I need a drink......... anyone want to join me???

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Are we starting again ?? Oh go on then I'll just have the one....... just to be sociable ..... hic !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
3rd white wine spritzer of the day for me. :p Cheers, people. Happy birthday, Daisy.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Its not often I drink at home, but I had 2 small bottles of wine tucked away and boy did I need a drink last night.
Not particularly stressful, but with Mum with AD & Dad with cognitive impairment one of those days where you either laugh or cry.

The night before Mum had rung me at 10pm. She couldn't find her glasses.
Told her to get her spare pair, and I would help her look for them in the morning.
7am I go over to help look and here they are on her kitchen bench.
She couldn't remember phoning me of course but Dad had told her that I had brought them over?!

Dad (known as a practical joker) had a grin on his face.
" Dad did you hide Mums glasses?"
" No, they were in your car and you brought them over" with a smirk.

I honestly couldn't tell, if
A) he had hidden them as a joke and then put them on the bench and then tried to cover up.
B) Mum had lost them, and he had found them, and to save Mum face told her I had found them in my car and brought them over .... If so he should have told me this first so I could play along :mad:

Then later that day I go over to find Dad mucking about with the vaccuum cleaner. Dad had tried DIY, which had made it worse. So bad in fact it was overheating.
He had stuck the filter over the entrance to the dust bag, so the dust and dirt had nowhere to go. He had broken the actual filter cover and had tried mending it with electrical tape but in doing so had covered up some of the vents on the motor. Plus 3 other broken parts. Must be all recent, as I had not long emptied it and cleaned all the filters? Needless to say, it probably would have blown up.
My mission today in our gloomy wet weather is to go shopping for a vacuum cleaner for them :rolleyes:

FozzyC

Aug 3, 2014
Staffordshire
Oh the vacuum DIY, made me laugh in recognition! Mom and Dads vac hose broke but dad insisted he would fix it, er yes he did, he taped on a sawn off piece of a fishing rod container tube. Ok, I admit, it's not aesthetically pleasing but it works? For now!

It was an improvement on super gluing moms gold chain, and indeed using super glue to put a pleat in his boxers to reduce the waistband as mom hadn't machined them to suit his reduced waistline!

He was always a handyman, but I'm afraid age and dementia make the combi of tools, glue and confidence a dangerous one!

Gin and tonic for me!

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Oh the vacuum DIY, made me laugh in recognition! Mom and Dads vac hose broke but dad insisted he would fix it, er yes he did, he taped on a sawn off piece of a fishing rod container tube. Ok, I admit, it's not aesthetically pleasing but it works? For now!

It was an improvement on super gluing moms gold chain, and indeed using super glue to put a pleat in his boxers to reduce the waistband as mom hadn't machined them to suit his reduced waistline!

He was always a handyman, but I'm afraid age and dementia make the combi of tools, glue and confidence a dangerous one!

Gin and tonic for me!

Oh My. Sounds like my Dad exactly.
He tries to mend everything with superglue, string and electrical tape.

Including his false teeth... super glue that is :)
and one time replacing a nozzle from a tube of eye ointment that he lost down the plug hole, with a nozzle from a tube of superglue :eek::eek::eek:

Dad lacks spatial awareness, and this seems to translate now to all his DIY jobs.