn't taken an anti-emetic)
- Nightmares in which I jumped from cliffs!
- Increased blood pressure

My uncle would like my Gran to take an anti-depressant but having felt so bad on Fluoxetine myself I'm unsure about Granny taking one.

I know what you mean. When we started on fluoxetine mum did get a hand shake, some irritability, loss of appetite and some dizziness. It all passed in a few weeks. Not sure about blood pressure at moment. She was taking Mirtazapine a low dose, but after a year it wasn't helping much.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
We tried loads of different Anti Ds, many had no effect whatsoever others caused hallucinations.
Fluoxetine was the only one that really helped my Mum. She was hyper in a very nice way for the first week, this eased during the First and second week, then mum was fine apart from the Dementia of course.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976