Live in carer at home?

lookingglass

Nov 7, 2014
Hi I was wondering if anyone has experience of a live in carer from an agency looking after their loved one?
My mum is getting increasingly unable to do things and Alzheimers has worsened considerably. She is 94 and lives alone with carers and myself assisting her. She does not like having carers and is confused as to who is coming when. She can be rude to them and resents them being there but can not manage without really.
The agency have said they provide 24 hr live in care where a carer moves in to the house for 3-4 week periods and then another one swaps. We are wondering if this would be a viable alternative (better than a care home)? Anyone ever used this service? It sounds a bit odd having someone live in for 3 weeks at a time.

Any thoughts welcome!

TDA

Mar 3, 2015
we have one

We have a live in carer for my mum and she's fab. My father died just before xmas, he had been main carer with daily assistance from me, I moved in with mum and stayed for 3 months, but it wasn't an ideal situation so we looked for live in care.

The lady stays for max 6 weeks at a time, then 2 weeks off, 6 on etc, 14 hrs free time a week, which is mainly covered by mums 2 days at a local day centre, but if she needs help at any other time, we are not far away. Its expensive but working well so far, few hiccups as to be expected but nothing we can't manage.

I won't put the company name, but you can message me if you want to know.
Alison

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I also know a family who are using a live in carer and they have found it to be wonderful, their arrangement costs about the same as a decent care home and the elderly lady is very happy with the arrangement too. They have found it to be excellent with far more choice for all concerned than a care home.

This would have been the route we would have gone.

The only proviso I would put in is to make sure that she isn't isolated but I'm sure you are on top of that.

Good luck

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
We too now have a live-in carer for Mum (with Alzheimer's) & Dad (very frail) and it is working out brilliantly.

There was initial resistance (mostly from Mum) so we introduced it as 5 days to help Dad recover from an infection and just kept extending it.... that was back in February... The continuity of 1 person over several different carers appearing 3 times a day has made a big difference to Mum & Dad.

The Carer is absolutely wonderful and has been with Mum & Dad since 27th Feb full time with only a couple of hours off per day (which she seems to fit around their snoozes or other family visits). Her contract states a 9 hour working day, but if she needs to get up in the night, she does. Not quite sure how the company works this out, but when we've voiced our concerns, the carer has repeatedly told us that she is more than happy with the set up. My sister and I have a lot of daily contact with the carer & Mum & Dad, via visits, 'phone and WhatsApp (!). From what the carer tells us, this is a little unusual - but very welcome.

She is going for a well earned weeks holiday tomorrow and today a relief carer arrived for a 24 hour handover. The agency sent us CV's before they started and we were able to specify what was most important to us.

In our case our top 3 priorities were: Dementia experience; Very clear English (Dad is very deaf) and Friendly, chatty and happy disposition. The agency office staff and the carers Manager(s) have all been very helpful too.

Cost wise, it's considerably cheaper than the upmarket care home that we tried back in October (which Mum & Dad didn't like, but couldn't explain why)

So from our point of view, we have nothing but praise for Live-in Caring...

I hope this helps. Elizabeth.

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
TDA and Elizabeth Ann - would you be able to private message me please with details of the agency you use? I'm not sure how to send a private message! My Mum went into a care home yesterday for 2 weeks respite. They are lovely so who knows but I know she would prefer to be at home.
Cost wise it is cheaper to have live on care but Mum is funded by social services and they won't find live on care so does anyone know how we could get some help with the cost?
Thank you

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I'm not sure how to send a private message!

Just click on the name of the person you want to message. A drop box will appear. Click on the one marked "contact member" and off you go.:) When there is a reply it will pop up at the top where it says "My contacts & Inbox".

Happy messaging.:)

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
TDA and Elizabeth Ann - would you be able to private message me please with details of the agency you use? I'm not sure how to send a private message! My Mum went into a care home yesterday for 2 weeks respite. They are lovely so who knows but I know she would prefer to be at home.
Cost wise it is cheaper to have live on care but Mum is funded by social services and they won't find live on care so does anyone know how we could get some help with the cost?
Thank you

Hello Maldives13, I've sent you details via a PM :) Kind regards, Elizabeth.

ChocolateButton

Feb 27, 2015
I do this

Hi,

I'm a live in carer for a gentleman with vascular dementia. I live in his home for 3 weeks at a time, then I have 2 weeks off to return to my own home and do whatever I like. I'm not an agency worker - just a private individual, paid directly from my client. The arrangement works really well - my time at home "recharges" me so I'm fresh for my 3 weeks at work, and it's lovely to be greeted at work with a hug.

Angela T

Jul 13, 2014
France
This is what I what I would have preferred for my mother - she always said she wanted to stay at home but, increasingly, she could not manage alone.

Sadly for her, she was resistant to the carers we introduced by the hour, so we knew she would no way accept a "stranger" living in her home 24/7.

Care by the hour is expensive, but if you use an agency specalised in 24/7 care, it works out cheaper than many nursing home fees.

I think for it to work well, you need to live nearby, and be on hand. It is also important to have carers who speak clear English.

One of my mother's close friends, who was more accepting, had carers for years and it was marvellous. She lived in a lovely home and was able to stay there.

I regret we could not do this for my mother - she had a lovely flat and the extra rooms (bedroom, bathroom...) to accommodate a carer - but she was too "territorial".

I can PM the name of the care agency which was highly recommended, and which my mother's close friend used for years.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
You could try applying for CHC funding if your mother's health needs warrant it but otherwise, I really don't think there is a way of getting funding for 24 hour care if the LA (SS) are contributing.
I think if there was a way, far more people would be doing it. Certainly the Local Authority won't fund overnight care as far as I am aware.
Of course, if you can afford it, then you can do it yourself but this is beyond the means of most people who have families to think about too.

Angela T

Jul 13, 2014
France
You could try applying for CHC funding if your mother's health needs warrant it but otherwise, I really don't think there is a way of getting funding for 24 hour care if the LA (SS) are contributing.
I think if there was a way, far more people would be doing it. Certainly the Local Authority won't fund overnight care as far as I am aware.
Of course, if you can afford it, then you can do it yourself but this is beyond the means of most people who have families to think about too.

Yes I forgot to add that I think live-in care works when you are self-funding, I don't think this would be covered by LA or NHS funding.