Kylie Sheets for night use

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
My mother has dementia and is in a care home. She is continent during the day and asks to go to the toilet. However, at night she is occasionally incontinent. I have provided the home with Kylie sheets to use as mother gets soaking wet, right up into her hair.

The management at the home have said that they will not use the sheets as they cause skin problems........
However, the staff have expressed to me that the Kylie sheets are fantastic and work really well.

Can you give me some advice, if you have experienced this.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Can you clarify - are they using another incontinence product (pads or briefs) instead of the Kylie sheet or what?

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
Hi Jennifer,
Yes, they are using padded briefs. But she rips these off the first time she goes to the loo during the night. Also, I dont like the idea of her going to bed in padded briefs as Im sure it will eventually encourage her to become completely incontinent.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Glyn

I used Kylie sheets for John when he was at home, without any problems at all. He also wore pads, because he produced copious amounts of urine during the night. It sounds as if your mum is the same.

They use pads in the NH, but no Kylies. But then the staff are there to change him regularly during the night.

I found Kylies excellent, and they didn't cause any skin problems. But I expect each NH has its own system. Perhaps it's to do with the laundry? They do take an awful lot of drying.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Ah I see. I wondered because my mother would do exactly the same thing - remove the briefs at the first opportunity.

I think part of the perceived problem with the Kylie pads are that they can encourage care staff to get sloppy - i.e. leave the person in the bed even when it's wet. Also, they don't last an indefinite amount of time. Still if they work for your mother I would see if you can get in touch with the local continence advisor and see if there are really any tissue viability issues with them. If there are maybe you could see if the situation could be dealt with by getting her up regularly during the night. If there aren't issues then you've got professional advice on your side and you could point out in a nice way that as this works for your mother, there are no health issues and this is supposed to be your mother's home, this is what you want to happen.

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
Thanks for reply.
I will get in touch with the Advisor and get the facts from their point of view.

With regard the cleaning of the sheets, we have said that we will clean and return them ourselves, so there should be no issue with that.

merlin

Aug 2, 2006
Surrey
Glyn

From your details it seems to me you are doing the care home's work for them. What is the night shift doing? obviously asleep!!

Kylie sheets are fine and I've used them with no side effects but it is not your job to supply them nor is it your job to wash the sheets. Seems to me it is a neglect of the home's duty, after all someone pays them to look after your parent.

Hope it helps, have a go at them.

Merlin

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
dear Glyn,
i can see where your coming from,i am continence advisor in the home i work in.pads are not advised for nighttime due to pressure areas becoming more vunerable.lIt might seem stupid but lying in urine with a pad in situ can cause pressure danage,lying in urine that gets soaked into kylies equally damaging.Let the urine soak and not lie on the skin is the best thing.if pads are worn there should be frequent checks to assertain wether a change is needed.am on one now sorry.
love elainex

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
What is the night shift doing - asleep?
Perhaps I am lucky where my husband is but they are awake throughout the night. My husband is in a E.M.I. Unit and although he is in the last stage does go wandering. I had a phone call at 2 a.m. to tell me my husband was in A & E whereby he had knocked his head very badly. One of the Staff went with him and there she stayed until 6 in the morning. If they had not been awake and doing their nightly checks, my husband could have been in his room on the floor all night.
Sorry to be blunt, but I have spent too many hours day and night and yes perhaps I am fortunate in my choice of Care Home for my husband.
Perhaps now I will be warned for being blunt.
Christine

glyn

Nov 23, 2006
I have spoken with the Incontinent Nurse who has said that mother should drink only de-caffinated tea and keep off any blackcurrant drinks, as they are a diuretic. She has suggested that we try a pad in mesh knickers for a week and then review it. She does not recommend Kylie sheets!! - back to square one. So, I have to wait for another week to see the outcome. The management at the home are definitely agsinst the Kylies.
My mother has such a chronic phobia of water/baths/showers etc that getting her straight out of bed in the mornings and into a bath is horrendous for her, and stresses her to an extreme.....its really cruel. There must be an answer

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hello Glyn

When our Mum was in hospital they used very very large wet wipe type things to clean her. The CH will probably know how to get hold of these. There are also some baby products - lotions etc which reduce the need for water.
Hopefully the phobia will pass (but that's not to say it won't be replaced by another !)
Regards
germain

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
sorry but.....

Hi Glyn.i cannot believ that home is against using Kylies?at the end of the day they are used for dignity for resisdents?to avoid them wetting the bed?dignity privacy and respect maintained at all times.am shocked.love elaionex

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti