Vascular dementia I lost my beautiful mum tragically

Happygolucky260

Apr 16, 2015
I am so sad I've had a whirlwind week my mum has had vascular dementia for approx 4 years and last 6 months she seemed to be getting a little worse but still mobile and looking well for 79.Easter Sunday she went to the cemetery to put flowers on her mothers my grandmas grave but mum had a nasty fall and bumped her head.I am still trying to come to terms with this as the hospital seem to think her heart had stopped and then she fell as she had no bruising on her arms as though she couldn't prevent the fall.The ambulance took 30 minutes to arrive and when I arrived at the hospital she was on a ventilator and they said she had been starved of oxygen for too long.She was taken to intensive care but doctors said there was nothing they could do so the ventilator was switched off and mum being a fighter carried on breathing for 8 and a half hours.She flickered her eyes when we each talked to her and sadly on Easter Monday she passed away.The funeral was on Monday but I am so devastated.I'm strong one minute and crumbling the next.I am heartbroken such a sudden shock.We were doing activities together and mum seemed fine physically.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read of your mum's passing. What a dreadful shock for you. Sending my condolences.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
How terribly sad for you and a great shock that it was so sudden and unexpected. I am so sorry and sad for you, and wish you strength at this very difficult time. It will take time to come to terms with the loss of your Mum. Deepest sympathy to you.

Loo x

Happygolucky260

Apr 16, 2015
Thank you for your kind words.I'm the youngest in our family at 38 and I just feel she had so much life left in her.I'm so sad and keep thinking of my childhood and all the lovely memories we have and our dementia cafe visits every week.I feel lost

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I am so sorry to hear this Happygolucky :(

What a terrible shock for you and your family, when your mum was so active. I can understand how devastated you must feel.

Sending you condolences and very best wishes

Lindy xx

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
So saddened to read of your Mother's tragic accident and subsequent passing - Happygolucky What a shock for you and your family. Of course you feel heartbroken that she was taken in such a horrible way - be kind to yourself and take time to come to terms with what has happened. My thoughts are with you WIFE

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm so sorry to read of your Mum's passing. Please accept my condolences at this sad time for you and your family.

Love,

Lyn T XX

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Like everyone else, I'm so sorry to read of this, Happygolucky. What a terrible thing to happen, it's no wonder you are reeling from the shock. Please accept my deepest sympathy and condolences. Wishing you strength for the coming days and weeks xx

Happygolucky260

Apr 16, 2015
Thank you for all your kind words my 4 year old and 6 year old are keeping me busy but just such a feeling of emptiness my beautiful mum has left us.I am struggling with it all xx