Mens smart elasticated waist trousers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovetosing

Sep 15, 2013
West Midlands
Can anyone advise of where to get some smart elasticated waist mens trousers. Dad is still capable to going to the toilet himself but just being able to pull the trousers down quickly would be very helpful. I know there are various type of jogging bottoms available but he would never have worn them pre dementia so we don't really want to resort to them now if possible. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks Forum buddies.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
No connection with them but I've bought other stuff from cotton traders and it's always been good quality, I bought a pair of the Asda ones without realising what "active waistband" meant. I think if you got the right size or maybe one size up they'd go over the hips without a problem. I wear mine when we go out for a meal as they have plenty of "expansion room" if you over indulge a bit. They're only available in black at Asda, cotton traders are less formal but a bigger choice of colours.
K

http://www.cottontraders.com/pleat-front-side-elasticated-waist-trouser/invt/ac10039
http://direct.asda.com/george/mens/...-waistband-trousers/GEM294439,default,pd.html

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Cotton Traders are brilliant. Their trousers have side and or back elasticated waistbands, still have button and zip at front, but they can be pulled down quickly without messing with zip and button.

Dustycat

Jul 14, 2014
North East
I went down the jogging bottoms route but bought the jersey material type but the care home shrunk them all in the wash. Going to try cotton traders. X

sarahjg

Apr 15, 2015
I have found some in Matalan ( without elasticated ankles) which have been good for Dad.. they have been faded a bit in the wash but he is
happy with them and they are soft fabric ( he doesn't like anything scratchy)… only £8 a pair - have had problems finding others without logos on.. I know it probably doesn't really matter but just don't feel happy with him having 'California Athletes' or similar on his trousers! x

Lovetosing

Sep 15, 2013
West Midlands
Thank you all very much for responses. I knew we could rely upon you. There are certainly some suggestions worth following up. Will let you know in due course which we prefer following regular wear and laundering. :)

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
I have found some in Matalan ( without elasticated ankles) which have been good for Dad.. they have been faded a bit in the wash but he is
happy with them and they are soft fabric ( he doesn't like anything scratchy)… only £8 a pair - have had problems finding others without logos on.. I know it probably doesn't really matter but just don't feel happy with him having 'California Athletes' or similar on his trousers! x

I got these for my Dad too as he has Parkinsons. Much to my surprise he really likes them!

Originally he asked me if I could find some 'normal' trousers but with Velcro fly fastening as he didn't want anything jogging bottomsy.

So I Googled 'Men trousers velcro'.

What came up? Men's Stripper trousers you can rip off, like in The Full Monty! :eek:

Couldn't help laughing and Dad thought it was hilarious!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Just adding my 'twopenn'th' to this thread.

Back in April, when my husband had a downturn in his abilities following a UTI, I purchased some elasticated waist trousers from http://www.careclothing.co.uk

My husband has never worn joggers or jeans in his life, so it was really important for me to get something smart looking, something that would easily pass for his normal trousers - and these certainly fitted the bill.

Unfortunately he refused to wear them at the time, but I have introduced them again over the past few days because he has been really struggling with his belt.

I am pleased to say that he really likes the look and feel of them - and he looks quite relieved that they stay up without the hassle of a belt. it has also given him his dignity and confidence back as he had been having to ask me or our son and daughter to do his belt up every time he'd gone to the loo.

As a result, and with his blessing, I've now ordered some more, including some thermal ones for the winter (last year he really felt the cold quite badly).

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Lynne I got two pairs from that site and I'm very pleased with them. I chose to have a velro fastening as well and it's great. I got a nice darkish blue pair and a black pair and Bill can wear them when go to church etc and they look very smart!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I must add my story to this. A lesson for dementia Carers if you like.

OH was really short of decent trousers and, remembering this site and went to cotton traders. The assistant was ever so helpful, so I guessed at his size, he had lost a lot of weight, and took them into the home. I spoke to some of the Carers about the new trousers and left them with a note - please try these on OH, and let me know if they are the right size. If OK, I will label them, if not, I can return them.
Next day, - trousers still there. Following day, trousers disappeared, he wasn't wearing them though. One of the Carers told me she had tried them on and they looked really good. She had taken off the labels and put his initials in them.
They didn't come back from the laundry., he died a week later, and a week after that they still hadn't appeared!

Thank goodness I didn't buy two pairs straight away!

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
mens elesticated trousers

Just adding my 'twopenn'th' to this thread.

Back in April, when my husband had a downturn in his abilities following a UTI, I purchased some elasticated waist trousers from http://www.careclothing.co.uk

My husband has never worn joggers or jeans in his life, so it was really important for me to get something smart looking, something that would easily pass for his normal trousers - and these certainly fitted the bill.

Unfortunately he refused to wear them at the time, but I have introduced them again over the past few days because he has been really struggling with his belt.

I am pleased to say that he really likes the look and feel of them - and he looks quite relieved that they stay up without the hassle of a belt. it has also given him his dignity and confidence back as he had been having to ask me or our son and daughter to do his belt up every time he'd gone to the loo.

As a result, and with his blessing, I've now ordered some more, including some thermal ones for the winter (last year he really felt the cold quite badly).

my hubby is in care and i buy him his elasticated waist trousers from amazon make sure you buy from raw hide denim they wash well look good and smart

soozi

Jan 1, 2014
Hi All, I had problems finding the right elastic waist trousers for my father. One of the problems, was that he used to struggle with the buttons and zips, which meant he had numerous accidents, while we were out as he didn't want to, stand there with his trousers around his ankles, whilst in a public loo, which I quite understand. I found a great company called Kazco, who will adapt the trousers for you. They replace the button or zip or both with Velcro. This has given my father more independence and accidents are now few and far between. The trousers themselves were also a higher quality than the others I had seen and very reasonably priced too :).

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I went down the jogging bottoms route but bought the jersey material type but the care home shrunk them all in the wash. Going to try cotton traders. X
Be careful care home don't do it again, Cotton Traders joggers are great but if washed hotter than 30 - they will shrink. Mum's have and now she looks a bit silly with ankles showing so I am about to buy a couple more pairs with longer legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.