Wills storage.

happyhacker

Aug 11, 2014
It bothers me that if we do reciprocal Wills there is no formal registered storage so that a person applying for probate cannot circumvent an existing ("missing") Will. What is the best way of ensuring an existing Will is used when applying for probate and that it does not get lost deliberately or otherwise when it comes into force?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As well as leaving it with a solicitor you can register where it is held
http://www.certainty.co.uk/

There is little you can do about somebody ignoring the existence of a will it's up to you to choose your executor(s) with care and tell them where the will is stored. If it won't cause conflict also tell others who the executor(s) are.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Mine and my wife's wills are stored in our 2 daughter's banks. One of them has the original and the other a certified copy.
Our bungalow is owned on a tenants in common basis so if say my wife died I could not sell the bungalow as they will be legal / beneficial owners.

William

happyhacker

Aug 11, 2014
I have now found out from the Gov. probate service that Wills can be stored there for £20. There is a leaflet PA7. I assume that when one dies the executors when checking for a will and applying for probate this will trigger the Will to be released.

Be interested if anyone has experience of this service.