Don't know what to do

1953barney

Nov 5, 2013
Suffolk
Mum has Alzeimers, is 87 years old and lives with me. Over the last 3/4 days she has started coughing a lot and is always spitting into a tissue. The main problem now is that her legs are giving up and she is hardly able to walk with her frame and struggles to lift the frame to move forward. She has a carer am and pm but I'm here for the rest of the day. She just says I will be glad when I'm better. She has started doing strange things such as trying to put her cup on the table but she hasn't anything in her hand. She is not eating very much although I do her small amounts of all sorts and her drinking is not really enough either. Do I ring the doctor, or hospital as I don't want to call people unnecessarily but I don't like to see mum like this either. I do hold her from the back so she doesn't fall but she is a dead weight and don't know how long I can do this. I know the carers feel useless but I know they cannot lift her.

rollercoasters

Apr 7, 2015
I have had the same problem and calling adult social services did not help as mum did not tick all the boxes which I suspect is the same for your mum. I contacted her doctor and within a day mum had carers in 3 times a day and night sitter.This helped greatly but unfortunately mum had a fall and was taken in hospital and then onto nursing home.I feel for you but do try your gp .With the eating issue much the same so days you seem to be fighting a loosing battle,my mum was putting food in her handbag not nice when you have take something out of the bag and it is covered in food.
T

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I think you should call her gp, at least get the cough checked out.

JASA

Apr 8, 2015
Delirium?

Your Mum may have a delirium which is an acute state of confusion. It's very common in people living with dementia and difficult to detect when confusion already exists. Can be caused by many things including infection, medication side effects or even a change of location. Don't be afraid to ask for help, that's what the GP is for. Contact your GP and ask for a delirium screen ASAP.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello barney :)

From what you have said, I definitely think you need the GP to come and see mum. She may well have an infection that could be cleared up and then her behaviour might revert more to 'normal'. Definitely get her checked out, I'd say :)

Also I am concerned that you say you are taking your mum's weight. This really isn't good for either of you ultimately.....what happens if you injure yourself? I would get the GP to assess mum's mobility as well as any infection. Hopefully he will refer her for some rehabilitation with a physio or OT.

Also do arrange more help short term if you can. Not sure whether mum is self funding. If so, that should be quite easy, if not, let adult social care know her needs are changing.

All the best, hope things improve soon.

Lindy xx

1953barney

Nov 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi thanks all I did decided to call the GP who has just been to see her and said she has an infection in one lung. He checked her legs and told her she needed to sit with them up as she has fluid on them, she does take water tablets but as she doesn't drink much she is not going to he toilet much at all. He go me the number of Suffolk Family Carers and suggests I give them a ring as they will be able to help m out especially with a little respite, which I don't have at the moment.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi thanks all I did decided to call the GP who has just been to see her and said she has an infection in one lung. He checked her legs and told her she needed to sit with them up as she has fluid on them, she does take water tablets but as she doesn't drink much she is not going to he toilet much at all. He go me the number of Suffolk Family Carers and suggests I give them a ring as they will be able to help m out especially with a little respite, which I don't have at the moment.

I'm glad the GP came out barney :) I'm assuming he prescribed antibiotics for the infection.

Do get on to the Family Carers as soon as you can. The GP obviously feels you need a break - we all do sometimes :)

All the best again

Lindy xx

1953barney

Nov 5, 2013
Suffolk
I'm glad the GP came out barney :) I'm assuming he prescribed antibiotics for the infection.

Do get on to the Family Carers as soon as you can. The GP obviously feels you need a break - we all do sometimes :)

All the best again

Lindy xx

Thanks Lindy, yes I think I do need a break too. Mum has changed so much in the last couple of week with her walking, talking and she takes her pads and everything off during the night then the bed is wet everyday. She just says someone creeps in during the night takes them off. It's taking over half hour to walk with her to the toilet each time and she is so exhausted then. She won't eat much or drink much either. I have only spoken to her Social Worker twice on the phone she has never been to the house so I am spending this morning trying to track her down! The carers am and pm are lovely with mum but it's a struggle as they can't lift or anything. Think we must be getting to another crossroad of this horrid disease!!!!

I am ringing family carers also this morning.
Thank you so much

Trish (Barney was my lovely dog I used to have ) xx

skaface

Jul 18, 2011
Ramsgate
Could her not drinking enough be the cause of the delirium?

My elderly aunt was hospitalised a year back because she was dehydrated and they told her that it can cause confusion so now I get my mum to drink when I'm there, and her carers also make sure she has drinks.

Bit worried that the social worker hasn't been near, when I involved KCC SS late February mum had a SW come round to do an assessment and create a care plan for her which is now in place.

1953barney

Nov 5, 2013
Suffolk
Could her not drinking enough be the cause of the delirium?

My elderly aunt was hospitalised a year back because she was dehydrated and they told her that it can cause confusion so now I get my mum to drink when I'm there, and her carers also make sure she has drinks.

Bit worried that the social worker hasn't been near, when I involved KCC SS late February mum had a SW come round to do an assessment and create a care plan for her which is now in place.

Mum had a care plan in Lincolnshire where we used to live and then when we moved to Suffolk 2/3 months ago I was told that they would continue paying for carers for 6 weeks after we moved. This time has now gone and I was hoping the SW would make an appearance but she hasn't as yet. Mums mobility is becoming an issue now plus the removing of all incontenance pads no wetting the bed, just don't understand why she does this each night.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson