is death from stroke common?

rbrown

Jan 22, 2015
I'm trying to look on the internet but nothing is of much use, he was originally diagnosed with alzheimer's but I'm not so sure since he's had strokes so really nothing is helping my search.

My grandad had another stroke this morning and his brain is bleeding so there is not really any hope, he won't be operated on as he is likely to die during surgery. I don't know it'd just comfort me if I knew what to expect if anyone could help it would be appreciated massively.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hello rbrown

Sorry to read your Grandad had another stroke this morning:(

The time immediately following stroke is difficult, many people are not operated on for various reasons.

I hope he is comfortable and well looked after and that he will come through this stroke as he has others.

Take care
Sue

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I know you'd like an answer but we can't really give you one. It depends on where the stroke is, how much the brain is affected, other diseases etc.

Certainly some people die from stroke but others live through many strokes. I am sorry we can't put your mind at ease.

rbrown

Jan 22, 2015
Thank you Sue and Soobee for responding, even a response has made me feel that bit better even if you can't answer my questions so thank you. He is comfortable, so hopefully it's not too severe but I don't know where the damage is to the brain.

Thanks a lot

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hello again rbrown

It also depends what has caused the stroke as to what recovery there may be and it does take time.

Don't give up hope. You could try and speak to the Dr responsible for his care to give you more information.
Best wishes
Sue

flower1

Apr 12, 2013
My mum had a stroke five years ago, they said in hospital that she would not survive but she did. Been in nursing home since hospital. Now in late/severe stage vascular dementia (as originally diagnosed as front lobal stroke). Been a long hard journey but mum is still fighting on. I wish you all the best.

rbrown

Jan 22, 2015
Hi again Sue, he's in the later stages, he has had mini strokes in the past which have worsened the dementia but this time it's a major one. I went to the hospital to see him and he's just asleep and unresponsive, but I don't know where the bleed is so hopefully it might not be worse case scenario.

Flower1, thanks for sharing it's good to hear your mum is still going after something destructive such as stroke, wish you and your mum the best.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hello, just popping in to give you some reassurance about the wonderful work stroke units do. My husband had a major stroke almost 2 years ago, which at the time left him totally paralysed. He had to be turned in bed. He too has had many smaller strokes, discovered by the MRI. I have learnt that the brain is very complex but also very clever as it will in time make new neural pathways around the damaged area. My husband is now able to walk the dog, but only slowly and short distances. But we are thankful for that. But it takes time and a lot of work. The stroke units are amazing in their skilled support. Hoping you have better news soon x

rbrown

Jan 22, 2015
Thank you Mary, I'll hope for the best, good to hear that your husband is doing so well :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95