What to look out for in Financial Assessment

GarageDragon

Jan 20, 2015
My mother is about to have a financial assessment as the very first step in getting a social worker assigned. Is this usual? She is about to (next week hopefully!!!) have an op, following which she will stay in a care home for a couple of days before getting back to her own home. Any tips on what to expect or look out for very gratefully received.

(The reason for the op then care home is that the op is going to be done as an out-patient in a facility without overnight accommodation, because (apparently) this is the only way it can be done under local anaesthetic rather than general. Otherwise it would (apparently) have been scheduled at the local hospital, where overnight accommodation exists and assessments could be carried out prior to release. The organisation of this (much needed) op is proving to be neither easy nor intuitive).

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
There is really nothing to look out for when having a financial assessment. It is just a case of usable assets being declared. They will take into account expenditure too so not all of the assets will be taken into account. Presumably it is because of the stay in the care home.

If it is it is simply to work out how much your Mother can afford to pay towards those two days. It may be she will have to cover it all, or some of it or perhaps none of it. It will all depend on her disposable assets, e.g. Pensions and savings.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"If it is it is simply to work out how much your Mother can afford to pay towards those two days"

The two days should be free under 6 weeks free >>>REABLEMENT<<< Although this is usually delivered in the person's home it can be delivered in a care home if this is more appropriate.

Financial assessments should not be carried out until a needs assessment has been done.

GarageDragon

Jan 20, 2015
Thanks nitram and jaymor for responding, it has helped reduce some of the anxiety. There still seems doubt as to whether my mother qualifies under the reablement umbrella, maybe because it is a scheduled operation to fix a worsening problem rather than emergency surgery??

I have finally managed to speak to 'Client Financial Services' who tell me that this visit cannot be a financial assessment, and must therefore be a needs assessment, which should then trigger a financial assessement request...

I remain on tenterhooks about the social worker visit this afternoon though!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Whether the surgery is emergency or elective does not alter reablement which is provided to get the person back to the state of independence they were in before the surgery.

What can effect it is if the person is rapidly deteriorating making a return to the status quo not worth attempting.

Be firm with the social worker, do not disclose any financial details at this stage, tell them of your conversation with 'Client Financial Services' .

CLAIREDAY

Account on hold
Apr 22, 2015
Whether the surgery is emergency or elective does not alter reablement which is provided to get the person back to the state of independence they were in before the surgery.

What can effect it is if the person is rapidly deteriorating making a return to the status quo not worth attempting.

Be firm with the social worker, do not disclose any financial details at this stage, tell them of your conversation with 'Client Financial Services' .

One thing I would say is if the programme goes over the free time only your mother's income / assets can be taken in to account.

I know a carer who was in hospital for 60 days and her mother who she was caring for had very little money.

The social worker did try to say the daughter should pay for the care as she was the one causing the care to be needed.
This was not legally the case.

You can not be held liable for your mother's fees.

Claire

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77