A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Deborah. It sounds as if your itching problems are much more complex than mine are.

Originally I thought Statins were the cause but the GP said if they were the itching wouldn't be localised.

I can only identify one other possible cause of the itching because nothing has changed in my life, no detergents, soaps or clothes which could be considered responsible.

I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the few insect bites I had during my last week in India. I didn't have any bites during the first three weeks because we didn't see any flies. During the last week of very high temperatures, the flies came out and even thought I thought I'd protected myself I must have missed parts of my legs.

A couple of years ago I had a very itchy arm due to an allergic reaction to a bite and I'm putting two and two together as its too much of a coincidence.

Be careful Deborah if your skin is so sensitive. Be careful when you are walking Buddy in parks and fields in the summer when the insects are out to get you. :eek:

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
A relief to hear that you feel much more like your usual self today, Sylvia. I hope you enjoyed getting out to the shops. Lovely day here although windy.

The itch could be due to the insect bites in India. In Australia I got bitten and one on my arm was particularly bad. But it was once home that problems arose. I was eventually referred to a dermatologist, but no help at all. GP prescribed various creams but nothing really helped. Then a long time afterwards it seemed to cure itself.​

I remember being told by someone I should not have worn dark colours, and I did have black and navy trousers and a long skirt, as well as coloured clothing. Often wearing them on warm evening walks to cover my legs instead of the usual white or coloured shorts. Who knows….

Henry had no problems at all, and he wasn’t wearing dark clothing! But even in Scotland it was me the midges headed for and never bothered him at all!

Anyway, I hope the antihistamines have indeed helped, you now get relief and continue to feel like your usual self.

Love
Loo xx

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
A couple of things that have occurred to me as I've read this post;
Red-Bush tea....love it
My arms itch. Sometimes uncontrollably, only Eurax stops the itch but bath oil ( I think it's called Oilatum) really helps prevent it. I think it's post menopausal dryness and always worse in the summer.
Only just back from India and we're off to China with Trisha!!!
Exciting times

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Thank you Deborah. It sounds as if your itching problems are much more complex than mine are.

Originally I thought Statins were the cause but the GP said if they were the itching wouldn't be localised.

I can only identify one other possible cause of the itching because nothing has changed in my life, no detergents, soaps or clothes which could be considered responsible.

I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the few insect bites I had during my last week in India. I didn't have any bites during the first three weeks because we didn't see any flies. During the last week of very high temperatures, the flies came out and even thought I thought I'd protected myself I must have missed parts of my legs.

A couple of years ago I had a very itchy arm due to an allergic reaction to a bite and I'm putting two and two together as its too much of a coincidence.

Be careful Deborah if your skin is so sensitive. Be careful when you are walking Buddy in parks and fields in the summer when the insects are out to get you. :eek:

Thank you Sylvia, I have special summer dog walking trousers which taper at the ankles, and a wondrous old pair of brown silk 'harem' pants too, which are perfect because they actually tie at the ankles. I was particularly interested in Helen's trousers in your Indian photos because they looked perfect for dog walking. :D In colder weather I have tapering jogging type leggings, and also tuck my trousers into wellies. I'm pretty clued up about denying flying things the run of my dither pins. :D

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
So pleased to see the Itchy scratchy is getting better Sylvia, and hope it stays that way. Have you tried nettle tea, and fennel? Not very nice, but with a spoonful of honey they're ok.

I'm still waiting for my second GP appointment. Stopped using shower gel on arms and legs, and am now using only water. My arms ( where it started) are now much better, dry but no longer itchy, but my legs have started to itch like mad, and rubbing with a towel makes it bleed! I'm beginning now to think of strange things like spider bites, bedbugs, ringworm from visiting dogs, bird mites....but probably the best cure will be time, and rest.

Hope my fantasies haven't alarmed you!

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
So pleased to see the Itchy scratchy is getting better Sylvia, and hope it stays that way. Have you tried nettle tea, and fennel? Not very nice, but with a spoonful of honey they're ok.

I'm still waiting for my second GP appointment. Stopped using shower gel on arms and legs, and am now using only water. My arms ( where it started) are now much better, dry but no longer itchy, but my legs have started to itch like mad, and rubbing with a towel makes it bleed! I'm beginning now to think of strange things like spider bites, bedbugs, ringworm from visiting dogs, bird mites....but probably the best cure will be time, and rest.

Hope my fantasies haven't alarmed you!

This sounds awful, Anne :eek: Hope the GP can come up with something and / or you actually manage to get some rest :)

Lindy xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Your skin problems could be stress related Anne, not that I`ve any medical training. I hope your GP manages to ease it for you. It`s so distressing to keep scratching all the time and it`s also almost impossible to resist.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Your skin problems could be stress related Anne, not that I`ve any medical training. I hope your GP manages to ease it for you. It`s so distressing to keep scratching all the time and it`s also almost impossible to resist.

Yes, that's most likely to be the reason, and nothing bizarre!

I hope the sun shines tomorrow for us all....

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hi Sylvia. Popping in late with a suggestion about your itchy legs...

1J had hip op nearly 3 weeks ago and after 2 weeks, he felt "itchy". We thought it was due to operation etc, but it turns out to be that he is slightly anaemic. Wonder if that could have caused your itches....

xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
After nearly a week without any creams or ointments, but just showering arms and legs with water, my arms, where the problem began, are much better, but my legs are screaming to be scratched every evening. GP appointment tomorrow.

Hope your itchiness is going away too, Stlvia. Maybe it's a springtime mystery thing. Just remembered I used to get itchiness every spring when I was a teenager, went away as I got older. Could it be hormonal? Or an allergy?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks for all tips and hints.

I`m so much better now and the itching is almost over, just a couple of sensitive patches remaining.

I`m sure mine was an allergic reaction to bites from India, bearing in mind I had something similar before but on one arm which bore the puncture marks of a bite for ages.

I`m being careful, only using Baby Oil in the bath and moistening my legs with the emollient from the GP. It seems to be working. I`m still taking to night time antihistamine, the one which is supposed to make me drowsy but doesn`t. It might have some effect because I had a full night`s sleep last night which is very unusual for me.

I hope all who are struggling with similar problems get them sorted. It doesn`t sound much in the greater scheme of things but its pretty difficult to live with.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
So glad things are nearly back to normal for you Sylvia. I can remember when I had given birth to my first baby and something happened to my lower legs and feet. Both feet looked like two rubber gloves blown up and I had red blotches all over my lower legs. I scratched and scratched and the Sister on the ward made me lie on the bed with my legs up the wall. She insisted it would be good for circulation and i would not be able to reach them to scratch. Never did find out what caused it.

Don't go doing too much and take care.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
It is good to hear you feel much better, Sylvia, and the worst sounds past. You will feel the benefit of a full night’s sleep last night, and here’s to that continuing.

Yes itching is difficult to live with and no matter how strong willed you try to be about not scratching it is almost compulsive.

Causes of itches also difficult to track down but it does sound like an allergic reaction to the bites in India.

Take care
Love
Loo xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew2024